PDA

View Full Version : Connecticut copper spill lives on....Caught on video, just barely...

GKman
09-25-2014, 05:19 PM
I found another Connecticut Copper in the same place I had located the four Connecticut Copper spill in late April of last year.

Somehow, I missed this one on my return visits and crisscrossing the area in what I thought was a thorough manner. The thing I was doing different this time was using the 17 inch coil and I ran the machine at 30 Sensitivity. Perhaps that is what made the difference.

I was filming the recovery and of course as luck would have it the battery on my new camera glasses died at the exact same time that the coin popped out!
Here is a link to the recovery
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAjMi_arDds&list=UUWzTgbwVf8eljqlbolU41vg

If you aren't interested in hearing the CTX or seeing the CTX display during the video and just care to see the coin pop out of the ground then jump to the last four seconds of film..And I swear I am going to slap myself if I don't learn to keep my head pointed further down so that I don't miss anything that falls out of the cameras field of view.

It even includes a bonus "I told you so" that I heard in my head from CTTodd

Oh, and a musket ball... Don't want to forget him...

del
09-25-2014, 05:25 PM
Congrats on "another" Connecticut Gary , any place thats producing state coppers is prime real estate to detect . hopefully we can come up with a variety type from those pictures.

Dan

Isaac
09-25-2014, 05:59 PM
I really enjoyed the video GKMan and subbed . Congrats on the copper! I hope it turns out to be a rare one for you.

GKman
09-25-2014, 06:38 PM
Thanks folks, here are the other four I found last April...And here is the video of recovering one of the coins below https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4axYTXNRYHw&list=UUWzTgbwVf8eljqlbolU41vg

Trooper Bri
09-25-2014, 07:45 PM
And I swear I am going to slap myself if I don't learn to keep my head pointed further down so that I don't miss anything that falls out of the cameras field of view.

Golf lessons will fix that. :lol: Congrats on #5! That dirt looks as dry as ours.

The Rebel
09-25-2014, 08:41 PM
WTG on the CT's!

MangoAve
09-26-2014, 06:38 AM
Apparently I leave out some words when I read things. I thought the "I told you so" was said by Todd before I pulled up the video and I was trying to hear him say it sometime after you said it. Lol. I do have a micro camera but I have never took it on any hunt. As in If I do ever decide to make a video I dont have to use the cell to do so. I think its simple push to record. A few of the videos I have seen do the same thing where the digging is just out of view of camera so it's not just you. Congrats on the find. Maybe for next year I will also have a DD coil for mine and hope it will unlock a little more potential.

GKman
09-26-2014, 01:02 PM
Thanks folks.. Yeah Mango, I should have said that if Todd were there he would have been saying to me " I told you to bring the longer shovel!"

MangoAve
09-26-2014, 02:23 PM
No, I think yours was clear enough. But I forgot to add tho, you seem to check your spot quite a bit more than I do. You were there a full 3 min before you dug going over it. Not questioning your style cuz obvi it worked to find the coin, but with me I swing the coil a bit less often over the target before digging or moving on. I tend to see if it repeats maybe 10 times. Between 2-4 inches it should repeat incessantly, I believe. I have been fooled once or twice; we all have. The times when it loses signal on a few swings it's prob good but near iron. Less frequent repeats it's should still be non-ferrous near by. I try to avoid iron as much as possible and I feel like I don't cover enough ground so the less time in one spot, the more time to find other definite's.

GKman
09-26-2014, 02:55 PM
Good question/ Observation of what you saw on tape...
Before I started filming I originally heard the signal and it sounded "different" I was surprised to hear anything worthwhile since I thought I had covered the area thoroughly last year. But either through an error in my ways (not overlapping enough), a larger coil, a different angle, the higher sensitivity, or maybe just the coin moving around in the ground over the past winter it came to light... You can see in the video how the pinpoint was off the first time around which had me thinking it was possibly iron falsing. This was a strange one, and I didn't even bother scanning the hole afterwards to see if there was some other iron nearby that caused it's original funkyness, but rest assured I will check it again the next time I am there...

Overall, I probably fall into the average range of time between signal heard and starting a recovery operation, but I figured it was a good case to document more thoroughly since it wasn't exactly normal.

MangoAve
09-26-2014, 06:01 PM
My machine isn't as advanced but there is a mode that helps with the pinpointing. With iron I usually get the falsing in normal mode (discriminate all 4 categories of iron) a bit far away from the actual iron target, as in 6-12 inches away. However, putting it into the pinpoint mode I see how large the iron area Is and how far away it is. But... pinpointing with something next to the iron is off a few inches usually. I know u can't see the display in video and therefore only speculation but I heard it repeat enough where I would dig. Yet understandable checling thoroughly yields practice. Maybe I should start video of some hunts to maybe show how the weird signals are and how they turn up to be actual good targets while keeping record of the numbers each swing. Maybe I should do a 'dry run' and dig all the targets and have a video to go back to so I learn better on stage ones I pass up which are good so that I don't miss good stuff. The last hunt I did do the same area with the barber half but not quite well enough obvi. I stayed closer to the walkway where I guessed people walked more often and maybe not overlapping that well.

Beartoe
09-26-2014, 08:03 PM
OK, I admit it ... I am jealouse :envious:

Most excellent find :perfect10:

GKman
09-27-2014, 11:00 AM
Haha.. nice .. thanks!