PDA

View Full Version : Barber and seated spill!!!!!!!!!

Mr. Digger
08-26-2014, 08:05 PM
There is a path just off a road that I have been driving past for a long time and always wondered if it is old. It's on town land so today I finally decided to check it out. I got a great signal right off the bat...my first Barber quarter! I was so psyched and could have stopped there and been happy...but rescanned the hole. It has friends! Just then my cell rings. "Dad, it's me...I need you to come get me RIGHT NOW". Really? Ugh...okay, be right there. I quickly pinpoint the second target...seated dime! I'm over the moon. Uh oh I gotta go, but before I do....rescan the hole again....wait...another friend? What to do? I felt so rushed so it took all the willpower I could muster but I covered up the hole up and scrambled outta there for some quick daddy duty. But as soon as I was able, back I went to the site of the spill...which promptly produced 3 more seated dimes, a barber dime, and a crusty something that I have yet to ID. As for that crusty coin, at first I thought it was an IH but it's actually the size of a nickle and looks like a crusty copper...hopefully I will be able to figure it out. Could be a nickle but sure doesn't look like one at this point. This pocket spill is my greatest find to date. 1892 Barber quarter (my first), 4 seated dimes (3 are 1886 and one is 1888), one Barber dime (1894) and the mystery nickle/copper thing whatever it is. Can you guess where I am going back again tomorrow? (update...that last coin was a V nickle...also a first for me!)

coinnut
08-26-2014, 08:16 PM
Holy smokes :shocked04: That is one way to up your Seated count :lol: That was on expensive spill back in the day. Congrats and I hope that nickel is a Shield, but at the very least it will be an early V. Great find!!

Tony Two-Cent
08-26-2014, 08:34 PM
That's one of the greatest coin spills I've ever seen! :shocked04: :notworthy:

Wow, four seated dimes in one spill! Plus a Barber Quarter! And a scarce, rarely dug 1894 Barber Dime!

You should be able to tell if the other coin is a shield or a V Nickel by checking its size. If it's the same size as a regular nickel then it's probably a V. If it's slightly smaller then it's a Shield. (Assuming it IS a nickel.)

Congrats on the incredible coin spill! I hope you did a happy dance! :happy:

:perfect10:

zrickkid
08-26-2014, 08:34 PM
Wow thats the find of a lifetime as far as im concerned. Hit that spot as hard as you can.

zrickkid
08-26-2014, 08:35 PM
What were the mint marks on those beauties?

Isaac
08-26-2014, 08:46 PM
Very nice spill!!! :wow:

Trooper Bri
08-26-2014, 09:09 PM
Can you guess where I am going back again tomorrow?

No. Telling us exactly where would help immensely though. :grin:
That's a sick spill you got there. Congrats!

Mr. Digger
08-26-2014, 09:14 PM
Wow thats the find of a lifetime as far as im concerned. Hit that spot as hard as you can.

Thanks everyone! Yeah, I should have clarified....no mint marks on any of the coins. BTW that last coin turned out to be a crusty V nickle...also a first for me!

Nesdore
08-26-2014, 10:07 PM
:perfect10: Holy crap what a spill that is one amazing find and I think you need to change your oldest silver on your signature :thumbsup02:

mike l
08-26-2014, 10:53 PM
Doesn't get better than that!

del
08-26-2014, 11:50 PM
I'd be still pinching myself every so often after that find :yes: mega congrats :notworthy:

freemindstuck
08-27-2014, 01:12 AM
What a dream pocket spill! Congrats! You should run out and buy a lottery ticket.

driftwood1963
08-27-2014, 01:14 AM
Thats just insane! Crazy good stuff! Congratulations!:thumbsup01:

don in ny
08-27-2014, 04:16 AM
That is one nice coin spill. Many people never find a seated coin. You picked up 4 in one hole. I picked up a seated half dollar and seated quarter out of the same hole last year. I ended up with about 8 large cents, a dozen Indians, more seated as well as Barber coins out of that spot. Hope your new spot is just as good. HH

Mr. Digger
08-27-2014, 04:25 AM
:perfect10: Holy crap what a spill that is one amazing find and I think you need to change your oldest silver on your signature :thumbsup02:

Hey thanks for the reminder. I had actually found an 1877-S seated dime a while back and should have updated it then....that's still my oldest.

MangoAve
08-27-2014, 06:36 AM
Wow. Crazy find there. I wonder how you can tell a path off a road is specifically old, so I can keep an eye out around here for something like that. Two things, it is always at the most inconvenient time the phone calls seem to come. There can be no calls all day but as soon as I start lifting something big where I cant reach the phone, bam, phone starts ringing. Also, all these coin spills seem to have coins all in a close date range. Just like the early coin spill. I understand the minting quantities are quite larger today, but back then minting numbers were up over a million usually. The states had a federal mint for 100 years already by the time your spill was found, yet today we still have coins 50 years in circulation. Just an odd observation

Lodge Scent
08-27-2014, 07:00 AM
YOW ! Very cool !

