PDA

View Full Version : 10 x 14 SEF coil

coinhunter8898
06-18-2010, 06:57 AM
Was wondering if any of y'all have tried the 10x14 SEF coil that Kelleyco is offering. I was fixing to order the 10x12 coil when I noticed that they had the 10x14 coil. Haven't heard anything about this coil yet so any input would be appreciated. Thanks

CyberSage
06-18-2010, 07:19 AM
It is a monster size coil. It works well and remains sensitive to smaller targets. I had the opportunity to compare it directly with the 1:blackeye:12 SEF which I own. Lowjiber loaned me his for awhile. If you are going to hunt open fields this would be a good choice. I much preferred the 1:blackeye:12 for parks and all all around hunting however. They are not V rated coils so your sensitivity will need to be set a little lower than the stock D2 coil. Even with this adjustment they still run deeper than the D2 coil. Frequency response is slightly elevated in the 22.5kHz and you will need to adjust for this by accepting -95,-94 and possibly -93. If your ground VDI falls in this area it is going to be a bit noisy for you. High mineralization soils will be noisy as well. A slow swing style in theses situations will help.

Keep Swing'in
Jack

yazoo
08-14-2010, 07:25 PM
I did some air testing with my 1:blackeye:12 SEF against some of my other coils. It went sorta like this D2 about as deep for the most part . SEF would not pick up in 22.5 when using analize in PP mode, this was in Single freq. and best data. Would not see gold in 22.5. Tested 6X8SEF in the same manner and it would see gold, and 22.5 would be a dominate factor when PP. Conclusion is dont look for gold while expecting 22.5 to show dominant. All SEF coils may not react the same so I would do your own testing to make sure what your SEF coils do. H.H. Yazoo

silysavg
04-18-2011, 01:44 PM
It is a monster size coil. It works well and remains sensitive to smaller targets. I had the opportunity to compare it directly with the 1:blackeye:12 SEF which I own. Lowjiber loaned me his for awhile. If you are going to hunt open fields this would be a good choice. I much preferred the 1:blackeye:12 for parks and all all around hunting however. They are not V rated coils so your sensitivity will need to be set a little lower than the stock D2 coil. Even with this adjustment they still run deeper than the D2 coil. Frequency response is slightly elevated in the 22.5kHz and you will need to adjust for this by accepting -95,-94 and possibly -93. If your ground VDI falls in this area it is going to be a bit noisy for you. High mineralization soils will be noisy as well. A slow swing style in theses situations will help.

Keep Swing'in
Jack

Jack, or anyone else with 10 X 12 SEF experience,

I just now ordered the 10 X 12 SEF through Kellyco. Their ad says this - 10x12 SEF (Butterfly)
Search Coil for White's
(Spectra V3/V3i/DFX/MXT/M6)
Cat# 134-10x12w

Does this mean that it is now rated for the V3i?

The other question is - when telling the V3i what coil I am putting on do I tell it 10 or 12?

Thank you

Mike

CyberSage
04-18-2011, 01:57 PM
It is not a V-rated coil. You might have wrap issues in Best Data mode. I would use Correlate or single frequency 2.5kHz or 7.5kHz. It is a 10 inch wide coil, so use the 10 setting. I have had very good results with the 1:blackeye:12. It is slightly deeper running than the D2 in my opinion, but not as accurate in frequency response during pin pointing. Good luck! Keep us filled in on your results.

Jack

silysavg
04-18-2011, 02:20 PM
It is not a V-rated coil. You might have wrap issues in Best Data mode. I would use Correlate or single frequency 2.5kHz or 7.5kHz. It is a 10 inch wide coil, so use the 10 setting. I have had very good results with the 1:blackeye:12. It is slightly deeper running than the D2 in my opinion, but not as accurate in frequency response during pin pointing. Good luck! Keep us filled in on your results.

Jack

Thank you Jack for the 10 X 12 SEF answer.

I am sure that eventually I will understand what 'Best Data' and 'Correlate' means as I get to using the V3i more. As of today I have just used two stock programs - Coin & Jewelry and Deep Silver, about an hour each. They both worked since I did find coins on each outing and very little junk.

As I learn more of the menu items and their meanings it will all start to come together. I am still trying to figure out what 'normalized' and 'unnormalized' means in reference to VDI numbers. Lot of jargon based on White's machines. I have no prior experience in White's so it is a little slow so far.

Can't wait to post some finds that are not ordinary. I have to get a good grip on this machine's workings before the outing at Goose Pond Scout Reservation the end of May.

Mike

CyberSage
04-18-2011, 04:20 PM
I am still trying to figure out what 'normalized' and 'unnormalized' means in reference to VDI numbers.

White's original V.D.I. (Visual Discrimination Indication) was base on a 6.59 kHz or so frequency. Normalization takes response from other frequencies and adjust it to reflect the old standard. This way we only have to remember one set of numbers. By turning normalization off you can expand the range of low or high conductive targets depending on witch frequency is in use.