PDA

View Full Version : Persistance pays off.

Ronandari
10-03-2014, 08:45 PM
I started working on getting permission to hunt a field last fall. It is a nice field just outside of McVille Kentucky and it dates back to the early 1800s but it is also has early Indian history back thousands of years. I contacted the farmer who owns the property and had a nice visit. He told me that that out of all his land, this the only parcel that he posted with no trespassing. He explained to me that a rock hunter in the area had run ins with many of the locals which left him no choice but to keep people out.

I went to all of the homes surrounding the land and met the people to talk about the reasons that kept people out. I found that a local rock hunter had ruffled a lot of feathers. All of the folks that I chatted with are friendly and just plain Ol' good folks. Anyway, I had narrowed down the key players which were the man who oversees the land and the rock hunter.

I met with the man who oversees the property for the owner (One of the key players). I expected him to be pretty rough but he turned out to be a great guy. We talked for over an hour in his driveway about history and the area. he was worried that if I hunted that the other guy would start coming back closed door.

I then met with the rock hunter. he too was a great guy and we talked for over an hour. He took me into his house, which was built in 1812, and showed me his collection. Wow! he had thousands of artifacts, arrowheads, stone tools, pottery and all manner of bones. It was impressive. I explained that I was looking to hunt the nearby field but needed his assurance that he wouldn't make problems and he agreed.

I went back to the last guy and explained that I had spoken with the rock hunter and told him that he had assured me that my hunting the land would not create problems. Finally he agreed to let me hunt.

The field had a school, a homestead and a tenant house and I can't wait to go for a hunt. The corn was just cut so maybe this weekend.

Some of the stone tools from the field

Wayne with some of his finds

Arrowheads from the field

Map of the field 1883

Happy hunting.

Trooper Bri
10-03-2014, 09:34 PM
Wow, a lot of work, but sounds like you made a lot of friends. And that word spreads.

Good luck there. Hope you do well.

Lodge Scent
10-04-2014, 08:15 PM
That guy has a nice collection. I suspect that area will add to your metal collection Ron :thumbsup01:

Bell-Two
10-04-2014, 09:13 PM
Keep your eyes open when detecting fields as Indian artifacts are a plus.

OxShoeDrew
10-05-2014, 05:24 AM
You deserve a big haul with all that leg work. It looks like a great site, best of luck.

Digger Don
10-05-2014, 07:58 AM
Leg work almost always pays off. I hope you do great there and i'll be looking forward to your posts.
Good Luck

Ronandari
10-05-2014, 08:49 AM
Thanks for the encouragement Guys:yes:. I hit what would have been the JW Rice home on the map yesterday. Morning with the VX3 and afternoon with the Etrak. I think that most of the house is still there underground. Massive amount of iron hits and beer cans, apparently farmers are a thirsty lot. I did manage to pull a 1920 Merc, heart shaped Mother pendant and two Wheats, 41 and 46. I haven't found any Indian artifacts since the ground is covered with corn stalks but I have been checking each hole I dig. I would love to find some arrowheads.

Happy Hunting

Ron