PDA

View Full Version : Friday's hunt

NAGOLOCOP
09-21-2014, 01:36 PM
I've been eyeing a piece of property now for over a year it was a vacant lot which has been for sale for a couple of years, there used to be a house on the lot many years ago. Well I finally got the time to chase down the owner(she bounces back and forth from house to cottage all summer).
We had a real nice chat she went to school with my mother.
Anyways the current owners used to own a construction company and they were the ones who tore the house down and filled the property in with lots of FILL. I was only able to find one spot on the property which had old soil and I pulled out 2 nice items the rest of the property all I found was clad $3.10.
Either item I can't I'd other than the one with the dog looks to be a buckle but is large and heavy, and the old copper is toast on the back side
Maybe somebody can help out with the bust.
Thanks for lookin and HH

aloldstuff
09-21-2014, 03:11 PM
Fill is the enemy of the detectorist. Hope someone can help you with the ID of that copper.

Digger Don
09-21-2014, 03:12 PM
A couple of cool finds there.
Unfortunately, I cant help you out with the coin, but I guarantee someone on this forum can.

del
09-23-2014, 03:33 PM
the buckle is called a Mills 1881 pattern "sportsman" used from 1881-1885 . its a die struck rolled brass plate with brazed on tongue and multi piece belt attachment and keeper. likely it was made for resale by Winchester Arms company to the general sports trade with woven shotgun or rifle belt.

here is a link to one http://pics.amres.com/p_ASP/KR035P.asp

the copper looks like a counterfeit King George III hibernia half penny copper from around the 1770' to 1780's . here is a picture of a similar one

NAGOLOCOP
09-23-2014, 07:43 PM
Thank you del