PDA

View Full Version : 1776 half Reale & a 1805 Draped Bust 1/2 cent*deep in the woods cellar hole

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-23-2014, 09:38 PM
I saw an area that looked good and showed Todd.we agreed to make the 2 mile trek.bush whackin,up steep hills we finally came to the area where the walls were.the cellar hole was so overgrown with bar berries but we managed to find it.tough swinging,mosquito's were vicious.1st 20 mins targets were popping.my 1st target was a 1776 half reale been over a year since I dug a spanish silver so,It was a welcome sight,2nd target was the 1805 draped bust 1/2 cent with a planchet flaw.Todd got a sweet find.a few buttons then things fizzled as fast as they started :shocked01: we had to work for a few more buttons.thought i dug a rifle barrel with the one target.no clue what it is and a pewter cap from something. my last target was a brass buckle could this be a late 1700's sling buckle?
On the way out we saw a penned area where we think a site was as there was a slight depression .todd popped a few buttons.i dug 2 iron spoons and half a wing which I think is part of a military shako hat plate? long day,long hike but we came out with some nice keepers!

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-23-2014, 09:41 PM
i put all the pictures in order the way they were dug.they came out all discombobulated for some reason when i posted :shocked05::crazy:

Bell-Two
08-23-2014, 11:04 PM
Dave I read all your posts and I admire the effort that you and Todd put into this hobby saying that I think this is one of your best posts everything is interesting finds, the coins are blazing hot finds, beautiful buttons and other relics. Thanks so much for your posts that takes along to areas most of us will most likely never get to detect. :perfect10: :happy:

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-23-2014, 11:27 PM
Dave I read all your posts and I admire the effort that you and Todd put into this hobby saying that I think this is one of your best posts everything is interesting finds, the coins are blazing hot finds, beautiful buttons and other relics. Thanks so much for your posts that takes along to areas most of us will most likely never get to detect. :perfect10: :happy:
thank you so much Tony! very kind words from a very kind man.you guys work just as hard in those open fields. the sun can be brutal with no shade,not to mention the winds whippin across those open fields.Don't sell yourself short.

Isaac
08-23-2014, 11:57 PM
I'm glad you and Todd took the long trek with all those Mosquitos constantly biting you. That was absolutely worth it!!! The reale and db half cent are both stunning coins. Love the shako plate as well. Tony is right. You guys really take risks and work for those finds. The good thing is it pays off a lot of the time. Congrats... thanks for sharing. I enjoy reading all your posts and looking at your pictures. :perfect10: :wow:

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-24-2014, 01:00 AM
I'm glad you and Todd took the long trek with all those Mosquitos constantly biting you. That was absolutely worth it!!! The reale and db half cent are both stunning coins. Love the shako plate as well. Tony is right. You guys really take risks and work for those finds. The good thing is it pays off a lot of the time. Congrats... thanks for sharing. I enjoy reading all your posts and looking at your pictures. :perfect10: :wow:
thanks Issac! guess we may be seeing you next saturday huh?

Thiltzy
08-24-2014, 10:28 AM
Was a grueling hunt Dave but well worth it! Congratz on getting your Reale, you were well over due. Let me know what you find out about that buckle, I would love to know if it's a sling or sash buckle or what ever type it is

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-24-2014, 12:46 PM
the closest shako design I can see is this one

zrickkid
08-24-2014, 05:19 PM
How cool is the fact that Reale is dated 1776! Nice finds as always.

coinnut
08-24-2014, 05:58 PM
Beautiful finds Dave :groovy: Great looking half reale and a sweet looking Half Cent (large 5 variety- Breen 1547) Nice looking buttons too. That place has good finds written all over it :thumbsup01:

Trooper Bri
08-24-2014, 06:04 PM
Nice pile of finds, hope you get a positive ID on the wing. Looks like some tough swinging from the pics, at least it wasn't 90 degrees and soupy.

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-24-2014, 07:16 PM
thanks you guys!did a lil cleaning on it.looks like somebody did attempt to punch a hole in her.not a planchet flaw

coinnut
08-24-2014, 07:24 PM
Coin is in great shape for being in the ground that long. Let's hope the rest of the finds are like that. :clapping:

The Rebel
08-24-2014, 07:46 PM
Nice assortment of finds Dave. Still looking for my 1st 1/2 Cent. Definitely looking forward to the cooler temps.

CTTodd
08-24-2014, 07:51 PM
Super stuff Dave. Good for you

Lodge Scent
08-24-2014, 08:03 PM
Some REALLY nice digs Dave !

giant056
08-24-2014, 08:15 PM
Awesome bunch of digs you got there :thumbsup02:

Isaac
08-24-2014, 11:20 PM
thanks Issac! guess we may be seeing you next saturday huh?

Guess so! Btw... Nice job on that DB half cent cleaning... very professional looking. Doesn't even look like it's been in the ground. Beautiful coin!

aloldstuff
08-25-2014, 06:26 AM
Dave, some great finds. Congrats on getting that Spanish silver to end your drought. The 1/2 cent cleaned up real good and the eagle wing .....:daydream:. I know it was a long trek to the site but are you going back?

kpmoose
08-25-2014, 02:57 PM
Awesome Dave. Beautiful 1/2 reale & Draped Bust. :perfect10:

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-25-2014, 03:50 PM
Dave, some great finds. Congrats on getting that Spanish silver to end your drought. The 1/2 cent cleaned up real good and the eagle wing .....:daydream:. I know it was a long trek to the site but are you going back?
thanks! we may make the trek back once the ferns are gone.may squeeze out a few more keepers

Tony Two-Cent
08-25-2014, 03:56 PM
The 1776 Half Real and the 1805 Half Cent are two magnificent coins, Dave! :loveit:

But I must say that the Half Cent steals the show in my book. Boy, it sure cleaned up nicely! It's beautiful, so much detail left on it yet!

Congrats on another terrific hunt! :perfect10:

Digger Don
08-25-2014, 05:44 PM
I agree, that half cent is a beautiful coin. You always find really interesting relics. I enjoy seeing them.
Congrats on making that hike and making it worth it.

del
08-25-2014, 07:13 PM
Wow Dave about time you made a good showing :poke: congrats on that sweet dated half reale and the half cent is a beauty , I'd like to know what possess a person to decide to put a nail into a perfectly beautiful coin like that :rolleyes:

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-25-2014, 07:59 PM
Wow Dave about time you made a good showing :poke: congrats on that sweet dated half reale and the half cent is a beauty , I'd like to know what possess a person to decide to put a nail into a perfectly beautiful coin like that :rolleyes:
thanks Dan! we have all attempted to do foolish things at one point in our lives,guess it's no different in 1805.any info on my eagle wing? can you date it? or what it may have come from?
oh and the sling type buckle.really curious about this

del
08-25-2014, 08:56 PM
Dave the buckle looks very similar to Revolutionary War shoulder strap buckles worn by both sides . I have one almost exactly like yours and it was found at a site which produced other finds from that time period.