PDA

View Full Version : My first doorknock with the British Bulldog! - 10/3

Trooper Bri
10-03-2014, 06:05 PM
I mentioned having this Friday off during our last hunt, so my phone rang this morning while I was doing some early chores. Gave Lee a ring back, and he tossed the ball in my court for some soil to hit, and took a ride to my place. A town square and real small park in an older town had been on my list to check out, so that's where we started.
Lee did pretty good for the small area he worked. A 5 wheatie spill, and some other coins and oddities. Anyone know what that threaded glass piece is? Stopper maybe? Think he also had another small spill. I managed some clad and some crunk. We moved on to the small park. A rail line had gone real close to it ages ago, so was hoping maybe there'd be something other than park finds, but that's all it was. More clad to be had.

Having given Lee a small tour of Ellington before we headed out, and mentioning I was a doorbell virgin, he suggested heading back and try a knock. Took a ride right to 1 of 2 places near each other that were high on my list of knocking, and Lee took command of this one. Unfortunately the missus said no, we thanked her, drove off, and that story wasn't quite over with.

My turn. Another house with a nice barn I had pointed out during the tour, and looky there, someone's outside. Pulled in, and score! Old couple (80 years old), and the house was mid 1800's or so. They have a bit of experience with Europe, so plenty to chat about with Lee. The old lady was on the porch braiding a rag rug while we were there.
Started poking around, and quickly found a power line in the front yard driving my V3i nuts. Falsing badly near it, and the rest of the yard 2.5 and 7.5kHz were fluttering.
Lee had the high hand again. A nice 1868 IH, another IH that we couldn't get a date off, and more wheaties. He also bagged a 1968 Ellington dog tag, some weird pirate/voodoo ring, and a few other bits.
I managed a few copper Lincolns before getting on the bus. My 2'nd IH (1906), a 57D wheatie, and right before we had to leave, my 1'st Barber dime. Woohoo! Lee's 1868 and my 1906 IH both look in decent shape with nice patina. No peroxide for me this time, want to clean it up right.

A car pulls up while were at that house, and a guy asks if we're detecting. Yep, we sure are. Then he asked if we had been asking in other parts of town. Yep, we sure were. Apparently we must have spooked his missus at our 1'st stop, and the guy has been driving all over Ellington looking for us. Once I explained that I lived in town, and we were harmless, he was real cool. Wound up giving me his phone number, and told me to call sometime for another shot at a permission. Whew....

Thanks for reading all, and on with the pics.
Lee's loot:

My loot:

aloldstuff
10-03-2014, 06:10 PM
:congrats:on your 1st Barber dime....many more to come. Wish I could have joined you today but still not bending correctly. I wouldn't worry about that guy trying to find you guys.....you had the bulldog with you. :lol:

Trooper Bri
10-03-2014, 06:29 PM
Thanks Al. Lee mentioned giving you a ring. Glad to meet up and detect with you when you're ready.

lee
10-03-2014, 06:30 PM
:congrats:on your 1st Barber dime....many more to come. Wish I could have joined you today but still not bending correctly. I wouldn't worry about that guy trying to find you guys.....you had the bulldog with you. :lol:
your right there al , the bulldog was at hand , tenacious , loyal and will fight to the death.........actually i think its because i smell bad and drool a lot :ukflag::ukflag::ukflag:.
thanks for a great time bri , i really enjoyed me self .....we gota hit that last house some more , there is 1800s silver there im sure.
the beat up Indian is in peroxide as we speak and the date looks like 1859 my oldest Indian to date.

Trooper Bri
10-03-2014, 07:07 PM
If she's 1859, that's the oldest Indian you'll ever get. Congrats! We can try there and any other place. Let's see how next weekend looks.

I've started picking away at my IH with a toothpick. It's in great shape.

Ronandari
10-03-2014, 07:08 PM
Nice work you guys. :thumbsup02:. I don't usually approach a house unless someone is outside. I like to see who I'm walking up on.

Ron

Tony Two-Cent
10-03-2014, 09:29 PM
Congrats on your first Barber Dime! :thumbsup02:

That 1868 Indian Head is a great find also. That's a semi-key date that doesn't turn up too often. Looks like it's going to clean up nicely too.

Lee: An 1859 Indian Head is easily identifiable if you can see the back of it. An 1859 is the only year of Indian Head that doesn't have a shield at the top of the reverse.

lee
10-03-2014, 09:42 PM
your right tony mate and it has no shield , 1859 it is.

Nesdore
10-04-2014, 12:01 AM
:clapping: Congrats Bri on your first barber and on the Indian looks to be in great shape hope it turns out for ya. Looks like you guys had a great day of hunting :thumbsup02:

Digger Don
10-04-2014, 04:15 AM
Looks to me like you had a great day. A nice IH and your very first Barber. Wow
Congrats on your finds and continued success