PDA

View Full Version : New English detecting Series

Cheap Thrills
10-08-2014, 11:18 AM
" Detectorists" Episode #1Season #1 is currently on English television and Youtube . Two British chaps are looking to find "the Holy Grail of metal detecting " or perhaps The Holy Grail .These boys are serious in their quest ! Hitting the beautiful English farmlands with their trusty detectors ( one with a CTX the other a Deus) . The individual lives of the people in this film are very interesting and somewhat complicated .The casting and story line are very good and they are pretty believable as detectorists ( yes , they even dig up junk ).:lol:
Toby Jones who played Truman Capote in "Infamous" is one of the lead characters . In my estimation he and the other actors and actresses in this mini-series play their roles quite well .

I heard about this on another forum . This is NOT a reality show , it's fictional . I will not divulge any more about the plot as to not spoil it for everyone . It's a 28 minutes well spent . Enjoy !! :clapping:

Cheap Thrills
10-10-2014, 05:24 PM
This video is no longer on Youtube .

aloldstuff
10-10-2014, 07:32 PM
I just watched it. Not bad and will await episode 2.

lee
10-11-2014, 04:17 PM
i don't know if its the English humor that doesnt cross the pond well but im in fits of laughter here "hes doing a talk on buttons, wana come ?" "#@$% off" ha ha ha i laughed like a drain.
cant wait for episode 2.
anyone recognize the younger of the two detectorists ? hes the bloke in pirates of the Caribbean who can pop his eye out.

Cheap Thrills
10-11-2014, 09:27 PM
i don't know if its the English humor that doesnt cross the pond well but im in fits of laughter here "hes doing a talk on buttons, wana come ?" "#@$% off" ha ha ha i laughed like a drain.
cant wait for episode 2.
anyone recognize the younger of the two detectorists ? hes the bloke in pirates of the Caribbean who can pop his eye out.

I've always liked English humor but then again I can be a bit dry and sarcastic as well . In episode 2 (which I was fortunate to see this morning ) I can guarantee side splitting laughter for just about anybody . Two new characters are introduced and the character played by Toby Jones shows no mercy in attacking them verbally.

The fellow who was in Pirates of the Caribbean is Mackenzie Crook who wrote ,directs and stars in this film . He also is a real life detectorist . He has been in a few films of note . In the series " Game of Thrones " He showed the white's of his eyes as he rolled them to the back of his head to look through the eyes of a flying Hawk to see the progress of an advancing enemy .

aloldstuff
10-13-2014, 06:53 AM
I just watched episode 2 and its still great. Loved the "finds table"

aloldstuff
10-19-2014, 05:08 PM
Episode 3 is now available on youtube.

lee
10-19-2014, 08:38 PM
ha ha ha ha ha.......it was a bomb , omg i love this show so much.
al im off tomorrow and tuesday if you fancy a hunt mate.

Fire Fighter 43
10-19-2014, 11:42 PM
I watched all three episode and I'm hooked. I thought it was funny with a good quirky story line.

OxShoeDrew
10-20-2014, 02:27 PM
I can't find this....anyone have a link?

OxShoeDrew
10-20-2014, 02:38 PM
I found it and am laughing after the first few min!

Cheap Thrills
10-20-2014, 02:45 PM
I found it and am laughing after the first few min!

You're hooked now !:yes:

MangoAve
10-20-2014, 03:51 PM
I'd say that even not a reality show it still hits a lot of realities. Was the owner supposed to be a UK version of Christopher Lloyd? Now seeing it I know which actor from Pirates you were referring to. Lee, as you said the humor isn't exact, would they say the same as you reiterated?

Nesdore
10-20-2014, 04:39 PM
I'd love to watch it can't find it on YouTube any help?

aloldstuff
10-20-2014, 05:07 PM

go to youtube and type in Detectorists episode 1 season 1

Cheap Thrills
10-20-2014, 05:09 PM

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/3UdN47i5qmA/default.jpg

Nesdore
10-20-2014, 05:12 PM
:thumbsup01: Thanks guys found it :)

Cheap Thrills
10-20-2014, 05:19 PM
As you can see I messed up trying to put the link in . When I went to delete it I couldn't as two posts
were already following mine .Well at least I got in a tiny picture of Mackenzie Phillips and Toby Jones .:lol: I have watched and enjoyed the
first three episodes and am eagerly awaiting the rest .:thumbsup02:

Skamaniac
10-21-2014, 05:40 PM
I love British humor! This looks like a fun show.

