PDA

View Full Version : Copper/Brass Bracelet And Apple Vinegar

Beartoe
10-01-2014, 12:06 PM
A week or so ago I found this bracelet. Initialy I thought it was copper as it was somewhat pliable. Today after soaking in apple vinegar over night I was not sure what I had. After soaking I could see some golden reflections and I was wondering if it had been gold plate at one time.

A little soap and water and I discovered the golden color was the base metal still hiding behind some remaining tarnish. Using a Dremel tool and a buffing pad I cleaned it up a little more. It almost has a shine to it. Now I believe it to be a brass composite with a large amount of copper because it is pliable but harder than copper. The soft brass can be reshapped and is very resistant to accidental bending.

Pic. #1 is after the initial soap and water clean.

Pic. #2 is right after the Apple Vinegar soak

Pic. #3 is after a cleaning with the burnishing tool

Pic. #4 NOTE the design on right side looks like a three with a line over it. I believe this is a Hindue symbole for PEACE. This may be a touristy bauble from India.

Mayadigger
10-23-2014, 06:13 PM
Ave!

Wow! WTF? Your bracelet is a very close match to a very old Scythian copper snake-style trade bracelet, ca. 1st cent AD. The bulk of such bracelets were sold as trade items to Roman buyers. Very cool; almost like discovering a few Roman coins, you know?

lee
10-24-2014, 07:15 AM
Ave!

Wow! WTF? Your bracelet is a very close match to a very old Scythian copper snake-style trade bracelet, ca. 1st cent AD. The bulk of such bracelets were sold as trade items to Roman buyers. Very cool; almost like discovering a few Roman coins, you know?
i have to say that does look very roman to me having dug a few like it back in England , i would have that checked out mate you may have something special there.

Beartoe
10-26-2014, 09:04 AM
Actually I have been wearing the copper bracelet. I was hoping the copper would help alleviate my arthritis. My wrist has not turned green. The jury has not decided if it works.