PDA

View Full Version : New site gives up a few buttons and a near-toasted Hard Times Token

BTV Digger
09-05-2014, 09:26 AM
Went to a new permission site today and sweated out a few pounds along with getting a few battle scars from briars and mosquitoes. This is directly off a public trail, but hidden about 100 yards off the path so was curious if it still had some goodies still lying in wait seeing the trail is seldom accessed other than from hunters. Spent about 3 hours there and not to much to show for the effort. Anyway, did manage to pull a few buttons ("Double Gilt" on the back but they're in poor shape), a crummy Canadian Penny from the 40s/50s and the standard horseshoe/reigns guide. Best find was a near-toasted 1841 Hard Times Token that reads Webster Credit Current and has a ship on the obverse. Perhaps hard to tell from my mediocre pics but using a magnifier you can make just enough out to identify. Reverse is completely wasted away. Found both the buttons and the token in a straight line on the back side of the house (south side). Must have been where the old clothesline was I guess. Thanks for looking.

John

aloldstuff
09-05-2014, 09:29 AM
Sure do wish that the token was in better shape. Great find though. Is it double holed, perhaps made into a whizzer?

BTV Digger
09-05-2014, 12:22 PM
Sure do wish that the token was in better shape. Great find though. Is it double holed, perhaps made into a whizzer?

Good catch! I took a look and actually it does have two holes, the other on the opposite side of the one shown in the pic. So a whizzer it is, probably for some child way back when.

John

Lodge Scent
09-05-2014, 02:19 PM
Congrats on the HTT. Toasty or not, still a very cool find.

Bell-Two
09-05-2014, 03:59 PM
Hard times tokens are always a primo find!

Thiltzy
09-05-2014, 04:10 PM
Nice save on the token...to bad it didn't hold up better but still a great find

del
09-05-2014, 06:36 PM
there was a few high value targets there at that site , bet there is still more goodies hiding around . congrats on the Hard times token , John. :thumbsup02:

Isaac
09-05-2014, 06:47 PM
Great finds BTV!!! :) The hard times token is a great find even if it's in poor shape. At least it's legible.

BTV Digger
09-06-2014, 03:02 AM
there was a few high value targets there at that site , bet there is still more goodies hiding around . congrats on the Hard times token , John. :thumbsup02:

Thanks Dan. Yeah, wish I had a better detector to discriminate all the iron out of the background signals. I'm sure I'd find more at some of these sites if that were the case. I will say that much of the property is completely overgrown with waist high weeds so going back next spring should give me another decent shot of finding a few more goodies. Thanks for the comment.

John

John

BTV Digger
09-06-2014, 03:05 AM
Nice save on the token...to bad it didn't hold up better but still a great find

Thanks for the comment Todd. Yeah, I only lightly cleaned it with a Q-Tip after a brief soak in warm distilled water. Just too far gone to get overly cute with the cleaning process on this one.

John

BTV Digger
09-06-2014, 03:06 AM
Great finds BTV!!! :) The hard times token is a great find even if it's in poor shape. At least it's legible.

Thanks for the note Isaac. Yeah...definitely a keeper even though it's worn.

John

The Rebel
09-06-2014, 06:14 PM
Nice Save! At least you were able to ID it :thumbsup01:

HEAVYMETALNUT
09-06-2014, 09:47 PM
like Dan said good targets.i'd go back.congrats!