OxShoeDrew
10-21-2014, 06:05 PM
Very funny show, I hope the the 4th episode comes out soon!

lee
10-21-2014, 06:53 PM
in my view you can keep your reality detecting shows this is more true to life anyway , well it is when i go detecting with the cronies i know !!!!!.
i even got aloldstuff doing the silver dance the first time we went out together.
still trying to crack mango , hes proving a hard nut to crack when it comes to being stupid , but i will get him........ohhhh yes i will get him .
im just loving this show.

Restoring Your Finds
10-21-2014, 07:33 PM
Love it too !!! It's broadcasted every Thursday on BBC4, so hopefully, episode 4 will very soon be out.

Episode 3 was just great and even funnier than the previous ones. I like the reference to the Staffordshire hoard... and also to Simon and Garfunkel !! :lol:

MangoAve
10-22-2014, 07:49 AM
in my view you can keep your reality detecting shows this is more true to life anyway , well it is when i go detecting with the cronies i know !!!!!.

still trying to crack mango , hes proving a hard nut to crack when it comes to being stupid , but i will get him........ohhhh yes i will get him .

:rofl: I loved this Lee. I just have to find some silver worth the dance. Maybe a seated or a barber half or slq but def a real. A merc is hardly worth the happy dance and I think I only found that Rosie with u at the park with the many cyclists. No planting finds but once I get one of those I might just have to embarass myself..

The club meeting about buttons is spot on. The fact some people you door knock to are eccentric is correct. When you get to a site you think is gonna pop out some treasure you just wanna dive in instead of treating it like an archaeological dig making sure you cover specific areas....definitely. Being overjoyed only to pull up trash... we've all been there.

aloldstuff
10-23-2014, 06:47 PM
i even got aloldstuff doing the silver dance the first time we went out together.
im just loving this show.

Oh Lee, I was doing the silver dance long long ago

aloldstuff
10-24-2014, 05:39 AM
Has anybody been able to view episode 4 off of Youtube?

Tony Two-Cent
10-24-2014, 06:09 AM
Has anybody been able to view episode 4 off of Youtube?

No, it redirects to another link where you have to register to watch.

Also, the previous episodes seem to be gone from YouTube now? At least I can't find them.

Fire Fighter 43
10-24-2014, 10:30 PM
You Tube is showing me that it is not available in my country and when you go to BBC it also shows that it is only available for UK IP addresses. So here is a way to view it in the USA. It worked great for me. Episode 4 is available now. What is really nice is that the video is full screen and HD instead of having that big DETECTORIST marquee along the top like it did in Youtube..

I copied this work around from another forum so do not give me credit for figuring this out.

Windows 8 PC with Google Chrome browser installed but probably Windows 7 or less will work.. Mac owners are on their own....

Install the Chrome extension called Hola Better Internet which can be found here
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/hola-better-internet/gkojfkhlekighikafcpjkiklfbnlmeio?hl=en

Now click on the extension which can be found in the upper right and select Browse from United Kingdom

Now click on Popular sites in the lower right of that extension window

Select BBC and it should say it is unlocking it.

Search the BBC site for detectorists and then select play on the BBC Iplayer and it should open up...

aloldstuff
10-25-2014, 02:15 AM
I finally did get to see it off of youtube. Yes Tony the previous episodes have been deleted.

In my opinion this episode was not as good as previous ones.....just saying

Cheap Thrills
10-25-2014, 04:12 PM
I finally did get to see it off of youtube. Yes Tony the previous episodes have been deleted.