Mr. Digger
08-27-2014, 07:32 AM
Wow. Crazy find there. I wonder how you can tell a path off a road is specifically old, so I can keep an eye out around here for something like that. Two things, it is always at the most inconvenient time the phone calls seem to come. There can be no calls all day but as soon as I start lifting something big where I cant reach the phone, bam, phone starts ringing. Also, all these coin spills seem to have coins all in a close date range. Just like the early coin spill. I understand the minting quantities are quite larger today, but back then minting numbers were up over a million usually. The states had a federal mint for 100 years already by the time your spill was found, yet today we still have coins 50 years in circulation. Just an odd observation

Yeah, interesting to think about and you're exactly right. Based on the dates and condition of coins in an old spill (and with an educated guess on how much wear on the youngest coin) you can pretty much narrow it down as to when it was dropped within a couple of years. FYI I've started using the web site below to look at old aerial photos and topo maps when I'm investigating an area. I took a look at this area and sure enough there was the path clear as day in the oldest photo available for that area (1938) so I decided to hit it. Glad I did. Helpful website, at least here in the North East anyway!

http://www.historicaerials.com/

MangoAve
08-27-2014, 08:36 AM
I been using a college site that has historical maps as well as a few arial maps and superimposing some of them onto Google or Bing maps. It's been a pain and wish there was a program that could do it automatically. It does help if you know where to look to see the roads that no longer exist. But even then, the place I went a few weeks ago with Brian, that Dan took him to, are not on the 1868 map I got so that was even more research on his part. There was an interesting find on the arial image from the site I had, but It's a bird's eye view so It will be tricky to pinpoint on the modern map where this place used to be in 1908. Btw, thanks for the link, however does it zoom to clearer pic when you have an account with the site?

Digger Don
08-27-2014, 09:05 AM
I don't know what to say but. OMG. What a dream come true spill. 4 seated in one hole and Barbers for a bonus. Wow.
I hope you go back and find many more. Super congrats on a spectacular hunt!!!!!!

Ronandari
08-27-2014, 11:22 AM
You're one heck of a Dad to leave a hole like that. congrats.

Ron

Mr. Digger
08-27-2014, 11:26 AM
I been using a college site that has historical maps as well as a few arial maps and superimposing some of them onto Google or Bing maps. It's been a pain and wish there was a program that could do it automatically. It does help if you know where to look to see the roads that no longer exist. But even then, the place I went a few weeks ago with Brian, that Dan took him to, are not on the 1868 map I got so that was even more research on his part. There was an interesting find on the arial image from the site I had, but It's a bird's eye view so It will be tricky to pinpoint on the modern map where this place used to be in 1908. Btw, thanks for the link, however does it zoom to clearer pic when you have an account with the site?

There doesn't appear to be any benefit to creating an account (which is free) as best as I can tell....but I did anyway. You can zoom in closer, "overlay" the current roads, then set the "compare" at dissolve so you can select two maps/photos to compare and fade from one to the other. It could be much better but I just like being ablee to see where new roads fall on old maps....pretty helpful.

MangoAve
08-27-2014, 01:22 PM
I was not aware the account was free. Mostly because at the top is shows a button to purchase the map. I did check that feature after you mentioned it and it does seem pretty helpful. Thanks for the link. The only quirk I see is pretty much what I ran into with overlaying manually. It seems some roads don't always line up for some reason. Maybe their survey techniques back then weren't as precise as they are today accounting for things like curve of the earth and elevational differences. Hope the link I gave you helps.

aloldstuff
08-27-2014, 04:02 PM
WOW, that is the best spill ever. Your ability to cover that hole up and handle your parenting duties.....:thumbsup02:. Hoping that your crusty coin is a shield nickel. I would be walking that path till the very end.

Mr. Digger
08-27-2014, 08:27 PM
WOW, that is the best spill ever. Your ability to cover that hole up and handle your parenting duties.....:thumbsup02:. Hoping that your crusty coin is a shield nickel. I would be walking that path till the very end.

Actually it turned out to be a V nickel and I am very happy about that becuase that is a first for me! I have found a shield but never a V. The Barber quarter and the V were both firsts for me in that spill. Couldn't be happier!

wisconsin digger
08-28-2014, 08:27 PM
That's an impressive group of coins. It's neat that the dates are all close and the coins look to be in great shape. That spill had to hurt in the late 1800's. great finds WD

Mr. Digger
08-29-2014, 05:07 AM
That's an impressive group of coins. It's neat that the dates are all close and the coins look to be in great shape. That spill had to hurt in the late 1800's. great finds WD

I found a calculator on the Net that says that the value of 80 cents in 1895 is now about $23. Yeah, that was big oops for someone.

Jim D
09-29-2014, 12:52 AM
:drool:Incredible!:wow:Thats the best spill I've ever heard of!:groovy:Hope you find more there! HH

two_bit_digger
09-30-2014, 08:12 PM
Man oh man...killer coin spill, especially the seateds. Congrats!!!!
I have found only 3 seated dimes and they all came from the same site, but not the same hole.

Cheap Thrills
10-01-2014, 12:31 AM
WOW , that's no cheap thrill that is treasure haul ! Congratulations !

GKman
10-01-2014, 04:24 AM
A great spill!