PDA

View Full Version : possible 1700's button?

rsarge1
09-24-2014, 10:39 PM
Hi I just found this button here in the Denver area and if I'm right it is dated to the 1700's by the shape of the shank the only cleaning I've done is with a tooth brush and soap and water, it seems to be one piece with a shield in the middle a crown on top and a lion on the left as well as a unicorn on the right, I was wondering if any of you experts know what it might be and how should I go about cleaning it, thanks

sarge

del
09-25-2014, 02:35 AM
Sarge real good close ups of the shank (from where its attached to the button and to the hole), the design and the area of where it looks corroded or opened up to see the actual metal type.

rsarge1
09-25-2014, 08:05 AM
I just have my camera on the phone but I'll see if I can get a better shot, I'm not good with taking pics LOL

OxShoeDrew
09-25-2014, 09:40 AM
Early 1700s according to this...but I don't know. http://www.bravodigs.org/artifact.html
Nice find!

rsarge1
09-25-2014, 11:20 AM
yes that is what I found also if this turns out to be 1700's it will be the oldest and neatest thing I've found lol thanks

del
09-25-2014, 05:59 PM
Sarge the British coat of arms or crest has the lion and unicorn design motif but like I said a real good clear close up can determine if it an authentic one or a close reproduction for civilian dress clothes. The things that will count are the button's composition , construction and front design.

rsarge1
09-25-2014, 07:14 PM
Sarge the British coat of arms or crest has the lion and unicorn design motif but like I said a real good clear close up can determine if it an authentic one or a close reproduction for civilian dress clothes. The things that will count are the button's composition , construction and front design.

I had to post a new thread in order to do the new pics I posted under close up pics of possible 1700's coin see if those second pics help if not I will try to find a camera with macro capabilities thanks
sarge

Ronandari
09-25-2014, 07:16 PM
Hey RSarge. If you can get a clear pic with your phone, most phones can zoom and crop to get a close up. Here is a how to for the IPHONE.
http://m.imore.com/daily-tip-easily-crop-photo-iphone

Ron

rsarge1
09-25-2014, 07:19 PM
I had to post a new thread in order to do the new pics I posted under close up pics of possible 1700's coin see if those second pics help if not I will try to find a camera with macro capabilities thanks
sarge

yes I did that and had to start a new thread to post the new pics called ;close up pics of possible 1700's coin

rsarge1
09-25-2014, 08:38 PM
ok here are some better pics I hope, I'm pretty sure the button is made of brass.I don't know why I couldn't reply with pictures before I had these taken by a friend with a good camera thanks for all the help, if this is a real 1700's button I wish it could talk and tell me how it got all the way here to Colorado when the state of Colorado wasn't formed until the year 1889.

rsarge1
09-26-2014, 01:24 PM
well I was able to clean some of the dirt away using a tooth pick and was a little leary of the white spots on the button so I got a better look at those and it appears that it is a cast button with an outer coating that is coming off and the thing I thought was a unicorn now looks like a dog on the right side and a lizard or dragon on the left side so I guess I was excited over nothing LOL thanks for your help

sarge

Ronandari
09-26-2014, 02:13 PM
Its still a neat find. The figure on the left appears to be a winged dragon to me. :thumbsup01:

del
09-26-2014, 08:17 PM
Sarge to be honest I was really hoping it was genuine but the discolored chipping areas worried me the most about it . it looked like a an aluminum alloy or a type of "pot metal" that was corroding and a brass or copper alloy or tombac button rarely reacts this way and a pewter button would be rough on the outside edges. its probably a reproduction of an old style of button but I really appreciate you posting it . I'd be more then happy to send a few different types of colonial to mid 1800's era buttons ( to keep ) out your way to compare these to the one you have.

Dan

rsarge1
09-26-2014, 09:05 PM
thanks I was hoping myself that it was good but not to be LOL it is rare to find anything that old in these parts maybe next time LOL and thanks for your help Dan. after seeing the corroded areas better under the magnifying glass I could tell it wasn't real but it had me going for a while.