PDA

View Full Version : Why I like living out in the sticks.

Phil
06-13-2010, 09:48 PM
I live in a rural county, the largest town has under 6000 people and the 400 sq. mile county has just over 20000 people. Not all of them know I detect for a hobby but a good number do.
I was heading for my car today after work and a fella working my shift hollered at me to wait on him. He told me that he found a 1913 qtr while mowing a field at his Parents farm. He knew nothing about the qtr so I told him it was a Barber and was silver. Scott(the fellow i'm talking about) told me he didn't want it and since he knew I detected for old coins he would bring it to me tomorrow at work. I'll bet you can't guess what I will ask him tomorrow. :grin: Now I don't know what most people's success rate of asking permission to detect is but mine is 100 percent yes if I know the people. I know Scott's parents and have been meaning to ask them to detect their property but have just never gotten around to doing it. I also have another deal in the works. The site where I recently found the silver Rosie and 14 wheatie is owned by a family my wife knows well. I didn't realize they farmed and owned considerable ground. My wife was talking to them and told them how the early planting this year fouled up my field hunting and they told her they had quite a bit of ground they hadn't planted yet and their neighbors did as well. Probably over 1000 acres total. I'm cleaning up the wheatie and the Rosie to give them and going to go visit them as soon as I get a chance. I'll take my plat map atlas and we'll see how many home sites are on their land. Then I'll ask for permission to hunt any unplanted ground now and the rest of it this fall after harvest. I'll also ask them to put a good word in with their neighbors which is almost a guaranteed yes for permission to hunt. I love it because almost all of my best sites are on private property and I don't have to worry about somebody else hi-jacking my sites. Living in the sticks does have some advantages. :happydance01:

coinnut
06-14-2010, 09:39 PM
I wanna live in the stick :envious: That is great. Not having to worry about finding a site is a good thing lol Can't wait to see if you get the Barber.

Phil
06-14-2010, 11:02 PM
I wanna live in the stick :envious: That is great. Not having to worry about finding a site is a good thing lol Can't wait to see if you get the Barber.

I will just clean it up, put it in a staple-up and give it to him or his folks. I always make sure I give the owner at least one old coin from his property even if I only find one. It has always paid off for me to share my finds. All the property I detect is owned by people I know or a friend or relative of someone I know. I give them a couple IH pennies or silver dimes in staple-ups and ask if they know anywhere else I might be able to hunt. It amazes me how helpful people can be when you show them a little kindness. When I get done hunting a property I want the owners to be my new friends(if they aren't already) and looking for sites I might want to hunt. :grin:

tanacat
06-15-2010, 05:17 PM
Field hunting as in arrowheads AND md'ing right? If old homesites are nearby? :) Sounds great- good luck! I've been once doing the 'double hunting' like that.

I love meeting new people, have made a few friends myself out hunting- metal detecting sure does break the ice in conversations doesn't it lol Although sometimes I just don't want to be bugged (headphones help if your not in mood to chat ha ha)

sjv
06-16-2010, 05:42 AM
:peace: That sounds great! About the plat atlas, how does a person obtain one. I know in my town iv'e had to go to the town hall and get the info. of the landowner from them. It cost a dollar and only gives the name and maybe address( no phone number), also I find that the owner live in another state and leases the land to a farmer.