PDA

View Full Version : Iron and the E Trac

coinnut
06-18-2010, 12:58 PM
In fairness to other machines the E Trac does not see through iron. Physics just don't allow for a signal to bypass iron and reach below it for non iron. I will probably get some slack for that, but I feel that is a true scientific reality, waterdowned as it may be. BUT, I find the E trac has a huge advantage when iron and a coin are together, even at depth. It's separation powers are becoming evident, even more to me when a friend wanted to purchase an E Trac. My buddy wanted to buy an E Trac and I said, take a look at mine first. He's had a White's and a Minelab, so he has tried both types of machines. He decided that we could do his front lawn as a quick test. Since there was excavation work done, some targets may turn up. Nothing old, just maybe some wheats and Roosies or Mercs. I was explaining all the different features that I thought were of value that had been added since his older Minelab. One of them was, it's very good ability to see through iron lol I wasn't prepaired for this target to immerge from about 5-6. I had a good penny reading, a bit off of wheat, but still in the ballpark. But when I recovered the target I saw a small couple inch long piece of rusted iron. I said, this can't be iron fasling...it's too small of a piece of iron for that strong of a penny reading :confused: :confused:. Then I noticed a bit of a rim of a small cent peeking out from in between the iron. I couldn't believe it. Although he cleaned this with a brush, it still shows the cent imbedded between the iron. It was almost not noticible before the cleaning. So here it is, the E Trac strikes again. See through... probably not lol see real, real, real, close to iron....definitely thumbsup01

angellionel
06-18-2010, 01:17 PM
It is amazing, isn't it? I have had similar experiences with the E-Trac. Last year I found a silver crucifix embedded in what appears to have been the remains of a rusted cheap metal chain.

http://www.americandetectorist.com/myfinds/2009/October/CPH_crucifix_101109.jpg

I also found on two occasions seated dimes where a large rusted nail had been slightly above them. Perhaps not 'see-through', but good enough for me. lol

coinnut
06-18-2010, 02:04 PM
No doubt, the E Trac is better than most in and on iron, at least for me that is. I think it's ability to see the second signal is what allows it to find the good stuff. There must be just enough of the good target's eddy currents to be received by the coil. If you put a dime under an iron plate, the only signal you will get is a falsing signal on the plate lol But I'll take in ground results like this any time!!

Full Metal Digger
06-18-2010, 04:00 PM
Hey Guys, let me ask you a question. I am looking into getting an etrac. I do good with my ACE 250, but I'm ready for more. A local dealer who sells them told me the etrac is the same as an Explorer Pro, just without the computer download capability. Is that true? Or is he telling porgy tales?

Epi-hunter
06-18-2010, 04:13 PM
Hey Guys, let me ask you a question. I am looking into getting an etrac. I do good with my ACE 250, but I'm ready for more. A local dealer who sells them told me the etrac is the same as an Explorer Pro, just without the computer download capability. Is that true? Or is he telling porgy tales?

I would recommend finding a different dealer. That's not even close to being true. I've used both, and they are extremely different.

Minelab makes very clear statements that not only is the E-Trac not meant to be an Explorer upgrade, but that it is considered to be an entirely different family from the Explorer series. Any reputable dealer should know that.

If you want a recommendation of a good dealer, call Ralph at SunRay in Hazleton, Iowa. He knows tons about the E-Trac, is a Minelab dealer, and is extremely helpful.

coinnut
06-18-2010, 04:33 PM

I believe the only thing they have in common is the Pro coil lol and the Minelab name on the side too ;) I wouldn't believe that for a minute. The E trac has the fastest processor to date for their machines. I bet he doesn't have an E Trac to sell you, but if he did, he would be telling you how completely different the machines are rofl

frhamlet
06-18-2010, 06:38 PM

Although they may be similar in the way they work, the etrac is a complete redisign when compared to the se. Software is also different. The fe has been modified to remove the s curve. I have not owned the se but those who have owned both say the etrac ups their finds ratio.

Ill Digger
07-06-2010, 12:15 PM
Well I just got an E-Trac and don't have much in the way of exsperience with it but I have seen on one occasion of it's ability to see a iron and conductive target at the same time. Here's what I thought was a penny with a nail through it. It turns out it's just a copper washer (I guess) with a nail through it. It was a mixed signal .

angellionel
07-06-2010, 12:47 PM
Well I just got an E-Trac and don't have much in the way of exsperience with it but I have seen on one occasion of it's ability to see a iron and conductive target at the same time. Here's what I thought was a penny with a nail through it. It turns out it's just a copper washer (I guess) with a nail through it. It was a mixed signal .

