PDA

View Full Version : what a hunt! 6 coppers *3 shoe buckle frames & 2 sweet buttons! Pic heavy

HEAVYMETALNUT
09-08-2014, 06:07 AM
What a day Todd (https://www.facebook.com/todd.hiltz.9) & myself had today! one site turned into 5 cellar holes.loads of 1700's relics & coins*6 coppers*3 shoe buckle frames and 2 of the most beautiful colonial buttons I have dug.the silver gilted cut out button has to be my fave designed colonial button I have found yet.the silver is stunning on it.
2 of the coppers are pretty toasted. KGII & the CT copper.
Dan I am very curious on the last piece? last 2 photo's.neck clasp or clog clasp maybe? :dontknow:

HEAVYMETALNUT
09-08-2014, 06:10 AM
Dan,I have no idea why my pictures get all jumbled up when i upload them in order from start of hunt to end? it's not the last 2 photo's of the item in question after viewing my thread.so here they are again

HEAVYMETALNUT
09-08-2014, 06:13 AM
wanted to show the sequence of button cleaning from start to finish but those pics got jumbled up as well

del
09-08-2014, 06:26 AM
:wow: what a great day you had Dave , the quality of the relics and coppers are super!! that silver plated button is a beauty. :loveit:

the item your wondering about is the two holed little decorative piece??

HEAVYMETALNUT
09-08-2014, 06:28 AM
:wow: what a great day you had Dave , the quality of the relics and coppers are super!! that silver plated button is a beauty. :loveit:

the item your wondering about is the two holed little decorative piece??
thanks and yeah,Dan Frezza (homeguard dan on tnet) says escutcheon plate hardware.

del
09-08-2014, 06:47 AM
it just looks like a fancy saddle strap backing plate , the same ones we find that are usually oval with the two holes . I've got a few rectangular ones and one that got a fancy style such as yours.

MangoAve
09-08-2014, 06:49 AM
the quality of the relics and coppers are super!!

Yeah, that is probably the one NJ copper I have seen posted this summer where you can read the E. Pluribus Unum. The buttons cleaned up real nice. Idk why but one reminds me of a sombrero. A lot of times when I post a few pictures, it's wherever the cursor is located when the pic is uploaded. I have had pics show up some at the bottom of the post and then a few at the beginning. And when I try to put some at the end, it goes to the beginning. I guess just use the preview thread to make sure they are in the order you want. That's worked for me.

Now the piece you are asking dan about. Escutcheon plate for what exactly? Those openings are square. I could see something looking like that on a drawer or chest, but there is no key hole, mounting holes for screws or nails, or place for a knob. It looks like it was retained to say a hat using leather or ribbon.

Jyes
09-08-2014, 07:08 AM
What a great day Dave! I will relook at all your other finds but wanted to give you the ID of the NJ copper before I eat Bfast! :) 1787 Maris 6-D, giving a quick look at my survey, your second one of that variety and if from the same county, at least the third one found by you or your buddies..............Don

aloldstuff
09-08-2014, 07:31 AM
WOW....great day Dave. 6 coppers and all those nice looking buttons, buckle frames etc. That silver button is a beaut. :congrats:

Bell-Two
09-08-2014, 07:52 AM
Oh man it is hard to take in all these great finds at one sitting. The quality and variety of the coppers is superb! :drool:And then the shoe buckles are very nice and make me want to find one all the more! :yes:
And now the buttons, the silver gilt one may be the most interesting and beautiful button I have ever seen. :shocked04: Thank you so much for sharing your lovely finds and the fabulous pictures. These things that were once lost and hidden away are now once again part of our world for all to see. :wow::congrats:

Lodge Scent
09-08-2014, 08:15 AM
:wow: KILLER hunt! Stunning button and some sweet coppers. :perfect10:

The Rebel
09-08-2014, 08:17 AM
OMG Dave,you hit it outta the park!

Tennessee digger
09-08-2014, 09:12 AM
I love your finds and you also took some great pictures. Good job.

Tony Two-Cent
09-08-2014, 11:24 AM
What a magnificent hunt! :notworthy:

Love that silver plated colonial button, and some of those early coppers are in nice shape! :loveit:

Huge congrats on your super day, Dave! That must have been a ton of fun! :clapping:

Isaac
09-08-2014, 01:50 PM
WOW! That is an amazing hunt Dave :notworthy: the coppers are in beautiful shape and that silver colonial button... :smitten: and I almost forgot the shoe buckle frames... an unreal day in my book! :clapping: Excellent saves guys.

Trooper Bri
09-08-2014, 05:41 PM
Some sick finds for sure. That button is fantastic!

HEAVYMETALNUT
09-08-2014, 06:09 PM
thanks everyone for the kind words! surprises like this when cleaning something really make ya smile & say.It was soo worth that mile hike and knowing you saved this small piece of colonial history from under a pile of chimney stones for future generations to enjoy.amazing it wasn't mangled up.Had no idea when it came outta the ground the end result would be this.

Kris
09-10-2014, 08:26 AM
I found the same button. I will post pics soon. Colonial? Any more info? Maker? Place it was made? Nice find.

Pacivilwarluke
09-10-2014, 11:53 AM
Absolutely killer finds! The coppers are in great shape, awesome buckles and pretty buttons too! Congrats!:wow:

BTV Digger
09-11-2014, 09:28 AM
Fantastic Dave. Yeah, the button is your best find IMO. Had to be off a very special piece of clothing. It wouldn't be on any standard dress of the day. Also love the shot of the first growth tree.

John

HEAVYMETALNUT
09-11-2014, 09:42 AM
I found the same button. I will post pics soon. Colonial? Any more info? Maker? Place it was made? Nice find.

thanks! yes it's colonial.called a cut out button I think.no way to find out who made it because buttons were not back marked this early.love to see your photos!

OxShoeDrew
09-11-2014, 07:18 PM
Here's a nice thought, that site looks like it'll continue to give up stuff when those ferns die away! Awesome Dave!

zrickkid
09-13-2014, 07:55 PM
Truly superb. Bravo! :omg:

CTTodd
09-14-2014, 08:27 PM
That's a great day in anybody's book. You the man Dave