PDA

View Full Version : Indian and a Caribou

Full Metal Digger
09-21-2014, 03:40 PM
Hey Diggers,

I went over to East St. Louis this morning and visited an old park that dates to about 1910. I usually try to hit this park on a Sunday morning when all the druggies are still sleeping! The grass had not been mowed recently and was a good 4 inches thick which made swinging a bit difficult. I was working an area that has a lot of iron infestation looking for signals others have missed.

I dug a couple wheat cents and then got a scratchy high tone about 6 inches deep. I cut the plug and the sunray probe was hitting a lot of iron signals but also a squeaky one. It sounded like a wheat cent but then got sharper and hit at 12-47! Out popped a silver Canadian quarter dated 1950.

Later I was over by some trees and got a deep 12-42. I cut the plug and dug down and saw a wheat cent in the bottom of the hole. I closed the plug, stood up and re-swept and got another 12-42! Oh man, I missed one. So I had to reopen the plug, scoop the dirt out and there was another green wheat cent. I closed the plug, stood up and re-swept again and got a 12-35 signal. Are you kidding me? I reopen the plug again, scoop out the dirt again, and found an Indian head cent in the side of the hole. After I filled in the hole for the third time I was thinking there better not be any more coins in that spill (unless it's silver of course)!

Here's some pics thanks for looking and HH, Dave.

Notice the heavy iron staining!

Only the third time I have found a spill with wheats and an Indian cent together. Look how crisp that 1910 date is!

Found 4 other wheat cents with nice patina

A pen knife and a cheap 18K HGE ring.

$5.60 in modern coins

pulltabsteve
09-21-2014, 03:46 PM
Nice hunt DD! Cool little knife. Nice pocket spill and 80% silver!

Digger Don
09-21-2014, 04:05 PM
Nice job on the Silver & Indian. Looks like you paid for your gas today with all that clad.
Congrats on a nice hunt.

aloldstuff
09-21-2014, 07:58 PM
As far as the spill goes, just consider it as exercise....up, down, up, down. Know what you mean about getting to some parks "early".
:congrats:on your caribou and all your keepers.

Tony Two-Cent
09-21-2014, 08:58 PM
Congrats on the silver Canadian quarter, Dave! I have never found one.

Very cool early wheat cent/Indian Head spill too! I have found IH spills and wheat spills, but never the two coins together in the same spill. I know you have done it before, once when I was with you.

:congrats:

Ill Digger
09-21-2014, 11:04 PM
A silver caribou!! Too bad it don't weigh as much as a caribou. :lol:
Congrats!
The IH must of been on the bottom of the spill for you to get thee penny signal and not the IH signal.
Or at least maybe it was the deepest of the three.:dontknow: Just a guess.

zrickkid
09-25-2014, 12:33 PM
I found a George VI and QE2 quarters in a spill last year myself. They are cool coins to find and not very common here especially in silver! Nice find.