PDA

View Full Version : V3i for 700?

Trooper Bri
09-02-2014, 06:24 PM
So I get a call from a friend this weekend. One of our fishing buddies Dave is selling his uncle's V3i for $700.

The last time Dan invited me out for a dig, he gave me the backstory of the V3i. Not exactly the smoothest road.
Dave doesn't know jack about it, but thinks it's a few years old. What do I need to look out for on these? Is there a firmware/software version to stay away from? I don't want to buy it and then pay $$ to update it.
And of course, how does it fare in New England woods?

Comes with 3 packs, some kind of Whites pinpointer, and a 2'nd coil. I'm pondering this, but not quite hot-to-trot like I was with the overpriced DFX. But the overtime is flowing like wine at work, so who knows. Any feedback, experiences is greatly appreciated.

And if I don't jump on this (probably won't muddle over it much more than a week) I told Dave I'd try and help him get rid of it. Anyone interested in it as well, post here or shoot a PM and I can put you in touch with him for a local sale (lives in Durham, CT).

Thanks!

The Rebel
09-02-2014, 08:11 PM
Well as it's the i version, which is the latest version. The old version was just the V3. For $700 that's a steal as it normally runs double that $. It takes a bit getting used to but I love mine & it does me well here in CT. The DFX is good as well as it runs in 2 Freq all the time.

Trooper Bri
09-02-2014, 09:08 PM
Thanks Rebel.

Don't mind a bit of a learning curve. Rather get it in while I'm already learning, especially if it's a decent price and there's no red flags I need to watch for. Not afraid of a little technology. Just like my Lesche, want to buy something I can forget about and settle in with. The Garrett is a great detector for $300, but I need something more engaging.

rsarge1
09-02-2014, 10:54 PM
if you like to make all kinds of adjustments the v3i will give you that lol, the one thing to check is the coils, make sure they will not overload with the sensitivity at 15 and the boost off, as well as making sure the extra coil is v-rated for the machine, this was one of the problems I had with mine was the coils I went through 2 0r 3 coils but whites did take care of me when I had a problem which I'm sure they would do for you also. make sure you get the setup password from the original owner if you don't have that you will need to call whites to be able to register the machine for the new owner, it is a great price for a working v3i, especially if those are the wireless headphones that are shown, if I remember right they are 3 to 400.00 alone, good luck on your decision, hope this helps.

sarge

CyberSage
09-03-2014, 08:18 AM
Watch the coils. Like Sarge said. That's a heck of a good deal. I would use the D2 coil, and sell the SEF coil. That will make it an even better deal!

giant056
09-03-2014, 04:46 PM
Super deal, you could easily make money off that detector if that's what you chose to do with it.

Trooper Bri
09-03-2014, 06:43 PM
Sarge, thank you for the info. Very much appreciated! I'll have to consult the great oracle YouTube in a bit and seekout overload examples so I know what I'm looking for. And yes, it's a wireless setup.

The uncle is active in the hobby, and upgraded to an underwater detector, so I'd hope he knows his coils. I'll check it out with the D2 since as Sage points out, is the one I'd default to anyways.
And no giant, she's home to stay if I pull the trigger on this. Maybe sell the SEF coil and probably hang onto the pinpointer so I'll have a backup.

Got a couple e-mails for craigslist stuff this week too. I smell a new toy! Thanks again for for the input guys!

rsarge1
09-05-2014, 10:13 AM
that is a great price, overload is easy to tell, if you go over a large metal object it will say overload on the screen and produce a low sound,

hope this helps

Beartoe
09-05-2014, 04:40 PM
I have had my V3i for a little over a year now. I love it.

It takes some getting used to with all of the programmable options, but once you get it figured out it is turn on and go. I hardly ever make any changes any more except the same ones over and over. Gain , frequency adjust for EMI if needed, back and forth between Stereo Mixed Mode and Discriminate Mode. The Stereo Mixed Mode is super for relic hunting. I have not used it at any beach but hear it does just as well in both wet and dry sand. There is also a salt compensate mode.

Never used the SEF coil. My go to is the stock 10DD and a 4X6 shooter coil. I also use the 12 inch Super coil under open range conditions. The V3i is software adjustable for each coil. Let the V know which coil you are using and all functions are automaticly compensated for the appropriate coil.

If you not want it I would be more than happy to take it off your hands. At half the price it is a steal. I would love to purchase a second unit for my son, as he always wants to use mine.

Trooper Bri
09-05-2014, 07:28 PM
I found a couple vids Sarge, and yup, even a noob like me would have figured that out. :lol:
Downloaded the manual for it last night, but working 12 hour shifts this week got my butt dragging. Didn't get far into it.

From the PM's I've gotten, apparently flipping this for a profit would be easy. But, that won't happen. If it's not the machine for me, she gets posted here for what I paid. Ya'll are way too nice to me, paying it forward where I can.

