PDA

View Full Version : Sunday Cellar hole hunt with Todd & Dan * knee buckle* Rev war buckle? cool buttons

HEAVYMETALNUT
09-14-2014, 09:21 PM
Todd & myself invited Dan up to the sites we hit last weekend.Targets weren't as bountiful as we anticipated but we all walked out with some keepers.the cabin site was the 1st site we hit as Todd & myself only spent a few minutes at this place on the way out last week due to darkness setting in.
I got a ornate knee buckle frame,a very cool D-type buckle which Dan said may possibly be Rev War.a nice flowered large dandy button.the site I dug 5 coppers at last week gave up a couple neat buttons.one must have a high lead content as it has a white patina and a maltese cross type design with thread still stuck in shank.the other button is a beautiful designed colonial button which has a ton of real silver gilt left on it.it cleaned up beautifully. 4 tombac buttons & a large musket ball.
Temps were great,no bugs and great hunting company.Can't ask for better.
Dan found a full deer skull and gave it to me then I found one :thumbsup02:

del
09-14-2014, 09:57 PM
some great buttons Dave and buckles !! :smitten:it appears to be a musket sling buckle
heres a link to a business that makes repos of old buckles yours looks like (B17) is it about the same size demensions??
http://www.jarnaginco.com/18th%20century%20buckles1.htm

HEAVYMETALNUT
09-14-2014, 10:43 PM
it's 1 1/2 inches tall but yeah looks like that B17 for sure.thanks!

Isaac
09-15-2014, 05:49 AM
What a great hunt with great people! Those buckles are beautiful and the buttons are absolutely stunning. :smitten:

aloldstuff
09-15-2014, 07:45 AM
:congrats:on your buttons and buckles. That silver gilt button is beautiful and your rev war sling buckle is fantastic. Don't think I have ever seen 2 complete deer skulls w/antlers found before.

The Rebel
09-15-2014, 08:17 AM
WTG on the finds Dave! Was a nice weekend to get out. Glad you guys avoided the bees.

Bell-Two
09-15-2014, 06:46 PM
Oh my gosh that is a sweet bunch of finds. Wonderful buttons, really great buckles....no bugs that is nice!

Trooper Bri
09-15-2014, 07:33 PM
Some great looking buttons you're finding lately. Couldn't ask for much better weather either. Congrats!

Lodge Scent
09-16-2014, 08:56 AM
More great buttons! How old do you think that flat iron is ?