PDA

View Full Version : Batwing or Baldric Buckle

don in ny
10-14-2014, 06:07 AM
Went by a house built in 1765 with some friends yesterday. Didn't find much as the soil had been changed so much, but did find this buckle in a section in the rear that hadn't been dug up. It's like a small size batwing buckle. I've added a photo with one I found earlier in the year for size comparison. Also pulled up the most bent up damaged wheatie I've ever seen.

del
10-14-2014, 06:19 AM
these types of buckles have a great look and I refuse to believe the notion they are for animals or some type of horse tack , they just have too much ornate style , very unlike the usual "D" type buckle associated with animal harnesses.

I like them Don :smitten:

Bell-Two
10-14-2014, 06:28 AM
Yes I agree they are too ornate in design not to be a formal style of buckle used for personal adornment wonderful find and a worthy addition to any display of finds. :congrats:

giant056
10-14-2014, 06:34 AM
Nice old buckles :cool:

Beartoe
10-14-2014, 07:44 AM
Nice buckles.

Wouldn't it be possible that the buckles were used for personnel adornment and for animal tack? Back when you did not throw things away a buckle could easily be handed down and used for animal husbandry.

don in ny
10-14-2014, 08:38 AM
Nice buckles.

Wouldn't it be possible that the buckles were used for personnel adornment and for animal tack? Back when you did not throw things away a buckle could easily be handed down and used for animal husbandry.

Actually, these buckles were used for personnel adornment. The larger one would have been worn across the chest and I believe the smaller one was used for attachments to the belt. Here's a photo showing a reproduction one to give you an example. http://www.thecelticdragon.com/skull-baldric.html

Lodge Scent
10-14-2014, 03:18 PM
That's horse hardware ! Just kidding! I also believe they are for personal accouterment and just too nice for your average nag to be sporting. Nice patina on that one. Great find!

aloldstuff
10-14-2014, 03:37 PM
Love the patina and worthy of a display. I also believe that they were used for personal wear.

OxShoeDrew
10-14-2014, 06:05 PM
Hey Don, I found the exact same buckle a few weeks back. http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/showthread.php?16274-Weekend-s-Finds
Congrats!