Headed out in the AM to bag it!

Trooper Bri
09-06-2014, 05:07 PM
Thanks everyone for the input and advice. After poking through the goods, she came home with me. Worked fine, and even found a copper penny 5" down. Doesn't look like the case screws have ever been touched.

The previous owner definitely used it. She has a few scrapes and scratches. Spent some time this afternoon breaking it down, clean & inspect, and re-assembled. Replaced one of the missing rubber washers on the coil pivot with something out of my rollaway. With 3 packs included, expected 2 to be rechargeable with the 3'rd alkaline box. Nope, all 3 NiMh. One is a factory rechargeable, the other 2 are mods to alkaline boxes. I'm charging the two of them now, and will gut the pack with the lowest voltage and use it for alkalines.

The crop circle is an 18x15 by Detech. Compatible with the Spectra series and other detectors. That puppy wasn't cheap, and obviously the one he used most from the wear. The D2 has less wear than my DD on my Garrett. The pinpointer was cheap. A Bounty Hunter. And it looks like the guy was smart enough to write down the PW in a book. Gonna go outside when it cools off in a bit and replace the owner info.

Anyone know if that metal stand that screws onto the other series detectors will fit this? The guy had some cover on it (not for a V3i), but the box isn't very protected on the bottom. I've got to place an order with them for the display window, and order a trigger switch as cheap insurance. I'll add the bracket in if it does.

GunDog
09-08-2014, 06:44 PM
Wow, you made out like a bandit! :grin: I wondered if the pinpointer was a TRX - I probably would have bought the whole deal if it was!
As for the battery packs, Tenergy are some of the best rechargeables around, and those are 2600 mAh to boot! Don't take those packs apart - use them! If you want a pen light pack (for what?) they are $15 from Whites. Find something interesting, write a story about it and send it to Whites. If they like it you'll get $100 gift certificate. Then you can get $100 in Whites accessories.
Oh, how do you charge the batteries? Is it with the Whites charger or is there a separate one? You'll never need to use alkaline batteries again. We should talk. It takes too long to type this stuff!
-Chuck

coinnut
09-08-2014, 06:47 PM
I use rechargeables in all my machines and also the 9 Volt in my pinpointer too. Best thing I ever did. :lol:

MangoAve
09-08-2014, 07:20 PM
I use rechargeables in all my machines and also the 9 Volt in my pinpointer too. Best thing I ever did. :lol:

So far the upgrades I've done which I haven't posted yet all had rechargeable batteries. But I still been using regular in the machine. Higher amp*hr batteries are better for high drain applications. I saw some rechargeable 9v that I was thinking to get and it may happen. Prob for next spring for next season and just use up the regulars I got left. I think I went thru 29 for the pointer but I've changed batteries for machine like 10 times this season and I haven't been out what I'd like, and not nearly as much as like Dave/Todd or Don.

Trooper Bri
09-08-2014, 09:09 PM
I'm definitely using rechargeables in the Whites. But will replace those oddball brand cells with Sanyo or Panasonic. Highest mAh I can get to hold the voltage longest. The alkaline pack mod is slick, and you don't need to solder a battery pack together. Slap them in. Just looks like a diode between the added charge tab and pack ground.

But, an alkaline battery is 1.5 volts. Multiply that by 8, and you get 12 volts. What your Whites really craves.
Rechargables are 1.2 volts. Multiply that by 8 and you get 9.6 volts. That's kind of a nominal number though, as off the charger good packs will show over 11, and settle into the 10's.

The 12v pack I'll dump in for fun. I have a stockpile of AA's (don't ask). :lol:

MangoAve
09-08-2014, 09:59 PM
Is that a split supply? As in +6v and -6 (for alkaline or 4.8 for rechargeables). Based upon what u said it gets charged from say a 12v motorcycle charger and used as split supply. The diode is probably just protection in case someone inserts batteries wrong. I guess the machine wasn't equipped to handle such. Even if u designed with a polarized plug u still would want protection diodes. Guess the unit isn't temperamental if it's voltage can vary like that. Mine tells me when the batteries need replacing as in a lower voltage battery may have a good enough charge but the meter may say it's going dead in my machine.

Trooper Bri
09-11-2014, 07:03 PM
I'm an airhead Jim. Not a diode, a thermistor. They kinda look alike. The foil tape was looking me in the face too, duuuur. It's overheat protection for the pack while charging, and why it's in the rear where it gets hot last.

MangoAve
09-11-2014, 08:37 PM
Lol. I was thinking it looked like thermal protection (well the RTD part at least) and it was in the original reply but I took it out thinking u knew it was a protection diode. I didn't think thermal protection was required cuz I figured the charger had the capability to stop when fully charged. Oh well.

