PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from Sugar Hill, 30mi nne of Atlanta

Leprechaun
08-20-2014, 09:12 PM
Hi folks, it's great to have found your site! Though I'm not even a noob, I am hooked and hope to get some equipment soon.

I've been interested for years but put off by the science and variety of technical capabilities. Worse, it seems that "you get what you pay for" applies not only to quality but more-so to features, seeming to require considerable education. As it happens, a few years ago I stumbled on a contact who came to my home and found a couple of property markers for me. He also found a quarter, rusty bottle cap, and pull-tab. (He refused the quarter, what an inspiration!) During the search, he gave me considerable information -- and suggestions, as my questions led me toward considering "getting into it".

His information helped me develop the expectation that a White's XLT would probably be an ideal machine for me to start with. Though not an entry-level machine, it probably would serve well -- probably forever but certainly for a very long time before my abilities and needs outgrew it.

Sadly, I've lost his contact info, and have no idea how I discovered him. In searching for detectorists, I've found this site as well as lostmystuff.net. I've submitted a request for a volunteer to help me, but I'm hoping to be able to find and purchase a detector and pinpointer soon -- I just LOVE discovering old stuff!

A great big THANKS to all you folk who have given so much of your time and experience, and particularly your patience with the noobz!

-Shaun-

Tony Two-Cent
08-21-2014, 08:35 AM
Welcome to the forum, Shaun! It sounds like you have done some thorough research. What type of detecting are you planning on doing? Parks, private yards, beaches, farm fields, woods? Certainly there is a lot of history in you area, and we share your love of finding old stuff!

We are looking forward to your participation on the forum! :thumbsup02:

Skamaniac
08-21-2014, 06:21 PM
Hello and welcome from Washington state. This is great place to learn about detecting, machines, identification of finds, etc. Happy hunting!

coinnut
08-21-2014, 07:44 PM
Shaun, Welcome aboard from western MA. The XLT is a good, solid machine that can keep you busy finding treasure for years to come. In the meantime, start looking for places to hunt and talking with people in your area for permission to do their houses, fields, woods, etc.... That way when you get your machine, you will have places lined up to hunt. Good luck and keep us posted.

aloldstuff
08-22-2014, 05:43 AM
Shaun, another welcome from western MA. You've come to the right site for information about machines and finds. Hope you acquire a detector soon so that we can enjoy your finds.

del
08-23-2014, 01:29 PM
Hello and welcome to the forum Shaun , I agree the xlt is a very capable and smooth running machine . I also hope to see some great finds from you soon.

Dan

Leprechaun
08-24-2014, 01:10 PM
Thanks, all, for the nice welcoming comments!

... It sounds like you have done some thorough research. What type of detecting are you planning on doing? Parks, private yards, beaches, farm fields, woods?...
First objective is to locate missing property markers; then examine my 1/3-acre subdivision lot to see if any artifacts were missed when landscaping was done (and locate all the trash thrown over the hill by neighbors who think the greenway is a dumping ground). Next I hope to enroll some of my neighbors in searching their yards for property markers, and any items they might have lost; then on to the rest of the world.

I have a little woodland in s.w. Louisiana that I'll visit, but that area isn't rich, and my property was always woodland so I don't expect to learn much there.

As I said, I love finding stuff and discovering stuff. So visiting the old battlegrounds and searching former homesteads, as well as woods searching is attractive to me.

... In the meantime, start looking for places to hunt and talking with people in your area for permission to do their houses, fields, woods, etc.... That way when you get your machine, you will have places lined up to hunt...
Thanks, that is a great suggestion and I've changed my strategy accordingly!

In gathering information about equipment, I've learned a lot about the ethics and legality of detecting, so I am grateful to all of you who provide such great and helpful information.

coinnut
08-24-2014, 06:08 PM
You are going to love this hobby :lol: It hooks you bad, even before you know it :yes: