PDA

View Full Version : A Couple of Weekend Hunts / Dug Some Nice Silver

Digger Don
09-13-2014, 08:11 PM
Last weekend Digger Al and I door knocked at a house up in Wisconsin. We dug a bunch of tokens which I posted earlier in the week and a couple of Rosies which I'm posting now.
Today we went out again and hit a couple of towns along the Fox River here in Illinois. We got permission at a house that was built around 1920. The only coins we dug were a few wheats, but I did find a very nice Sterling Silver Saint William medallion at about 5 inches. We moved up river a couple of towns and found a house built in 1850. The home owners were extremely nice and told us to go for it. We hunted about an hour. Alec dug a 1940 Washington Quarter, a toy car & marble. and I dug a 1950 Rosie. We both got a few more wheats. The home owner gave us a lead about a house down the street that was built in 1837. We were told that Mary Todd Lincoln used to go there to have her fortune told by the medium that lived there. I actually looked it up on line when I got home and its true. Anyway, I dug an 1895 Barber Quarter and Alec dug a 1923 Merc. Amazingly, no Indians at these old houses.

Isaac
09-13-2014, 08:17 PM
Great hunt!!! :shocked04: So much silver!!!

That barber quarter has got to be my favorite of the bunch. There is some nice details on that one! :clapping:

Full Metal Digger
09-13-2014, 08:28 PM
Don, you and Alec are killing it using the "Tony Two-cent method" of finding silvers! That 1895 quarter is VERY nice and would have been in circulation only a short time before it was lost. Congrats on yet another great bunch of finds. HH, Dave.

coinnut
09-13-2014, 08:39 PM
Great hunt, all that silver :drool: It can sometimes be very hard to find a certain period of coinage at standing homes. It's all there though, but usually masked or partially masked. Slowing way down and using a smaller coil has always worked for me. Work extremely small areas (patches) and give the machine time to hear the different levels that the targets are located at. It's a 3 dimensional game and speed is not in your favor :lol:

Trooper Bri
09-13-2014, 09:54 PM
Nice pile of silver Don!

aloldstuff
09-13-2014, 10:23 PM
With all that silver who cares about the IH's. Very nice Barber and religious medallion.

Cheap Thrills
09-13-2014, 11:35 PM
Great finds and pictures . I never knew there was a St.William , I'm going to have to check out what he was noted for .

So much for that ......... there are actually 14 St.Williams listed !

The Rebel
09-14-2014, 07:04 AM
Love all that silver Don!

zrickkid
09-14-2014, 08:23 AM
Nice finds Don. Hopefully we will have as good of luck today as well. Happy hunting.

Tony Two-Cent
09-14-2014, 08:40 AM
Amazing finds once again, Don! I love that Barber Quarter! :loveit:

You and Alec are having an incredible year. I hope your hot streak continues! :thumbsup02:

Nesdore
09-14-2014, 10:28 AM
:congrats: To you and Al on a bunch of nice coins :thumbsup01: That Barber is Sweet can't wait to find any barber coin. That St.Williams piece is nice too HH

wisconsin digger
09-14-2014, 09:30 PM
Nice bunch of silver. WD

Ill Digger
09-14-2014, 10:59 PM
Dug some nice silver?
:yes: Yeah you guys did!! :clapping:
I like the 1800's Barber quarter the most, but that silver medallion is a super cool find too! :thumbsup02:
I've never found a silver religious medallion or pendent.
Congrats guys!! :grin: