PDA

View Full Version : Getting paid to dig - 8/28

Trooper Bri
08-28-2014, 05:14 PM
I'm off most of this week, so I'd like to thank my employer for paying me to dig stuff in the woods today.

Saw an area on Google Earth not far from me that had what looked like a stone wall, and decided to check it out for a few hours. Got to the area, and yep, there she was. The land inside the wall area seemed flat enough and looked right, so that's where I got started.
Didn't take but a minute or so for my first target, which turned out to be my mystery item of the day. Obviously lead from the patina & weight.

Not a lot of targets in the 3 or 4 acre area I was in. So if it made a noise, it got dug. Not a lot of junk either. Only thing not pictured is the few beer cans I carried out.
But, they were the right targets. Ox shoe, an ox tack ring maybe(?) ,something that's the size of a spoon handle but thicker, few lone nails, lump of mystery iron, something with a hook on the end (candle dipper :lol: ) and two items found close to each other. A small buckle, and length of metal that may or may not be a blade. No sign of a house site though.
Would have liked something round and copper (or silver), but I wouldn't be surprised in the least if this place has been whacked before. Plus I'll be back when the leaves start falling and the frippin' spider infestation dies down.

I'll be out getting paid to dig somewhere tomorrow too. Dunno where yet, maybe a couple parks. On with the pics, and thanks for reading.

Wall in the ferns:

Today's loot:

Top of the 2 piece button buried deep (never found the bottom):

And the mystery lead item. It's been crushed a bit. That lozenge shape part is 3/4" in diameter measured from the bottom. Plug for a bottle maybe?

del
08-28-2014, 06:32 PM
Brian the last item is a rifled deer slug (they can sound pretty good too) whats the back of the button look like ?? it almost looks like a pewter button

Trooper Bri
08-28-2014, 07:14 PM
It did sound nice. Too bad it's lead crunk. The button is hollow on the back Dan.

chief5709
08-29-2014, 05:29 AM
The button maybe a rosette? It's nice to get paid to hunt. Hope you have a great week.

Lodge Scent
08-29-2014, 07:11 AM
"Getting paid to dig" ....that's an interesting concept. I need to do that very soon myself before I forget how to swing a coil. Nice bunch of relics!

Bell-Two
08-29-2014, 07:47 AM
Always nice to get out that's the real treasure.

MangoAve
08-29-2014, 10:56 AM
Obvi the ox shoe, hook, and button it seems like theres some hope at that place. With the logic of being paid to dig, I would be paid to party when it comes to vacation mode.

Digger Don
08-29-2014, 06:56 PM
Some pretty nice Relic Finds there. Nice job

BTV Digger
08-29-2014, 08:31 PM
Nice job and looks like that area has some more potential. Go back in October once the ferns have died back for easier searching. I would tend to agree with chief5709's comment that your button may well end up being an old bridle rosette. Congrats.

John