PDA

View Full Version : Return Visit to local 1903 house

Digger Don
09-25-2014, 08:34 PM
I went back to the house where I found the Walker Half a couple of days ago. This time I took digger Al & my nephew with me.
We hit the back yard for about an hour. My nephew dug 2 wheats ( his first two coins ever ) with my Fisher F2, Alec and I each dug one wheat.
We decided to call it quits there and got permission at a 1910 house across the street. Alec struck silver first, he dug a 1940 merc near the sidewalk. I was up near the house where the grass was worn thin due to erosion. I got a 12-44 on the surface and decided not to dig it. I figured it was a surface memorial. About 5 feet away i got a solid 12-45, also on the surface. I remembered last month when Tony Two-Cent got a 12-44 on the surface and got a Seated Dime. So I decided to dig the target and pulled out a 1936 Mercury Dime. After I filled my plug, I decided to go back to the first signal that I passed up. I'm glad I did, I got a 1903 Barber Dime at 1". i also ended up with two more wheats.
I also wanted to ad that my nephew is picking up his first detector tomorrow, an Ace 250. I think he's getting hooked.

Tony Two-Cent
09-25-2014, 09:13 PM
Ah HA! You remembered to dig those shallow signals, especially in areas where the soil has eroded away.

And aren't you glad you did?! :thumbsup01:

Two easy silvers for you, including a nice Barber Dime! Good job, Don! :thumbsup02:

I saw that your nephew registered on the forum a couple of days ago. Hopefully he will be posting cool finds of his own soon.

Congrats on the nice keepers! :clapping:

dave in iowa
09-25-2014, 10:17 PM
you just never know , i've a few old dimes 0ne inch down and indians on the ground , washed out old yards can be very good , at one i got 3 indian heads a buffalo and maybe 5 wheats , either on the ground or just below .

aloldstuff
09-26-2014, 07:05 AM
Nice digs, especially the shallow dimes. Once again this forum passed on information that helped another member.
It's a family affair....I think that if you can get at least 2 more family members interested you will have enough to start a club.

:congrats:on your keepers.

Full Metal Digger
09-26-2014, 07:22 AM
Congrats guys on some more awesome finds! I dig all targets at old houses no matter what the depth. Too many Indians and barbers have showed up only 1 or 2 inches deep. Best wishes and HH, Dave.

Beartoe
09-26-2014, 08:17 PM
I have a pine wood that I hunt sometimes, and the old coins all seem to be shallow. Less than 2 inch. Do not know why. :dontknow: You just never know.

I am glad you decided to second guess yourself and checked that surface hit.

del
09-26-2014, 08:57 PM
its amazing how some older coins can be so shallow while the zincolns can be several inches down :crazy: congrats on the nice silvers Don :clapping:

Jim D
09-28-2014, 02:01 AM
:congrats:Don! You sure have been finding a lot of silver lately! You and Tony sure have been finding
a lot of great finds! HH

leslie(nova scotia)
09-28-2014, 01:41 PM
That silver sure glows...another trip is in order!