PDA

View Full Version : Couple of slow weekends; better than no digging.

Trooper Bri
09-29-2014, 06:26 PM
I actually didn't get out last weekend, which sucked! This past weekend I got out Friday and Saturday, but the findings were meager. Which sucked! :lol:

Got to meet yet another AD member Friday on an invite from Lee. He was knackered out from an all-nighter at work, and needed a bit of a kip (I'm learning a 2'nd language :hystericallaugh: ) so we met up around 11AM and headed out to one of his haunts. Pickin's were tough. Dug a few crunky targets since I'm still early in with the V3i, and managed a busted Mickey Mouse keychain, some sort of washer or seat, a key, and a few clad. Lee did a wee bit better with a real clean 1906 Indian from the base of a tree. Gave up a after a while and we hit a field he has permission to hit. Lee managed a buckle about 9" down, and I added golf balls #2 and #3 to my 2014 finds. I have clubs, so it's not that depressing.
Lee's brief nap started wearing off, so we cut bait and pulled anchor @ 4PM. Thanks Lee, and great meeting you!

Was headed to one spot yesterday, and by chance drove by a town park with a beach. They must have closed for the season, so I was able to get in free o' charge. The swimming hole was drained down a bit, so that's where I started. The place must get hit, cause I all I found was a nickel and penny in 90 minutes on the sand. But it was a bit of a learning experience. Not saltwater sand, but the wet sand was throwing the V3i off a bit. Tried the saltwater setting, but it seemed turning the gain down helped a bit. Settings I need to research and go back again.
Poked around the park for a few more hours with a couple dimes and wasted zincs to show for it. Somebody hits the place.

Got 4 days off this weekend, hoping I can find some good hunting grounds. On with the lousy pic!

MangoAve
09-29-2014, 06:44 PM
Bri, correct that date on the wheat unless it was an IH. Nbd tho. At least u got out. I hit a real old park with trees at least 150 years old but all I managed was clad and an i love my dog fob or bracelet pendant. I'm guessing the park u hit I have hit a few months back. I only got 1 wheat but a bunch of clad. Quarters-a-plenty. Sorry, sir. I spent only 5 min near beach but the rest by the grass with the grills. I hit a green yesterday and only hit clad. There was a ridic amount of iron so I spent time distinguishing targets and not hitting a larger area.

I got a house that's mid 1700's that is vacant and for sale but I'm being quite nebbish to ask.

Ronandari
09-29-2014, 07:18 PM
At least you were able to get out. My hunts have too far between this year and then when I get out I am rushed to cover ground. Metal detecting and being hurried don't go well together.

Ron

OxShoeDrew
09-29-2014, 07:33 PM
Brian, those are all high end targets. I didn't know you got a v3i. Like it so far?

aloldstuff
09-29-2014, 07:57 PM
Brian, glad you got out and with 4 days off this week I'm sure you will be detecting up a storm. Looking forward to your next finds.

Sometimes its not how you detect but where you detect.

Trooper Bri
09-29-2014, 08:52 PM
Brian, those are all high end targets. I didn't know you got a v3i. Like it so far?

I like it so far Drew. Far more engaging than my 350. Only had it 2 or 3 weeks, so maybe 16 hours or so swinging with it though. Lots to learn, but getting on top of some VDI's and having 3 freq's to tell me it's not a quarter, etc. No woods yet, but I'm probably going to hit the walls with the few relics I found close to me this long weekend. The edges of the rocks were falsing my Garrett in that area, so I'll know to expect it with the V3i too.

Thanks for the correction Jim, it was an Indie. Durrrr, work is killin' me! And yeah, that place had a lot of grills if we're on the same page.

And thanks as well Al. Working on the where. Think this is the weekend to knock on a door.