PDA

View Full Version : Civil War Cavalry soldiers button in Illinois!!

zrickkid
09-12-2014, 11:32 PM
Found this beauty in a home in Kane County Illinois. It was only a few inches deep and rang up in the mid 50s to low 60s on my AT PRO. It has a Scoville waterbury mark on the back and is a two piece button. Not sure how to clean it up a bit or if at all but I did give it a light brushing with soap and water. It was such a shock to find it in this area. I also found another military button at the home as well it is the black MG crossed rifles button in the multiple items of other things found at the same home pic. I believe it is also from the early 1900s? You button guys can let me know what I have here. Is the Cavalry button from the Civil war or is it an Indian wars button from a later day. I am still shocked to have found such a cool item here in Illinois.

Nesdore
09-13-2014, 12:57 AM
Wow that is a AWESOME button:perfect10::shocked05::congrats: hope someone can tell you about it:clapping: HH

Isaac
09-13-2014, 07:12 AM
Great find, and in beautiful shape too. :thumbsup02:

aloldstuff
09-13-2014, 07:44 AM
Great looking cavalry button. If I am not mistaken, and I have been known to be, the two piece buttons have a cardboard insert so don't soak it in water. Hope it is civil war.....:congrats:on all your keepers.

Ill Digger
09-13-2014, 08:31 AM
Nice find Rick!
Congrats! :grin:
That is a pretty rare find for around here. A few years ago I found a eagle A button. Right outside of town :shocked01::happydance01:
I think alot of the soldiers wore their uniform jackets after they got home after the war. :thinkingabout: Maybe thats why we're able to find one around here every now and then.:dontknow: Yours is in waaaay better shape than mine. The back is about completely rotted out of mine. :crying01:

del
09-13-2014, 11:11 AM
SCOVILL Mf''g Co. WATURBURY 1850-1865

most likely its civil war era and in great shape too zrickkid , a little lemon juice and a toothbrush will take off any dirt or stains , then rinse of with water , pat dry and then use either some renaisance wax or a very light coat of vaseline or olive oil. very seewt button :loveit:

BTV Digger
09-13-2014, 11:30 AM
Great finds and congrats! Cavalry button listed under Albert as type CV2, and date could range anywhere between 1855 and 1902 when the Great Seal Type took over. So Civil War, Indian Wars, or even Spanish-American War could be possibilities. The fact that it still has so much gold gilt on it would suggest a later date in that range, especially considering the other button, but that's only an estimate IMO. Other item is an early infantry collar disc...likely early 20th century. Dan is one of our resident button experts and may know more.

John

Restoring Your Finds
09-13-2014, 11:35 AM
Nice artifacts and very nice button of course !

Beartoe
09-13-2014, 03:21 PM
Them soldier boys sure got around and I am glad they left you a suvoneir to dig up.

Good job saving that history. :thumbsup01:

The Rebel
09-13-2014, 05:46 PM
WTG on the Cav button! The other one is a WWI Machine Gun Collar Disk.

http://quanonline.com/military/military_reference/american/wwi_uniforms/wwi_mc_uniform.html