In my opinion this episode was not as good as previous ones.....just saying

My opinion as well , it seemed a bit long winded at times . Still a good show though . In the next two episodes we should be seeing more of Larry and " Simon and Garfunkel" their presences seem to heat it up a bit .I loaded Google up and after a bit of tribulation I got "Hola" . I was able to watch episode 4 and the preview for Five was there also .I passed on the preview of five because it was late and I was tired .So today I went back to "Hola" and of course now it's not working ( it seem's like Hola as been having a few problems on occasion lately . I'm looking forward to the final two episodes . If you go on you tube and look under Season 1 episode 4 Episodes 1,2,4 and 4 are there (yes 2-4's no 3 ) . bbc 4 has the first 4 episodes and the preview of five , better watch them while you can !.

Beartoe
10-26-2014, 12:44 PM
I got up early this morning, packed a lunch and made a thermos of coffee. Me and my four legged buddy were gonna go hunt all day. Unfortunately it started raining before the sun came up and here it is 7 hours later and it is still rainy, windy and cold.

I like british humor so thanks guys for giving me something to do. I am gonna go watch "Detectorist" on YouTube and Football on TV. The wife is gonna hate me. :disgusted:

Cheap Thrills
10-30-2014, 11:15 PM
Episode #5 is now showing and it is great !:yahoo::clapping:

Restoring Your Finds
10-31-2014, 06:47 AM
Have all episodes with english subtitles so far. :) (Excuse my French) If ever needed...

aloldstuff
10-31-2014, 06:47 PM
Just watched episode 5.......great.

lee
11-01-2014, 07:41 AM
absolutely brilliant !!!!!!! great episode , i just cant miss a show now , im right there with em , hook , line , sinker , copy of angling times.
"i need you back....i cant turn the telly on".....ha ha ha ....i think ive wet me self.

Cheap Thrills
11-01-2014, 01:10 PM
The seagull scene in the beginning said it all for poor Andy . You just knew it was coming .

aloldstuff
11-01-2014, 06:35 PM
The seagull scene in the beginning said it all for poor Andy . You just knew it was coming .

you're absolutely right....and I have a feeling that Andy and Lance are about to come out on top at the digging site.

lee
11-07-2014, 07:02 AM
its here.....episode 6 and omg its a good one.
the open day is great one of the finds tables is lances "ring pulls through the ages" laughed my ass off.
here is the link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2dUHsCN69s

giant056
11-07-2014, 07:10 AM
I've watched all the episodes, it's like a metal detecting soap :grin:

Cheap Thrills
11-07-2014, 12:40 PM
Thanks for the link Lee . It was a great episode and series .

Nesdore
11-07-2014, 09:31 PM
I've watched all the episodes, it's like a metal detecting soap :grin:

:hystericallaugh: that's so funny my wife said that to me I told her it was way better than her soaps lol

Fire Fighter 43
11-08-2014, 09:46 AM
LOL!! The "Ring Pulls Through the Ages" table at the meeting made me burst out laughing. I think that was the season finally, hopefully they will pick it up for several more.

giant056
11-08-2014, 04:39 PM
I get all of them on newsgroups myself, they've all been in 720P

aloldstuff
11-09-2014, 04:26 PM
LOL!! The "Ring Pulls Through the Ages" table at the meeting made me burst out laughing. I think that was the season finally, hopefully they will pick it up for several more.

I really hope not. That last episode I thought that Becky was gonna find the gold. And the outline of the ship from the air, come on new season

MangoAve
11-16-2014, 12:33 AM
Just added YouTube to the Roku. I can only see the trailers for the previous episodes even tho I did catch the first, and now the latest. Hmm At least I know I felt like both of them at the beginning. There are a bit of eccentric people but I don't think I have knocked yet at someone like that farmer. I also did stumble upon a different set of informative shows. Although so far the majority seems to be about gold prospecting, which I am kinda far away from the gold areas of the country, there has been some interesting points on how to research.

giant056
11-16-2014, 07:34 AM
It sure was a short run for the first season with only 6 episodes, I think maybe next season they might have more than 6 cause it seems to be a popular show so far :grin:

lee
11-17-2014, 07:22 AM
you will be happy to know its back in 2015.....i cant wait.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2014/detectorists-2015

Skamaniac
11-17-2014, 10:07 PM
I didn't think I'd like it that much, but the Brits got me with another one! I think I like British TV better than American any more. :usaflag::ukflag: