PDA

View Full Version : Large Cent from hammered spot in the woods

don in ny
08-16-2014, 06:30 AM
My coil stopped working the other day. I was talking with Don and Carol, members of my club and they both have CTX's also and they had 2 17" loops. They said they rarely use both of them and might want to sell one and offered to let me try it out. I picked it up and decided to give it a try after dinner last night. I went to a spot that I had pounded and also brought 5 other people to detect at. Last time I was there with Don and Carol none of us found anything. It's been a great spot and produced seated quarters, a seated half dollar, Indians and a half dozen LC's. I figured maybe the 17" loop might help. It did. I was there about 45 minutes and get a digable signal and low and behold, out pops an 1846 large cent. It was pretty close to a small sapling and I couldn't even get the loop flat on the ground, but it was a signal worth digging. It was just about dark as you can tell from the picture taken at the site, but I plan on going back to see what else I can pull. I guess I'll be buying this loop from them.

I cleaned it up a bit and I think it looks better now.

Robbie
08-16-2014, 12:05 PM
That`s a beauty ,it cleaned up nice, love the detail

Isaac
08-16-2014, 02:49 PM
VERY nice copper. Excellent find! :thumbsup02:

coinnut
08-16-2014, 06:03 PM
That baby is in nice shape Don :shocked04: What a good looking coin. I have the 17" coil and love it Great for fields at cellar holes. It even does a good job when there are a lot of targets close by. You just have to slow down a bit. I just got an 11" coil back from Minelab. The other one quit on me too. I hope this one works out. Nice strong strike on that copper :perfect10:

aloldstuff
08-16-2014, 06:06 PM
That LC really cleaned up nice. I'd be keeping that coil myself. :congrats:

CTTodd
08-16-2014, 07:09 PM
Nice coin Don. Do you think you hit it because the 17 let you look deeper?

The Rebel
08-16-2014, 07:31 PM
WTG on the LC! Awesome shape!

wisconsin digger
08-16-2014, 09:07 PM
I bought a large coil last year. They are a bit trickier to use but definitely worth having in your arsenal. Nice looking LC. WD

don in ny
08-17-2014, 06:35 AM
Nice coin Don. Do you think you hit it because the 17 let you look deeper?

I think so Todd, but you never know. What I do know is I've pounded this spot since I first found it early last year. My first time there I pull a seated half dollar and seated quarter out of the same hole. Since then I've pulled other seated, Barber, Indians, about 8 LC's and a bunch of other stuff. I've also invited 5 friends to this site and 4 of them were also using the CTX. For only about 2 acres or so this spot has been hit really hard. I would think one of us would have pulled this large cent. The LC was located right next to a small sapling so you couldn't get your coil square to the coin, but this picked it up from about a 35 degree angle.

I'm going to try some other spots I've hammered and see what turns up. Then I'll decide if I think the 17" loop made a difference. I think it is probably good for those fields that haven't been cut well and you can't get your loop flat on the ground.

Tony Two-Cent
08-17-2014, 09:52 AM
Beautiful large cent! It must have been brand new when it was dropped.

:congrats:

Restoring Your Finds
08-18-2014, 04:05 PM
Very nice LC Don. Congrats !

I think it is probably good for those fields that haven't been cut well and you can't get your loop flat on the ground.

Exactly what I needed this summer...

BTV Digger
08-18-2014, 09:39 PM
Great LC Don, and it cleaned up really nice.

John

giant056
08-19-2014, 03:52 AM
Very nice ole large cent you found there Don :thumbsup02:

leslie(nova scotia)
08-19-2014, 12:42 PM
Nice oldies me son. No one and I mean no one every get it all so as many have said....no place is truly dug out!

Beartoe
08-19-2014, 01:04 PM
I love the looks of the LC. .

I found my first and only LC last spring. It is amazing how a copper penny can be so exciting.

Congratulations! :congrats:

don in ny
08-19-2014, 05:05 PM
I love the looks of the LC. .

I found my first and only LC last spring. It is amazing how a copper penny can be so exciting.

Congratulations! :congrats:

Beartoe, being that you're in NY state, there should be plenty more out there for you.

Digger Don
08-19-2014, 08:32 PM
That Large Cent Is a Beauty. You did a fantastic job cleaning it, the detail is amazing.
Congrats on a Super Coin.

Restoring Your Finds
08-21-2014, 07:19 AM
Beartoe, being that you're in NY state, there should be plenty more out there for you.

Absolutely right, Don... You just have to leave us a few ! :lolsign: