PDA

View Full Version : this weekends finds* saturday shoe buckle * Sunday's debacle * bad luck for Todd

HEAVYMETALNUT
09-21-2014, 08:15 PM
saturday hit a old farm field with my long time friend Joe,we stopped at a barn sale and I bought this gas mask for 3 bucks.got permission to do the field.a load of junk and one shoe buckle farme.
Sunday Todd & me got together with Dan.ride up was pouring.by time we met Dan they rain had stopped but we got soaked from walking to the site in high grass.almost make it to site and Todd yells "RUN"! yellow jackets!!!!
so me and Dan start running!:hystericallaugh: I glance over my shoulder and Todd is running behind us :shocked04: I'm thinkin to myself ..Todd please detour cuz your following us and the yellow jackets are hot on your arse :rofl: stinging him as he's running behind us.i figure it's just a matter of time till the rest of pack starts nailing us.
Dan and myself survived but Todd got it a few times.
we get to site Todd starts swinging and 5 mins later he comes walking near me coil hanging by wire not attached to his shaft? :shocked02: broke his coil.that's 2 strikes for Todd what else can possibly go wrong?
we hunted the very quiet site for a few hours.Dan got a shoe buckle frame,todd a couple buttons and me Nada,zilch,nuthin!
so we head back to car,i almost get stuck in mud crossing a swamp.
Dan says I'm goin home! the smartest one in the bunch today.
todd and myself go to another area that have 2 sites that dan has been to before.1st site was so quiet but I finally snuck out a copper! look at it..toasted and slick :girlcry:
mind you..weatherman says clear rest of day.we get to next site. tons of iron,very frustrating site,i pull a saddle shield 2 buttons,a cache of brass organ reeds then the sky opens up on us.we tried to hang in there but the lack of finds,tons of iron and now soaked to the gills,we admitted defeat and walked the 20 mins out of the drenched forest with our tails between our legs.not one of our better hunts that's for sure. After weeks of very successful hunts I figured we'd be knocked off our wagon and today that's what happened ;)

Bell-Two
09-21-2014, 08:36 PM
Sounds like a tough day Dave but you still got some nice things for you efforts. What goes around comes around and you will be rewarded for your determination today. It seems like the bees seem to have it in for you guys lately. :stretcher:

Lodge Scent
09-21-2014, 08:38 PM
Rough day Dave. But in spite of the challenges you still brought home a few goodies.

aloldstuff
09-22-2014, 05:40 AM
WOW sorry about your luck on this hunt. Thru it all you and Todd stayed with it and as you said Dan being the smart one. Question for you, you have a token with the #2 on it. Years ago I found one very similar but with a 5 on it, any idea of what it is?

The Rebel
09-22-2014, 08:35 AM
Sheesh, that's one bad hunt but you were able to nab a few goodies.

So sorry to hear about Todd, can't wait til the killing frost takes care of them!

HEAVYMETALNUT
09-22-2014, 09:42 AM
WOW sorry about your luck on this hunt. Thru it all you and Todd stayed with it and as you said Dan being the smart one. Question for you, you have a token with the #2 on it. Years ago I found one very similar but with a 5 on it, any idea of what it is?

thanks,no idea on the tag with #2 on it.various uses i'm sure

Tony Two-Cent
09-22-2014, 10:26 AM
Todd should have developed complete immunity to yellow jacket stings by now, as often as he's been stung. :stretcher: :lol:

You still got some decent finds in spite of the trying day, Dave.

What is that object with the leaf springs? An old bicycle or motorcycle frame?

del
09-22-2014, 03:23 PM
:wow:I never saw a reed cache before Dave , looks like you have enough for the whole squeezebox restoration.;) the shield buckle is cool , you must have a few of them by now??

Alright next time the slowest one has to get attacked by the hornets because Todd runs too fast .:yes: me with a cold/flu :sick:just about died trying to stay out in front of him :rofl: that site was out there and a small one at that , I so could not believe there were dig holes and somewhat recent one at that:hairpulling::ticked::bangahead02:. so between the mile long hike in , Todd's 200 meter sprint and the hike back out I was done for the day .:whiteflag::goodnight:

HEAVYMETALNUT
09-22-2014, 04:12 PM
:wow:I never saw a reed cache before Dave , looks like you have enough for the whole squeezebox restoration.;) the shield buckle is cool , you must have a few of them by now??

Alright next time the slowest one has to get attacked by the hornets because Todd runs too fast .:yes: me with a cold/flu :sick:just about died trying to stay out in front of him :rofl: that site was out there and a small one at that , I so could not believe there were dig holes and somewhat recent one at that:hairpulling::ticked::bangahead02:. so between the mile long hike in , Todd's 200 meter sprint and the hike back out I was done for the day .:whiteflag::goodnight:
the slowest one did get attacked :hystericallaugh: Todd never got in front of us.I was haulin arse! you were truckin too! yeah I do have quite a few of the open faced shields as well as the closed ones.I got a feeling Drew was at this site.we may have to interrogate him!:poke:.
hey we hadda go for that site,i had a good feeling walking in there.but,I was soo wrong.any designs on your shoe buckle frame? or just plain? still a beautiful buckle

HEAVYMETALNUT
09-22-2014, 04:21 PM
Todd should have developed complete immunity to yellow jacket stings by now, as often as he's been stung. :stretcher: :lol:

You still got some decent finds in spite of the trying day, Dave.

What is that object with the leaf springs? An old bicycle or motorcycle frame?
thanks! i'm not sure which it is.has a hole at bottom like a bicycle where pedal and sprocket would go.but it's a beefy frame

del
09-22-2014, 04:28 PM
The buckle is an early one maybe 1730's to 1740 , no design (a poor man's buckle) and why there wasn't many targets there to begin with . I was looking around on the maps and there may be another one not to far away from there so we may be going back soon. maybe once the leaves fall , that cabin site was a very small one and i suspect no one found it because there weren't no dig holes around it . the settler's weren't there long and either moved the house of just abandoned it . there is still probably a cabin site near the corral we came up on but all the ground cover hid it pretty well.

Trooper Bri
09-22-2014, 05:21 PM
Not a lot left on that frame, but the tubing looks like it's for an early motorbike. Very late 1800's to early 1900's? Those leaf springs could help ID the mfg.

I'm getting you guys Tyvek jumpsuits for X-mas. PM me your sizes. :lol:

Thiltzy
09-23-2014, 04:52 PM
Bad hunts are part of the deal and are inevitable Dave. I really like the saddle shield, I love finding those.

The bee stings don't bother me much anymore it's just the itch that is so irritating:badday:
By the way, I contacted white's about the coil and I think they are sending me one, I just hope I get it before this coming Sunday's hunt. Can't wait to hit that 1710 Salt Box!!!:cheesysmile:

OxShoeDrew
09-23-2014, 05:24 PM
Sorry to hear Dan is under the weather and Todd was bit up. You scored some nice finds though. I bet I wasn't there as I'd have left you much more stuff.:lol:

don in ny
09-25-2014, 08:18 AM
I've had some great days out detecting this year and from your posts, so have you. BUT, we ALL have those days where you think you're on some great land only to come up with nothing or very little. As far as those little monsters the yellow jackets, they sting for entertainment.