PDA

View Full Version : Cellar Holes at Walden Pond

OxShoeDrew
08-16-2014, 03:30 PM
Hi AD,
We just got back from a day trip to Concord, MA and had a blast visiting the "Shot Heard 'Round the World" site, Sleepy Hollow Cemetery, and Henry David Thoreau's cabin site on Walden Pond. Thoreau is my all-time fav author :yes: ...BUT...as we walked through his now wooded bean field I immediately noticed a cellar hole right in the middle of it.:shocked04: I read the book three times, but before I was into metal detecting, and the fact he actually mentions these cellar holes didn't register with me. He even names the families that lived there. My thoughts quickly turned to MDing fantasies. :lol: Can you imagine finding one of Thoreau's coins?! ...Or even a nail from his cabin...that would be my best find ever! Funny, now I think about it, I bet many of you would rather detect the old north bridge battle site...but that didn't cross my mind :dontknow:
Hope you all had a productive day, Drew

del
08-16-2014, 04:01 PM
The town of Concord is like a trip back in time almost with its tiny narrow streets and colonial homes and shops , I've been to the bridge and even detected a nature preserve area (with permission of course) very close to there that had some cellars of homes that stood during that event and during our independence .

The Rebel
08-16-2014, 07:37 PM
Nice trip Drew! An old CW Reenacting buddy of mine works for the NPS up there. Took us all over the place as well as going down Battle Road.

coinnut
08-16-2014, 08:51 PM
Hey Drew, why don't you ask whoever is in charge if they are ever interested in having a university do some excavating? Then you can offer up your services to detect it for them.

aloldstuff
08-17-2014, 06:25 AM
Drew, I grew up in Lexington and our house was right on the path between Boston and Lexington (Mass Ave). If only I had a detector then.....:crying02:

OxShoeDrew
08-17-2014, 09:47 AM
Roger, those reenactors were there yesterday at the old north bridge. Did a good job too... Al, I often wish I was into metal detecting years ago, even in my neighborhood. George, I look around their website, see who's in charge. Thanks Guys.

Lodge Scent
08-21-2014, 03:32 PM
Great trip Drew. One of my favorite authors as well. Maine Woods, Week on Concord and Merrimack....