Trooper Bri
09-11-2014, 08:55 PM
I'd hope the charger is looking out for voltage drop, etc, and shutting down. Guessing it's there as a safety measure? I don't disassemble many battery packs these days.

GunDog
09-12-2014, 08:27 PM
Trooper Bri, I just noticed you're from Ellington. I've spent many hours hunting pheasants and geese over on Green Rd. at the McKnight and Gale's properties.

As for the 1.5v vs. 1.2v batteries in the V3i - I don't think it matters. The V3i has an onboard volt meter and regulator. It operates fine on any batteries until the total voltage gets below 9v. On my machine, the only time it makes a difference is about 1 minute before the batteries run out and the machine shuts down. For that 1 minute or so the detector can act really flaky due to low voltage.

Trooper Bri
09-12-2014, 09:40 PM
Hey there. I think Tall1 (Jon) hunts here in town too. For turkey IIRC. Deer are getting frisky too. 4 spotted on the ride into work this week grazing.

Whites says it's fine above 8 volts. But it's a head scratcher to me when they design a detector to run on 12 volts, then only give it that potential with 8 alkalines. They should have made that case/pack design for 10 cells and figured out a blocked alkaline pack. Nobody in their right mind would use alkalines in it regularly. It draws too much current.

giant056
09-13-2014, 06:50 AM
Here's a 9 cell that I put together back in May 2010, it's about the only one that I use, I've had to replace 2 cells in it so far, one last year and one this year.

Trooper Bri
09-13-2014, 08:40 PM
That is slick giant. Nice job squeezing #9 in there. Maybe I'll try that when the snow is flying.

giant056
09-14-2014, 12:02 AM
That is slick giant. Nice job squeezing #9 in there. Maybe I'll try that when the snow is flying.

I've been thinking about putting together a newer one with better batteries, I'll research to find out which one is the best and use them. I have the original battery pack that I got when I first started using the nimh battery pack in my MXT and it's no good anymore and won't even charge up.

Trooper Bri
09-18-2014, 09:24 PM
The original packs are 1800mAh I believe. These Tenergy cells are 2600mAh. It holds the voltage longer, but to squeeze that kind of capacity into a cell, you have to be on your game or cells punk out faster. The one I have that was under 11 volts off the charger probably has a bad cell. I ran it for 5 or 6 hours Sunday, and was down to lower 9's. Or it's just tired.
Only quick way I can think to have 10 cells is to drill a hole in the battery cover, add an 1/8" headphone jack to the battery pack on the end where that hole is, then wire it in series and solder 2 rechargables with an 1/8" plug to the pack with a length of wire so you can velcro it to the top of the box. More stuff to think about during the winter.

Got my goodies from White's today. The detector stand for the DFX and other models fits the Spectra. Why the heck doesn't it come with it? :dontknow: And who makes a good cover for this case? The one on mine is weird.

Trooper Bri
10-11-2014, 07:21 PM
I poked around a bit this morning while getting my oil changed Giant. It looks like the Sanyo Eneloop XX or Pro (black labels) are the best out there. Rated for 2500mAh. Same with the Panasonic Pro cells, but the Panasonics don't have as many charge cycles.
Wound up ordering 8 of the Panasonic for $40 today as the Sanyo cells seem to be pretty much unavailable. There is a pro reviewer on Amazon who claims the AmazonBasics black label cells are actually repackaged Sanyo black labels. You can get 8 of them for $20. Maybe I'll try them next time I order something, as I want to replace the other Tenergy pack.

giant056
11-13-2014, 03:37 PM
I recently replaced the old Tenergy rechargeables and my original nimh pack that I got when I was still using the MXT with EBL's. They are 2800ma, they're really working fantastic since I've recharged each one of them a few times, they're way better than the Tenergy's ever were (they were the 2600ma like in your picture).

Trooper Bri
11-13-2014, 08:46 PM
I didn't find any good reviews on the Tenergy cells Giant. Sure, they're cheap, but that's about it. Lack of consistency between cells makes for bad battery packs with shorter lives. Kind of like rowers in a boat. Ideally you'd like to be able to buy 8 cells matched for charge times, discharge rates, internal resistance, etc.
The Panasonics have a few charges on them now, and same deal, better than the Tenergy ones they replaced for sure. I'll have 8 of the AmazonBasic ones tomorrow to replace the T's in the other pack.

A friend of mine has a small stockpile of Energizer advanced lithium AA's, and I bagged 8 off of him a few weeks ago. It was nice to run the detector at full voltage for a few trips, and they held up very well. They're less weight compared to an alkaline or rechargable too. The pack was noticeably lighter. Pulled the cells with plenty of life in them, and using them for the Garrett now.

Edit:
Got the AmazonBasics today and they're on the charger right now. Like the Panasonics I bought, they're made in Japan. So they may be rebranded Sanyos. Very good for $20. Those Tenergy cells are from China.