PDA

View Full Version : Early MASS button - Seated - CWT

aloldstuff
10-08-2014, 12:47 PM
Decided to hit a field that I have been to in the past. I was really just expecting some wheats, boy did I underestimate.

When I arrived there a guy was mowing the lawn and I noticed that he had made about a foot cut into the tall weeds so that was where I started. The first dig was the 1841 O seated dime. Very dirty (brown) but I'll take it. Next was a wheat which was so encrusted that I thought it was a IH. About 3 feet away from that I get a Army Navy CWT, a first for me.

To me the last find is the best. I am assuming that it is a Massachusetts button only because of the Indian w/bow on the front. This one does not have a back mark nor the word MASSACHUSETTS on the front. Came out very clean and intact shank. Any info appreciated.

I also dug a buckle and a rolled up decorative piece of brass.

Thanks for reading and HH

del
10-08-2014, 02:57 PM
Wow :shocked03: Al you had a great hunt , i'd go back an pound that field . I absolutely love the Mass. militia button it could date anywhere from 1808 to 1825 . its a great looking button :loveit:

OxShoeDrew
10-08-2014, 04:16 PM
SWEET Al! I've yet to find a CW token and never even knew about those Mass buttons. Will that brown stuff come off the seated? Big congrats !!

aloldstuff
10-08-2014, 04:24 PM
SWEET Al! I've yet to find a CW token and never even knew about those Mass buttons. Will that brown stuff come off the seated? Big congrats !!

Drew,

I tried some baking soda on the seated and it helped a little, not much though. I was lucky to get this CWT, VDI was really weird. I have been on the internet looking for another example of the MASS button without the word MASSACHUSETTS on it and I can't find one.

del
10-08-2014, 04:37 PM
Al , I think there are only two of the large types and 1 small cuff size.

Cheap Thrills
10-08-2014, 05:11 PM
That's some cool old stuff Al ! :) :congrats:

Thiltzy
10-08-2014, 06:12 PM
Fantastic hunt Al! That's a killer Mass Button:smitten:Congratz sir, that's a kick butt hunt you had

The Rebel
10-08-2014, 06:43 PM
WTG Al! Love those finds!

Isaac
10-08-2014, 08:47 PM
WOW!!! :shocked05:What a gorgeous looking button Al!!! And let's not forget about that wonderful seated... what a day! :thumbsup02:

lee
10-08-2014, 09:31 PM
could that seated be a counterfeit ? i dug one the same last year that would not clean up and turned out to be a counterfeit .
i think del told me thay are the most counterfeited coin out there, still bloody cool though any way you slice it.

aloldstuff
10-08-2014, 09:46 PM
could that seated be a counterfeit ? i dug one the same last year that would not clean up and turned out to be a counterfeit .
i think del told me thay are the most counterfeited coin out there, still bloody cool though any way you slice it.

Lee,

It cleaned up some with the baking soda, both sides now show some silver color so I'm sure if I continued with the cleaning process it will clean up.

Nesdore
10-08-2014, 10:14 PM
:perfect10: :notworthy: Wow Al great hunt that seated is awesome I hope to dig one someday..Congrats on the button also it's in great condition:beerbuddy:

Ill Digger
10-08-2014, 10:35 PM
Nice, nice, nice Al!! :clapping: Nice bag of goodies you got there!
Congrats! :grin:
I was thinking the same thing as Lee. Maybe a counterfeit.
I'd like to see some of the progress your cleaning efforts have made. :popcorn:
And the button.... is a great find too!! I don't know much about buttons but if Dan says it's 200+ years old then... :shocked04: WOW that's old!! :yahoo:

GKman
10-09-2014, 06:12 AM
Gorgeous find for sure! Considering the condition it's in, it must have time traveled to the present day and landed in that field for you to find.. Way to go!

Bell-Two
10-09-2014, 08:30 AM
Try this method

http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/showthread.php?696-Method-To-Remove-Sulfide-From-Silver

instead of Baking soda I use Arm & Hammer WASHING soda which can be found in the detergent section at most larger stores. It is made to enhance washing detergents.

Beartoe
10-09-2014, 12:11 PM
Them are all some great finds Al . I am jealous of the treasures you all have over there in the thirteen colonies.

BUT...

The oldest thing there could be that rolled up piece of copper. I recently read a story about a find in Montana. It was a cache frpm early American Indian (for lack of a better description). The Indians made Tinklers. Rolled up pieces of copper with engraved decorations. The Tinklers were then strung on some string worn as a necklace or clothes ornament, then allowed to tinkle as you moved about.

Maybe you should take a closer look.

Beartoe
10-09-2014, 12:51 PM
Here is an exxample of a tinkler from Ohio.

chief5709
10-10-2014, 04:34 AM
Congrats! that button is a great find! I love those old militia buttons :thumbsup02:

Tony Two-Cent
10-12-2014, 08:21 PM
Incredible bunch of finds there, Al! Being a coin person I love the 1841-O seated dime, but wow, that Massachusetts button is really beautiful! Amazing find!

:perfect10: