PDA

View Full Version : Some small hunts

coinnut
09-06-2014, 08:58 PM
Things have been hectic for me lately, so small hunts are the only thing I have time for. The Pequot hunts have been minimal and pretty quiet lately. Only a musket ball or two every so often. So I received an invite to do some coin shooting with Bob E. and Mike C. at one of Bob's fields. It has been really good to them in the form of many large cents, Spanish and early capped/seated silver, etc... I was there once previous and found a large cent. This time I brought the GPX. I found a lot of iron since there is a cellar hole on the site. I also found a ton of can slaw, since it seems it's easier to chuck the can in the field and plow it under than take it back to the barn :lol: Did get 3 or 4 buttons for my efforts, one of which was a toasted military button. But I'll take it toasty or not ;) A thanks goes out to Bob for letting me detect his site. :beerbuddy:

If you are ever wondering what some of those blobs of rust are, here is what one of those turned out to be when I broke open the irony crust. :shocked04: Thought it was just another big spike, but it turned out to be a pocket knife.

The next trip out was courtesy of Mike H. Thanks Mike :clapping: He invited me to do some park hunting and then at low tide to do a beach. I wanted to try the CTX 3030 with the 17" The park was bone dry :shocked04: I still dug neatly but the grass was yellow, so I don't think my plugs will stand out. I used the 11" coil there and didn't find too much but cans and a cheap bracelet with a broken cross and some clad. The beach was where I was most excited to try. Looking back, I was completely unprepared for doing it :yes: I did not bring my water proof headphones, since I wasn't going to completely submerge my CTX. Mistake #1. Then I thought that I would just go barefoot since it is a beach. Mistake #2 :lol: When the beach has the word "Rocky" in it's title and you are using a big aluminum scoop that has no back kick plate on it, has a round front (which turns on you in all directions when you try and push it into the sand), and does not have an 45 degree angle to it, you are in big trouble.:rolleyes: Let's just say the seasoned beach guys would have had a blast watching me recover targets in the waves :hystericallaugh:especially since the holes on the scoop are pretty big. I chased a lot of targets. But it was fun, found clad (deep), some costume jewelry and my share of junk. I was well worth it though... I learned a lot. I'm going to try again very soon. So no earth shattering finds, but a very relaxing hunt!4215742158

wisconsin digger
09-06-2014, 10:35 PM
Must be really cool to hunt those old sites, never know what may pop up. Wish we had a few of those in Wisconsin. Nice hunt. WD

aloldstuff
09-07-2014, 08:15 AM
At least you are out hunting. Have you ordered your new beach hunting supplies yet??:lol:. Your buttons are nice, is one of them a Excelsior?

The Rebel
09-08-2014, 08:32 AM
Love that Military Button!

Beartoe
09-08-2014, 12:53 PM
Looks like a fun hunt to me.

I got an old place where I can get some of those cans also. Never could figure out why folks just throw that stuff on the ground and walk away like it is nutten. Maybe that was the period in time when everything started becoming throw-away.

BTV Digger
09-08-2014, 05:13 PM
Great to hear you had some fun/relaxing times George. Nice description on your challenges at the beach. Goes to show all of us that we're never too old to learn something new! Thanks for posting.

John

Lodge Scent
09-08-2014, 07:58 PM
Nice! Is that a pre-CW button George? I love fining old pocket knifes.

It appears you didn't double up on any of your bottle caps or pull tabs....all unique ;)

Isaac
09-08-2014, 08:22 PM
Great finds coinnut. That button is very cool!

Trooper Bri
09-08-2014, 08:36 PM
Some treasure in that trash. Anything with and eagle. Sweet!

Slow digging is better than no digging. ;)