PDA

View Full Version : Saturday+Wed hunt, strange and not so strange finds.

MangoAve
09-11-2014, 07:39 AM
Saturday I got out to a place where I knew an old mill once stood. It was located out in a forest. I used the map wrong and I started traveling for a bit to the wrong area. Once I realized I was way past the site, I treked back to the right spot. On the path to the wrong way I found a bone on top of the leave. I have no idea what it is from; I left it alone. Let me speciy, I DID NOT dig it up. It was a random walk by. When I approached the mill site I found another stange item sitting on top of the leaves. I had to take a picture of it. I just saw a strange thing that I mistook for scat but the shape was way wrong which is why I bothered to even look. It's gel like and no it's not a "toy". I have no clue what it is. At the mill site on on the dam edge toward where the houses were, I tried looking. Found a bunch of 223 shells. The big hole in the ground on the opposite side where the mill once stood I only found one nail. It was hit fairly hard and there was some limited area to swing. I seriously wonder how those things were there.

Yesterday I got out with Baam to a place. I wasn't there very long until I dug a different piece. I think it was a brass insert for leather, like where the tab in the buckle would go through. Or maybe just an ornate piece for the leather straps. I was getting a ton of iron on a path, as in 10 different hits in a 5ft radius. They all went away once two pieces of barb were dug up and when I dug this large piece of iron. I have yet to identify the manufacturer. I have to also get a battery charger so I can do electrolysis on it. Its pretty good shape for being cast iron. I had a charger but something happened to the rectifier once someone used it. No coins this time tho.

Beartoe
09-11-2014, 08:52 AM
Could that iron thing be a foot or pedastal for an old cast iron tub?

May be too small as I am not sure of size from the picture. Guess I can't extrapolate too well from the dime.

MangoAve
09-11-2014, 09:48 AM
Could that iron thing be a foot or pedastal for an old cast iron tub?

May be too small as I am not sure of size from the picture. Guess I can't extrapolate too well from the dime.

lol. That's a quarter. So overall the piece is about 8 or 9 inches long. I believe it is a foot for a wood stove. It could be for a tub. If someone needs pics of the actual top I can get some but It looks like this on the top. I was hoping the big C on the front could identify the manufacturer and estimate a date it was made. My vermont castings was made in '82 but I only know that as the date was stamped in the cast doors as xx/xx/82. (idr exact date so I used xx) The pic here is similar and shows the top as almost identical. These were from the 30's but mine are slightly different design.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/157979897/antique-cast-iron-legs-wood-stove-legs

BTV Digger
09-11-2014, 10:05 AM
Yeah, I was thinking the same as Beartoe. Perhaps a leg from an old cast iron stove...Chattanooga Stove Company or Coldwater Stove Company given the "C". Both were prominent in the mid to late 1800s. It's just a guess though.

John

Full Metal Digger
09-11-2014, 12:07 PM
The black thing is the charred torso of a doll.

Bell-Two
09-11-2014, 01:41 PM
That is a bunch of weird stuff!

del
09-11-2014, 02:54 PM
you'll narrow down a good spot there and find some coins Jim .

The black thing is the charred torso of a doll.

oh Dave , and I was sure you say it looked like a "henway";)

OxShoeDrew
09-11-2014, 07:08 PM
you'll narrow down a good spot there and find some coins Jim .

I was thinking that too, parasol parts are good signals ...other stuff should be in the area.

MangoAve
09-11-2014, 08:50 PM
Umm, drew.... There were two different hunts and umm.... that's not a parasol part. I am not a hunter so I can't tell u if it was part of a specific animal. That's why I said I didn't dig it cuz I didn't try to disturb anything.

Did they make dolls half way between the cabbage patch size and the doll size that would be gel like? I used a stick to put it on its side for a second pic and it felt squishy. It does look like a charred doll tho.

OxShoeDrew
09-12-2014, 07:21 AM
That last picture, on the left looks like a parasol part, my eyes aren't what they used to be, nor are my other senses....I'm almost senseless :lol:

MangoAve
09-12-2014, 08:25 AM
oohh.. lol. It could be. I never saw an old parasol to tell what parts are supposed to look like. That looks like a possibility for the top where the fabric meets or possibly for the slider. I thought you were saying the other pic was like the handle which would contest how good your eyes were.