That is a great example, Tim. thumbsup01

randy
07-06-2010, 01:33 PM
Can you better describe the mixed signal. I get what seem to be mixed signals all the time, but they always seem to be iron. I've stopped digging them. What made this signal seem different than a normal iron signal that seems to just bounce around. TIA

angellionel
07-06-2010, 01:49 PM
Can you better describe the mixed signal. I get what seem to be mixed signals all the time, but they always seem to be iron. I've stopped digging them. What made this signal seem different than a normal iron signal that seems to just bounce around. TIA

I'm sure Tim will provide input based on his experience, but there are two things I look for to exclude iron when hitting on such seeming 'iffy' signals. First, the target must pinpoint at the same location both in discriminate and pinpoint mode. If it nulls in pinpoint mode, then I ignore the target. If it does register in pinpoint mode while also increasing in volume as you move the coil away from where the discriminator indicated the target should be, then I would also further check the target while in discriminate mode. If the target registers as being deep, I would dig the target. I have found silver dimes next to large pieces of iron that way.

Second, while in discriminate mode, the Fe numbers must not stick to the 26 and higher range (no bounce). If they do, then I am fairly certain it will be iron. If the Fe numbers bounce to the lower numbers as well, then I would check the target further.

In the type of example Tim provided, those signals are a blend of high-pitched, flutey silver-like tones, and screeching iron tones, with a variable Fe bounce.

CyberSage
07-06-2010, 01:50 PM
This looks like a cumulative effect of the overall target with the higher conductor having dominance. You can see this effect if the targets are close enough together not to confuse the filters. It will show up more often in mixed modes, (a combination of motion mode and all metal.) I think the E-Trac along with other new generation detectors do a better job at picking out these type of close proximity targets in motion mode. I have noticed a lot of my finds these days are accompanied by iron items. This is why they have been missed by previous detectorist hunting the same area.

Here is a Rosie that was found right next to an old rusty metal screw
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o187/CyberSageBH3300/OldMainRosie.jpg

This one just blew me away! That is a rusty beer bottle cap to the left of a very nice Barber Dime. It was directly over the dime and to the side about an inch. I dug it first and then pinpointed the dime down another 2 inches. Go figure?

Jack
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o187/CyberSageBH3300/BarberDig.jpg

angellionel
07-06-2010, 01:56 PM
I agree, Jack. John (midas) has been having great success at some old sites with his V3i where iron is a problem.

Ill Digger
07-06-2010, 09:55 PM
I'm sure Tim will provide input based on his experience, but there are two things I look for to exclude iron when hitting on such seeming 'iffy' signals. First, the target must pinpoint at the same location both in discriminate and pinpoint mode. If it nulls in pinpoint mode, then I ignore the target. If it does register in pinpoint mode while also increasing in volume as you move the coil away from where the discriminator indicated the target should be, then I would also further check the target while in discriminate mode. If the target registers as being deep, I would dig the target. I have found silver dimes next to large pieces of iron that way.

Second, while in discriminate mode, the Fe numbers must not stick to the 26 and higher range (no bounce). If they do, then I am fairly certain it will be iron. If the Fe numbers bounce to the lower numbers as well, then I would check the target further.

In the type of example Tim provided, those signals are a blend of high-pitched, flutey silver-like tones, and screeching iron tones, with a variable Fe bounce.
Boy I couldn't say it any better than that. Some times when your coming off a big piece of iron or nails I'll get a repeatable high to mid high tone. Then the target will pin point in a different place .And so far about 98% of the time it's been iron. What made this one a little different was number one, it sounded the same but the tone never changed and reason number two, it pin pointed in the same place as it did in discrimination mode. And the numbers were bouncy. Like Angel said with a Fe bounce.

flueinc
09-16-2010, 08:34 PM
Coinnut i have at least 6 coins that don't show as much as the coin in the first post that i have found with the e trac . it gives the coin sound and when i dig it up i cant beleave that it found it with so much iron around it.

coinnut
09-17-2010, 03:47 PM
Coinnut i have at least 6 coins that don't show as much as the coin in the first post that i have found with the e trac . it gives the coin sound and when i dig it up i cant beleave that it found it with so much iron around it.

Yeah, it really amazes me when you pull up something that shouldn't really read, but it does. I guess I have the old machines way of detecting ingrained in my head lol New machines are closing the gap on iron/coins and we better get used to it :clapping: So start finding all them old coins and nails together thumbsup01