PDA

View Full Version : Lots of Silver at the Old School

Tony Two-Cent
09-01-2014, 08:44 AM
Hunted at an old high school building on both Saturday and Sunday with Daddy Digger. Ill Digger joined us on Sunday and we all got some silver. The current school building was constructed in 1919 but a local historian told us there was an older school that burned down on the site before that.

Right off the bat on Saturday morning I found a 1918-S Walking Liberty Half, so that was a good sign! By the end of the day on Saturday I had four silver coins: the Walker, 2 Mercs and a Rosie. This school is loaded with wheat cents too.

On Sunday I got 6 silver coins at the school: 1 Barber Dime, 4 Mercs and a Rosie. I ended up with 39 wheat cents for the weekend.

The keepers before cleaning:

... and after cleaning:

The 1918-S is now my oldest Walker:

The 1914 Barber Dime was in decent shape:

At first I thought I had gone another weekend without finding an Indian Head Cent, but when I got home and examined this coin that has been ran over by a train I discovered that not only is it an Indian, but the date is clearly visible. I'm counting it!

Some of the non-coin items I found:

I have no idea how old these buckles are:

Hub center from a Model T Ford:

Collar Brass from 1918-1924 - F Company Civil Engineers:

Thanks for looking and happy hunting! :beerbuddy:

Full Metal Digger
09-01-2014, 08:58 AM
OUTSTANDING Tony!! That was a great site even though it was heavily hunted ;) I thought that smashed penny might be an indian head cent. It just had the feel and color of one. I see you also found a piece of a scatter tag. I ended up with two: a red one and a blue one. That walker cleaned up nice and your barber dime is also in really good shape. Thanks again for hosting me and I look forward to our next trip! Best wishes and HH, Dave.

Digger Don
09-01-2014, 11:29 AM
You did awesome this weekend Tony, what a great bunch of finds.:envious: I can't believe there are still sites like that out there. All your coins appear to be in very nice shape too. Well, except for the Indian.:lol: But it's still a keeper. I especially like that Collar Brass. Pieces like that are a once in a lifetime find.
Congrats on a great weekend.

del
09-01-2014, 12:23 PM
:shocked03: what a nice bunch of silver , sweet to see large silvers pop up too. :smitten:you and Dave both got a great looking barbers:shocked02: great to see you guys all out together too.

Robbie
09-01-2014, 03:18 PM
10 silver in 2 days is a great score WTG.

PL8MAN
09-01-2014, 05:21 PM
Super finds as always ! Love the Walker !

Ill Digger
09-01-2014, 07:33 PM
:crying02: "I'm the only one who hasn't found a indian head this weekend.... I'm just saying." :girlcry:................. And here you have one in your pocket the whole time and don't even know it!! Thats funny!:hystericallaugh: And it's a 1800's even!! :clapping:
You guys had a nice weekend of finds!! I really like that collar disk! Thats a cool find! You had lottsa nice finds but you gotta love alll that silver!
Congrats!!:grin:
Thanks for letting my intrude on you guys weekend.:notworthy: It was a pleasure as always hunting with you! And also like always , I can't wait till we can do it again!:peace:

Bell-Two
09-01-2014, 07:53 PM
Man that's a boatload of silver Tony! :wow: Nothing like a good hunt with friends :congrats:

MangoAve
09-01-2014, 08:01 PM
A couple of those mercs are mice and shiny. A lot of silver.. and the cub scout item. I got the key to the model T. So every one pitch in and find a piece. Lol

The Rebel
09-01-2014, 08:23 PM
Awesome hunt Tony!

BTV Digger
09-01-2014, 08:24 PM
Great success Tony! Man that school yard may be worth another trip back. Love how those silvers cleaned up and the civil engineers collar brass is probably my favorite of your finds outside the Walker. Congrats. By the way, there's a cellar hole fairly close to me that has half a whole Model-T car frame in it! MangoAve...you bring your key, Tony you bring the hub center, and I'll rent a flatbed truck to haul the larger load!

John

Isaac
09-01-2014, 08:31 PM
That is an amazing haul Tony!!! :perfect10: The walking liberty half dollar is a sweet find! Out of 61 silver coins I've found this year, I've only pulled ONE half dollar. :lol: I like the flattened Indian Head penny also. I've found one flattened before but I was unable to make out a date.

z118
09-02-2014, 06:44 AM
Great Digs Tony! I recently got a flattened Indian head like that but no date on mine. Congrats!

Tony Two-Cent
09-02-2014, 07:29 AM
A couple of those mercs are mice and shiny.

Sometimes if a silver coin has stubborn tarnish or stains and it's just a common date, I will clean it with baking soda. It makes them extra shiny. That's what I did on three of the Mercs and one Rosie.

mownomo
09-02-2014, 10:27 PM
Awesome hunt Tony! The Bobcat pin brings back the days when my boys were in Scouts. Things like the Pinewood Derby still seem like yesterday. (My youngest is 52) Good to know about the baking soda on silver, that is if I ever find any.:crossfingers:

aloldstuff
09-03-2014, 04:47 AM
I was gong to ask you how you clean your silver but you already answered that. Great weekend of hunting. 10 silvers and 39 wheats ..:thumbsup02:

wisconsin digger
09-03-2014, 06:31 AM
Great hunt. had a chance to watch Daddy Diggers video and it looks like you all did well. WD