PDA

View Full Version : Sunday's new Cellar Holes*Spanish Silver, Shoe Buckles, Watch Winder, Buttons*

Thiltzy
09-03-2014, 06:42 PM
I located an area Saturday and had Dave look at it with me and we both agreed there should be a site in the area. Our instincts paid off and it turned out to be two sites on each side of a ponding river. Sites looked very old and buttons starting popping immediately. The first site was iron infested still managed some nice keepers including a beefy shoe buckle frame on the inside lip of the cellar hole. Dave found the smaller piece of it and was kind enough to give to me to help complete the full frame. Aslso pulled a round shape buckle that I am not familiar with so I hope someone can shed some light on it? A sharp looking watch winder with yellow glass was a nice surprise. Couple thimbles, buttons and a skeleton key were some of the saves before we decided to move across the river.

At the 2nd site, I pulled 5 buttons with in 20 mins. There was no shortage of targets for me at this site and ended up with 19 buttons, shoe buckle frame that looks to be an oldie, and two coins. The weird thing about me finding the coins is that while I was swinging in one of the fields, I apparently dug into another yellow jacket's nest:blackeye:. I ran as fast as I could with me gear in hands until I made it back to the back side of the cellar hole. Got stung 3 times but started swinging again when I got a nice signal, started digging and bam! yellow jackets caught up to me. I ran to my bag and grabbed my can of bee bopper and killed the attackers. Went back to the hole and pulled a 1908 Injun, took a few more steps and dug the Half Reale 1785. Never would of got these coins if bee's didn't attack me :hystericallaugh: I think these sites were cherry picked because there were no coppers to be had, only the reales and one injun:dontknow:

Isaac
09-03-2014, 06:50 PM
Those are some beautiful saves Todd. Great find on the 1/2 reale, all those buttons, and what's with all those shoe buckle frames! Do you think three bee stings is a compromise for that 1/2 reale and indian? :lol: Some of those are very interesting pieces including that pink glass and the watch winder with the stone... the one I found had a stone in it also... i'm guessing these were used to open and manually set the time for the pocket watches?

HEAVYMETALNUT
09-03-2014, 06:51 PM
awesome! bee's got it out for us! I got stung in the lip today by a yellow jacket .damn it hurts! another awesome hunt.your basket weaved one piece is cast brass like mine from same site mine has same wreathed backmark but toasted.Dan can you elaborate on cast brass buttons? as I don't think i've dug one before.only dug cast pewter buttons

Thiltzy
09-03-2014, 07:02 PM
Those are some beautiful saves Todd. Great find on the 1/2 reale, all those buttons, and what's with all those shoe buckle frames! Do you think three bee stings is a compromise for that 1/2 reale and indian? :lol: Some of those are very interesting pieces including that pink glass and the watch winder with the stone... the one I found had a stone in it also... i'm guessing these were used to open and manually set the time for the pocket watches? Thanks Isaac, the glass is clear not pink, the red background just makes it look pink.

Full Metal Digger
09-03-2014, 07:29 PM
AWESOME Finds! Boy that Charles the III sure had a big nose though!

BTV Digger
09-03-2014, 08:27 PM
Great finds Todd. Love the basket weave button. What's the scythe-type thingy in those humorous end shots? Is that something you jimmied up or did you actually find the thing lying on the ground? Congrats once again.

John

Bell-Two
09-03-2014, 08:40 PM
What an eclectic group of finds! I think I dug a basket weave button like that one a couple of years ago I will see if I can find it in one of my storage boxes.

Tony Two-Cent
09-03-2014, 09:13 PM
Impressive variety of finds, Todd! :clapping: Lots of buttons! I really like the Half Real and the watch winder.

I was curious about the scythe as well. Did you find it there or bring it with you to cut down the underbrush?

Good job saving all those colonial goodies! :thumbsup02:

The Rebel
09-04-2014, 08:17 AM
WTG Todd on the keepers! Sorry about you getting stung.
I'm definitely NOT hunting with you guys in the summer, you're bad luck :lolsign:

MangoAve
09-04-2014, 08:35 AM
Rebel, isn't a spanish silver worth a sting? :lol:

Congrats on the old silver. Surprised how much crud was on it as it came out of the ground. The weave button has a lot of detail. My fav, tho, is the one thats blue and green. Obvi I know the green is a patina. Are you sure it was cherry picked seeing as the buttons sound like a large copper? And to miss a silver? Do you take the sickle with you all the time? :lol: I have a large hunting knife that would help me with the barberry bushes I sometimes encounter. Too bad you can't make something that you can attach to the MD to cut the small brush as you swing. The round buckle... I'm thinking it might be for a harness. It's not identical and obvi more oval, but the idea the same.
http://img0.etsystatic.com/000/0/5051962/il_570xN.184059036.jpg

Thiltzy
09-04-2014, 03:31 PM
Great finds Todd. Love the basket weave button. What's the scythe-type thingy in those humorous end shots? Is that something you jimmied up or did you actually find the thing lying on the ground? Congrats once again.

John
We found the Scythe in an abandon old camper from the 50's. It was near one of the cellar holes The scythe was in it so I put it back after Dave took the pictures. The blade was way dull to cut anything.

Thiltzy
09-04-2014, 03:32 PM
Impressive variety of finds, Todd! :clapping: Lots of buttons! I really like the Half Real and the watch winder.

I was curious about the scythe as well. Did you find it there or bring it with you to cut down the underbrush?

Good job saving all those colonial goodies! :thumbsup02: Thanks Tony, see the reply to BTV Diggers comment:)

Thiltzy
09-04-2014, 03:33 PM
What an eclectic group of finds! I think I dug a basket weave button like that one a couple of years ago I will see if I can find it in one of my storage boxes. Love to see yours Tony, plz post it.

Thiltzy
09-04-2014, 03:33 PM
AWESOME Finds! Boy that Charles the III sure had a big nose though!
Yeah, his nose is as big as mine...

del
09-04-2014, 03:58 PM
I agree Todd those are some great finds and quite a few "high value " targets definitely worth another trip or two out there.

I'm gonna have to start channeling the insects to direct me to the treasures :lol: you guys crack me up ;) congrats on the goods Todd. :groovy:

Thiltzy
09-04-2014, 05:58 PM
I agree Todd those are some great finds and quite a few "high value " targets definitely worth another trip or two out there.

I'm gonna have to start channeling the insects to direct me to the treasures :lol: you guys crack me up ;) congrats on the goods Todd. :groovy: You can have the insects Dan:lolsign:, Hey...any idea on the round buckle? I am not familiar with that variety

Tennessee digger
09-04-2014, 06:52 PM
Very impressive finds and I love the nice variety. Your pictures are also fantastic. Good job.

Trooper Bri
09-04-2014, 06:58 PM
I went into anaphylactic shock just reading the report. Nice pile of finds Todd.

del
09-04-2014, 07:06 PM
You can have the insects Dan:lolsign:, Hey...any idea on the round buckle? I am not familiar with that variety

hey is the buckle a solid one or look more for show then a load baring type??

Thiltzy
09-04-2014, 07:27 PM
hey is the buckle a solid one or look more for show then a load baring type?? It's solid Dan

Beartoe
09-05-2014, 07:59 AM
Someone may have cherry picked your site but I believe you have gotten the real treasures.

fsa46
09-07-2014, 07:27 AM
Another outstanding hunt Todd, always enjoy your posts.