PDA

View Full Version : New to Forum, Not new to detecting.

GKman
08-27-2014, 02:46 PM
Hello Folks,
I live in the Dutchess County area of The Hudson River Valley and I first started detecting in 1984. I enjoy digging older coins and relics only. I have very little interest in finding any modern coinage, rings, etc. I feel most at home roaming the woods, fields, and mountains.

During the nineties I worked as part of the the Minelab Excalibur build team near my home. I also worked assembling some of the Grey Ghost products. I currently use the Detectorpro Uniprobe and swing the CTX=3030 which was preceded by the Sovereign, Explorer, and E-Trac and a Fisher 1210-x

I love researching old sites for myself and others. In the past I have used my research skills to help folks across the country locate places to detect near their locations.

If you have watched any of the recent Dirt Fishin America The Movie videos you may have seen me.
I also have my own little Youtube page where I occasionally upload videos http://www.youtube.com/user/gkillmer

One of the other forum members said I should come over to check out the site since it may be more in line with the type of folks I am looking to correspond with. For many years, I did not partake in any online activity regarding detecting, which is odd considering I am an IT guy, but in the last three years or so I have made up for lost time across the forums...

Some of my notable finds are a 1793 Liberty Cap Cent
A 3500 to 5000 year old copper adze
An 1840's Militia belt plate with a rarity rating of at least six,
An approximately 1850's pistol
My most recent hunt I walked away with eight coppers, including King Georges and Draped Busts.

HH...

Tony Two-Cent
08-27-2014, 03:14 PM
Welcome from Illinois! :waving:

Glad you joined the forum, GKman! We have many cellar hole hunters here. :yes:

Like you, I am a Minelab user and I'm mostly interested in old coins and relics, although I wouldn't throw a modern gold ring in the garbage. :grin: Unfortunately, we don't have near as much history here in Illinois as you do up there. You're right in the middle of prime detecting territory!

That 1793 Liberty Cap Large Cent makes me green with jealousy! :envious:

I just subscribed to your YouTube channel and I look forward to watching your videos when I get home from work tonight.

Tony

GKman
08-27-2014, 03:27 PM
Thanks for the add Tony, look forward to getting to know everyone..

aloldstuff
08-27-2014, 03:50 PM
Welcome from western MA. I also will subscribe to your Youtube channel as soon as I finish writing this. Some very very nice finds you posted here. Looking forward to your future posts.

SeabeeRon
08-27-2014, 06:31 PM
Good to see you over here GK!!

coinnut
08-27-2014, 07:21 PM
Welcome aboard GKman from western MA. Glad you decided to stop by. An absolutely beautiful 1793 :loveit: I take it you are located in a lime belt? Coins found in those areas hold up so nicely. The other finds are great too, especially the pistol. I found one (or 2 :confused:) of those barrels but was not sure how to tell if it was real or what pistol it came from. Must have been fun to do some Excalibur and Gray Ghost work. An exciting hobby this is, isn't it?

Trooper Bri
08-27-2014, 08:25 PM
I recognize that name. Welcome Gary.

When I was getting into detecting back in May and jazzing on YouTube vids, ran across yours and subscribed. Looking forward to the movie this winter.

Isaac
08-27-2014, 08:41 PM
Welcome to the forum GKMan... beautiful finds! :wow:

GKman
08-27-2014, 09:19 PM
Hi SeaBee ! Good to see you too!
Hi Coin, good to meet you, it is an exciting hobby for sure, nothing else has held my interest for practically my whole life!
Hi Trooper, thanks for the add! I have to work on putting some more videos up. I keep waiting for Google Glass to come out, since I hate having to set up the camera..
Thanks Isaac

del
08-28-2014, 02:40 AM
Hello Gary welcome to American Detectorist :waving: glad you finally shown up here , been loving some of the great finds you've been making lately . Hope you found a new place to visit.

Dan

GKman
08-28-2014, 05:15 AM
Hello Gary welcome to American Detectorist :waving: glad you finally shown up here , been loving some of the great finds you've been making lately . Hope you found a new place to visit.

Dan
Hi Dan
good to see you too!
Hopefully the temp will cool down and I can get back out.

Epi-hunter
09-04-2014, 04:11 PM
Yes, that 1793 is beautiful! Welcome to the forum!

Restoring Your Finds
09-04-2014, 08:19 PM
Hi GKman, welcome to the forum.

Very impressive finds !

Looking forward to reading your posts.

Will check your YouTube channel as well.