PDA

View Full Version : Group hunt Dan,Todd & Issac * brass kettle indian point*coppers*reale*eagle buttons

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-29-2014, 09:02 PM
Issac was up from Va and we decided to take him to a couple sites we did well at last visit there.
we found a new site and started there.was hit pretty good by someone before us but I was really stoked when this 1600's brass kettle Narragansett Indian tribe spear point popped out.i got a large colonial coat button from this site as well.
off to the button site next.this site gave up nice early artillery buttons last visit and today was no exception.Dan got a nice copper signal and i walked over to check with my XLT.nothing! couldn't hear it at 5 inches which is crazy.something wrong with my machine.Issac checked it with his AT PRO bam nice n clear.i quickly broke down the XLT and assembled the MXT ALL-PRO I carried in my back pack.
Now I started finding stuff.a few one piece convex eagle artillery buttons which are toasted,next i got a nice coin spill in the road.2 matron head LC's and a 178? spanish 1 reale.a few more buttons.we worked this site for awhile then headed to one last site to end the day.there I got a 1777 KGIII.a great day was had by all.everyone came out with nice keepers.Issac teared it up.killer buttons and a complete shoe buckle.16 years old and he looked like a veteran cellar hole hunter out there.
great day everyone!

del
08-29-2014, 10:41 PM
what a day !!:cheering:if i hadn't been there I never would of believed all your loot was found with an MXT instead of your trusty xlt. Dave I think you and that machine "bonded " :lol: well done and thanks for hosting this hunt to Isaac and I .:notworthy::notworthy: Days like today don't come around that often , the weather couldn't been better and the finds were amazing . huge congrats :clapping:

Isaac
08-29-2014, 10:56 PM
Wow what an amazing day we had. Best time detecting of my life.Couldn't be anymore beautiful and everyone came home with great finds! That Indian point is simply amazing :notworthy: congrats on all the wonderful finds. Let's do it again some time. :thumbsup02: Thanks again for taking me on this great adventure and experience... I'm still getting to cleaning my finds... I'm scared to clean the pewter thing and the military buttons... :lol:

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-29-2014, 11:07 PM
thanks both of you! awesome day with some great friends/ relic hunters.We gotta get you out more often Dan.glad you got another 1st today.and Issac? what can I say...ya done did good kiddo!

Sam
08-29-2014, 11:58 PM
Hey this is Sam, looks like you all had a great hunt out there, wish I could have detected with you all but I couldn't make it today, congrats on all of those outstanding finds! :)

Thiltzy
08-30-2014, 09:54 AM
Great hunt with great friends. Glad you're getting the hang of the MXT, are you a believer yet? You had some great finds yesterday and so did Dan and Isaac
My coil was cold compared to you three but I was very happy that everyone walked out of there with some outstanding finds. Had lots of fun and lots of laughs.
Love the picture of the two of us in the broken down pick up. Can't believe the key was still in the ignition.

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-30-2014, 01:03 PM
some cleaned up photo's.let the buttons & coins sit in cold peroxide overnight.used Q-tip to clean.I like this method.thanks to Todd for his tip on this procedure.1827 & 1831 matron head LC's. Dan looks like it's 1772 on KGIII and the eagle buttons.2 are Scovill's back marks.maybe general service buttons not artillery as your eagle looks different than mine?

del
08-30-2014, 01:12 PM
Dave its a Machin mills Vlack 5-72A , a good one with a URS- 6 RARITY RATING (17-32 "known") they start out at $300 in G-4

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-30-2014, 01:19 PM
Dave its a Machin mills Vlack 5-72A , a good one with a URS- 6 RARITY RATING (17-32 "known") they start out at $300 in G-4
your'e pullin my leg right?

del
08-30-2014, 01:24 PM
your'e pullin my leg right?

ah... nope . heres a picture of one you judge it yourself .

and a good link to info about them
http://www.novanumismatics.com/engraving/americas-machins-mills-contemporary-counterfeit-halfpence/

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-30-2014, 01:24 PM
Great hunt with great friends. Glad you're getting the hang of the MXT, are you a believer yet? You had some great finds yesterday and so did Dan and Isaac
My coil was cold compared to you three but I was very happy that everyone walked out of there with some outstanding finds. Had lots of fun and lots of laughs.
Love the picture of the two of us in the broken down pick up. Can't believe the key was still in the ignition.
lol Thomas Dorr asked me who's truck? he thought we were driving by as somebody snapped the pic.was a fabulous day.guess we gotta go back and really pound those sites now.I mean after all Issac laughed that we BOTH missed that shoe buckle

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-30-2014, 01:28 PM
awesome Dan thanks! rang high so it's real copper as opposed to many fakes which had very little copper?

del
08-30-2014, 01:28 PM
lol Thomas Dorr asked me who's truck? he thought we were driving by as somebody snapped the pic.was a fabulous day.guess we gotta go back and really pound those sites now.I mean after all Issac laughed that we BOTH missed that shoe buckle

:thinkingabout::thinkingabout:I think the truck was the good luck piece , similar to rubbing the budda's belly , kissing the blarney stone touching the horse shoe . because we all touched that truck and we all did well. :lol:

awesome Dan thanks! rang high so it's real copper as opposed to many fakes which had very little copper? yes Machin mills used copper to make them its just they weren't commissioned by the crown or the Continental congress to make them so are in fact counterfeits

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-30-2014, 01:30 PM
:thinkingabout::thinkingabout:I think the truck was the good luck piece , similar to rubbing the budda's belly , kissing the blarney stone touching the horse shoe . because we all touched that truck and we all did well. :lol:
maybe we can haul it out and you can restore it! mount the body on your jeep chasse :lol:
great info on counterfeits thanks!

Isaac
08-30-2014, 01:46 PM
ah... nope . heres a picture of one you judge it yourself .

and a good link to info about them
http://www.novanumismatics.com/engraving/americas-machins-mills-contemporary-counterfeit-halfpence/

:omg: Amazing copper Dave!!! :clapping:

del
08-30-2014, 01:52 PM
great info on counterfeits thanks!

I believe your copper shared the same obverse die as my 1774 Machin mills copper i found in that coinspill , its hard to believe those two coins might have sat right next together in the same place over 200years ago .

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-30-2014, 02:05 PM
I believe your copper shared the same obverse die as my 1774 Machin mills copper i found in that coinspill , its hard to believe those two coins might have sat right next together in the same place over 200years ago .
as i've said 1,000 times..ya wish these items could tell their story

Bell-Two
08-30-2014, 02:37 PM
Ah man what can you say about a day like that and such awesome finds. What an all star crew too!
:wow: :notworthy: :congrats: :loveit:

BTV Digger
08-30-2014, 05:00 PM
Great post Dave and love all the finds. With all the fun back and forth comments on this post you guys need to hit a local modern tavern and reminisce a bit more on your awesome day! Isaac may have to opt for the Shirley Temple route though. ;) Congrats and thanks also on your cleaning tip.

John

Trooper Bri
08-30-2014, 06:52 PM
Congrats Isaac. That's a fantastic day in the woods.

You guys sure know how to treat a visitor! :notworthy:

giant056
08-30-2014, 10:56 PM
Awesome finds for sure :thumbsup02:

The Rebel
08-31-2014, 09:18 AM
WTG Dave! Another killer hunt!

HEAVYMETALNUT
09-04-2014, 11:00 AM
thanks everyone!

Beartoe
09-05-2014, 08:07 AM
Such an excellent bunch of finds. For me the spear point is the top of the list.