PDA

View Full Version : large cent

randy
06-17-2010, 06:01 PM
Headed to a park I've never hunted before, which has an old house and some grounds dating back a few years. Wanted to get near the house but too many people where hanging there so headed around the grounds to get the feel for the place -- nothing but surface clad :bangahead01: :bangahead01: so I figured the place has been pounded.

Finally got near the house with about 15 minutes before I had to get back to work and found my first completely worn small copper, fairly deep. Figured this was a good place and then got a beautiful deep silver hit on the E-trac -- figured it was going to be a silver quarter, and when I pulled the dirt away it was dark -- I thought it was a clad quarter at 8 inches :mad:, but it was an 1831 large cent :happydance01:, in ok shape as these things go around here. I wasn't fond of this place initially, but perhaps a high end machine hadn't gone over this spot I hit in the last 15 minutes, so I'll be back when the weather is miserable and the crowds are down to grid this area.

(Turns out the totally worn copper was an Indian, you can only tell if you run water on it and you barely see the outline of the wreath and shield. Never seen a small copper like this (not sure why I added a picture of it, but there you have it)).

coinnut
06-17-2010, 06:25 PM
Congrats on the copper. I got an Indian like that last year. It was paper thin and smaller in diameter. You could just make it out :ticked: In soil like that, there is no hope of decent coppers. But finding any copper is always nice :clapping: Can't wait to see what else you pull out of there later.

ProPointer
06-17-2010, 06:26 PM
Cool beans randy :envious: , Ridiculous IHC, I could barley make it out myself.

angellionel
06-17-2010, 06:56 PM
Nice old copper. You definitely have to work that area again. :yes:

Epi-hunter
06-17-2010, 07:03 PM
Very nice LC! :yes:

I can see the IH outline in the smaller copper :)

tanacat
06-17-2010, 07:17 PM
Congrats! :clapping: Yeah isn't it wild how water and light play such a role in ID'ing stuff?

Ill Digger
06-18-2010, 09:41 AM
After findin' a LC ,you'd have a hard time gettin' me back to work at all! lol
Sweet find!!
Congrats :grin:

RIdetector
06-18-2010, 11:02 AM
Nice LC :clapping:

del
06-18-2010, 11:38 AM
hey Randy good looking large cent , it must be the year of the 1831 as i've gotten three this year already :confused:

Cheap Thrills
06-18-2010, 12:20 PM
Nice going on the Coppers . thumbsup01

HEAVYMETALNUT
06-21-2010, 07:03 PM
cool finds! i wish coppers held up better :mad: