PDA

View Full Version : A Great Day Detecting

GKman
10-06-2014, 07:39 PM
Once again research helped turn a nondescript field into a place to dig treasure in the form of early American and British coinage . I'm very fortunate to know some great detectorists that also have a lot of connections with land owners for one reason or another, and are kind enough to sometimes invite me along to see if we can turn my research of old books and maps into history in our hands.
This piece of land I was asked to research and quickly learned that there was a home on the property during the 19th century or perhaps even older based on our finds.
It only took moments from pulling up and getting ready for Steve to get a grear signal that ended up being the first coin discovery of the day, a large copper with no detail. Four more coins would follow (one being a stinkin zincoln) and the rest large cents and a King George along with a crotal bell. It was one of those hunts where the first thing you dig is the best and then you are there for hours afterwards looking for more. There's still more ground to cover, but the grass is a bit high so we may have to wait until spring when it has been flattened by the snow. This wasn't the first and hopefully it won't be the last time I will be surprised by how research can pay off.

Full Motion Video of the Recoveries coming soon at this link http://youtu.be/IbTRdgO17SY

Cheap Thrills
10-06-2014, 08:23 PM
Wow , awesome finds and what a beautiful location to hunt .

aloldstuff
10-06-2014, 08:32 PM
What are you waiting for bring a weed wacker.....location sounds like a gold mine and :congrats:on those keepers.

Trooper Bri
10-06-2014, 08:57 PM
Nice handful of finds Gary, and great pic of the trees in that huge field. The research you guys do to find some of these long forgotten spots is fascinating to me still.

del
10-06-2014, 11:35 PM
congrats on the finds Gary , very decent George Ist half penny:cheering:

GKman
10-07-2014, 05:15 AM
I will bring my mower out and cut a couple of acres to make it easier! Hopefully if we get back out there more coins and relics will turn up out...

don in ny
10-07-2014, 06:25 AM
As always, going for the old stuff. I'd rather dig one old one than a pocket full of new stuff. Way to go.

Lodge Scent
10-07-2014, 03:39 PM
Good bit of research and recovery !

Nesdore
10-07-2014, 05:02 PM
What a beautiful place to swing a coil awesome old copper :happydance01:

wisconsin digger
10-07-2014, 07:56 PM
Nice coins, great location WD