PDA

View Full Version : Chunk of iron made my day at heavily hunted park!

Full Metal Digger
09-13-2014, 06:50 PM
Hey diggers,
I went back to that old park that I hunted for 2 years with my ACE 250. That was 4 years ago. I went back with my e-trac last week and found 4 silvers and a bunch of wheat cents. All the coins are 8 to 10 inches deep and ringing up like junk for the most part.

I went back today for 2 hours. It took almost an hour to get my first good signal. It was a 1917 wheat cent. As I was swinging I found myself in an area that was infested with iron signals (mostly nails). I also noticed someone else's plugs that were starting to grow back. Looks like they were 2 to 3 weeks old. Suddenly I got a large nulling (iron) signal with a bit of a squeak to it. It sounded like falsing but I always investigate those signals. Sure enough, I could isolate a 12-42 signal right on top of the large iron signal. The e-trac is great for picking up both signal types at the same time.

I dug down about 5 inches and out pops a wheat cent. I filled in my hole and re-swept and bang I got a 12-47 on top of the grass (at the edge of my plug)! I looked and it was a 1935 silver quarter I did not see that had popped out of the hole while I was digging. I re-swept again and got another 12-42 signal about 2 inches to the left of the plug I had just covered over. So I did the ole half plug trick (in the shape of a crescent moon) and was shocked to see another silver quarter pop out!

Two silver quarters and a wheat cent all masked by a big chunk of iron below it! I wonder how many guys (myself included) over the years have missed that find simply because their metal detector only showed a big iron target?

I also found an Illinois tax token of a variety I have not seen before. Probably 1930's like the square ones we find.

Thanks for looking and HH, Dave.

MangoAve
09-13-2014, 07:00 PM
Hmm. What does 1 1/2 mills means. Wait... u said tax token. I wonder what the token does.... wish I could use that one on my property taxes. Lol. Nice finds. I never have an issue when the iron is underneath. Sometimes when the item is next to it I do but not often. Just different machines.

Digger Don
09-13-2014, 07:25 PM
Nice job Finding those coins everyone else misses. Congrats on the Silver and Tax token.

zrickkid
09-13-2014, 07:46 PM
Nice finds and a great teachable moment for us on how to investigate those iron signals. Thanks.

wisconsin digger
09-13-2014, 07:58 PM
Great finds under tough conditions. WD

aloldstuff
09-13-2014, 10:26 PM
Another nice hunt. :congrats:on getting the silver when others have passed on it. Once again it proves that you need to know your machine.

Cheap Thrills
09-13-2014, 10:42 PM
Nice going Daddy a successful unmasking like that would have made my day also .:thumbsup01:

Nesdore
09-14-2014, 10:33 AM
Nice hunt gotta love them silver quarters :congrats:

Ill Digger
09-14-2014, 08:47 PM
Nice hunt Dave!
2 quarters and a wheat in one hole....that's fun!!! :clapping::lol:
Congrats ! :grin:
The tax token is reeeeeally cool Dave!:cool: Haven't seen one like that before! :shocked01:
Have you been able to track down a age bracket for it yet? :popcorn:

Full Metal Digger
09-14-2014, 08:58 PM
Haven't seen one like that before! :shocked01:
Have you been able to track down a age bracket for it yet? :popcorn:

Hey Tim, thanks for commenting. I have found lots of the square ones but this is the first round one I have ever seen. There is lots of them for sale on eBay. Some say 1940's in their auction listing but I don't know that for sure. Take care and HH, Dave.

SeabeeRon
09-15-2014, 12:29 PM
Great job Dbl D!! :cool: Gotta dig those signals especially at place you have already gone over!

Hook
09-15-2014, 11:14 PM
good job sniffing out ole george on top of that iron!! a feew weeks back i did about the same thing with a 250. nice high tone that kicked straight to iron , from any direction. most people would pass on that signal, and i have done so in the past. but something about the signal made me dig it, and sure enough..silver quarter about an inch above a big chunk of cast iron pipe. i was surprised and elated LOL. sometimes the trash signal isnt all trash.

Tony Two-Cent
09-16-2014, 07:44 AM
Congrats on the silver quarter spill, Dave! That will make for an exciting dig every time! :thumbsup02:

Sometimes I'm amazed at how much silver is still out there to be found after these sites have been detected for 40+ years. We really are fortunate to live in these times where silver can still be found on a regular basis.