PDA

View Full Version : Dollar coin and a ridiculous hike for a spoon from cellar hole.

MangoAve
08-22-2014, 06:56 AM
Boy it feels good to leave work early. I don't do it enough. Yesterday I met up with Mike for a hunt. Too bad we didn't know anything about the work they were doing there. It really limited the area we had. We still swung for as long as he could before he had to leave. He got a few wheats and a silver ring. It was missing a few stones but it said 925 inside. Silver rings come up as a dime/quarter for me so Idk how I haven't found one yet. I found a wheat there and a Ulysses commemorative dollar coin. I didn't realize they came out with the presidential series cuz all I see in circulation are the Sacajawea. I still managed to pull out a toy car. It's a 1983 Hotwheels. Apparently this is Jim's garage.
I was told about a place to do some checking on, but I went to a different place I researched about. I have to superimpose the map again to see if there are other holes, the actual ones I was in search of. It was a little thick to swing around the hole but somewhere in the road I popped out a spoon end. I am uncertain that it is for a spoon as where it is broken, it looks much thicker than a continuation of the handle. It is heavy for it size and rigid, but not iron. Down near the stream I managed another axe head. It was super clean and had the wood still in it. That makes me think it's newer than the 30's. I found some wheird huge iron cap. Then sitting on top of a big rock was an entire frame for a carriage. Lol. If I could stand the 2-3 mile hike back to bring it, I could sand blast it and paint it and use if for a yard decoration. There is still a small bit of wood I saw to verify it is in fact a carriage. The axle was kinda far back from the center of leaf springs to be anything but. Back up the hill and I found some lid. There was a small hinge still attached. I wonder if newer coffee pot or newer oil lamp. It kinda turned out as a reconnaissance trip cuz I know another is in order. I just wonder if there has been someone there before.

Oh, and I included the relic phone I found in the park a week or two ago. Ancient thing. :lol:

Lodge Scent
08-22-2014, 07:33 AM
Rediculous and often non productive hikes are the norm for most of us cellar hole enthusiasts. You can't let the Dave's and Todd's of the world lead you to think every trip out the door is going to be a killer hunt :envious:. Those guys operate on a different wave length. But even a less than stellar hunt is a great way to get out in the woods and some exercise.

You made some nice finds. Even though you can't carry it home, that wagon is a cool find. And that ancient phone looks as old as the relics George and Dan find on their Pequot hunts. ;)

Trooper Bri
08-22-2014, 08:07 PM
The Matchbox Whisperer scores again! Looks like a Lincoln Mark VII LSC (ID'ing relics is getting easier with time :lol: ).

Your mystery item is cool, maybe 2 1/4" long? Don't know why exactly, but I'm guessing some sort of ornate thumb latch maybe.

OxShoeDrew
08-23-2014, 07:15 AM
wow, 5 miles in total hiking, I hope it was at least on a path. The bush whacking hikes are the killers.
"The Matchbox Whisperer" :lol:
I love to find the wood still attached to iron relics...or the cloth still on buttons. Nice going!

MangoAve
08-23-2014, 10:22 AM
Lodge, I think because the most of the time was spent hiking and looking for the holes that I didn't get much time at the holes. Plus the fact a fair amount was covered by the pricker shrubs (like you get at HD garden center) hindered where the coil could go. It deserves another check. Plus the other hole near there I don't think has been found.

Bri, yes about 2.25 in. I was thinking similar like a catch for a small tray cover. Maybe I'll actually clean it to see if I can tell what metal it's made of.

Drew, actually some of it was on a path. Once I found the first hole that looked hit this summer and was flooded with uron, I just walked thru the woods and up to the stream. I crossed the stream three times, found a wall in the most random place and came upon the biggest pines I ever seen. I took a pic but there is no reference to see they are as thick around as 200 year old oaks. But I had an instance where if you stop to think walk around or go thru, to go around. No I'm not talking about bees, which there was a huge paper wasp nest in a tree, but a muddy area. I just sunk in up to the ankle. Shoe didn't get stuck but at that point I decided to go around. Oops..

OxShoeDrew
08-23-2014, 10:55 AM
I worry about the white faced hornets. I don't think I'd survive a nest attack. :stretcher:

del
08-23-2014, 01:35 PM
ah come on Jim , you didn't want to drag all that iron . you know all that carriage iron would of looked good mounted on your wall :yes: nice hiking bet you burned off a few calories , boy I could afford to do so ;)

MangoAve
08-23-2014, 05:01 PM
Drew, whatever they were they were mean. Say if a yellow jacket is about an inch long, these were about an inch and a quarter or 1.5 inches. They were black but I didn't get close to see if they had a white face.

Dan, I would have liked to. That's not an every day thing. People have those Wagon wheels displayed but no carriage frames. If I got the wheelbarrow that has two wheels it might be doable. There is a path that sometimes is a stone path. Maybe sand blast it and then use rustoleum.

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-23-2014, 10:43 PM
Rediculous and often non productive hikes are the norm for most of us cellar hole enthusiasts. You can't let the Dave's and Todd's of the world lead you to think every trip out the door is going to be a killer hunt :envious:. Those guys operate on a different wave length. But even a less than stellar hunt is a great way to get out in the woods and some exercise.

You made some nice finds. Even though you can't carry it home, that wagon is a cool find. And that ancient phone looks as old as the relics George and Dan find on their Pequot hunts. ;)
LOL a different wave length? we have crappy days too

leslie(nova scotia)
08-24-2014, 10:49 AM
Sometimes its just about the adventure. Thanks for the post!

aloldstuff
08-25-2014, 08:57 AM
What size riker display would that carriage frame take.:lol: All cellar hole hunters are a different breed in my eyes. :thumbsup02:

MangoAve
08-25-2014, 10:31 AM
What size riker display would that carriage frame take.:lol:
Lol, idk. The frame was maybe 8' long. Hard to be exact from only the photo.

All cellar hole hunters are a different breed in my eyes. :thumbsup02:
I must be a half breed than.

And Dave, yes. I almost thought with the recent hunt you and Todd went on was this place as the hole was consumed with the barberry bushes. I was gonna :girlcry: :hairpulling: if you were able to pull that out of the same site (granted the hike ate up most of the time cuz the roundabout way I took). But the research you guys do must be different. You made yourself a name on the forum with cellar holes (as well as Dan and George and the other Todd) and PL8man made a name for himself with the rings he finds. I've already made a name for myself in the toy car department.

Leslie, np. I should have said the bee's was more like the movie My Girl. :lol: