PDA

View Full Version : Digger Don was right I did have a great day!!!

zrickkid
10-14-2014, 04:11 PM
Part 1........
So Diggers Don, Al and and I were going over a place I had hunted before with a friend of ours Etrac Tim and we are finding the usual stuff when a gentleman I recognize comes up to us and strikes up a conversation. He was driving and saw us detecting and stopped by with a curious piece of information. As it turns out he saw Tim and I and said that the last time we detected his house one of us left our detector there and it was sitting at his house on the front porch waiting for its owner to reclaim it. THAT OWNER WAS ME!!!!!!!!! :omg:A few months ago I filled out a police report stating that my V3i had been stolen from my car along with my baseball equipment from my car in the driveway of our home. Well the baseball equipment was stolen but the detector was not! We were just yacking away about detecting and our finds and I walked away without putting it in the car! I later went to ask permission at another house and was told a polite no so I went home and the detector went missing......
Part 2.
Fast forward a few months.....So I go to the guys house and get the detector and it still turns on. Great! the batteries are running low so I go and buy some. The guy who found the detector was a great guy and said we could detect his 1873 home any time we want even if he is not home. So I figure what the heck and I go over there with Don and Al, Tim joins us later. We are there for about 30 minutes and no luck in the front so I decide to go into the back yard. My first coin signal of this hunt is an +81-83 at about 4 inches. So I figure clad dime or quarter....so after digging the plug at about 5 inches out comes this dirty little disk. I run out to the front to show Don and I tell him I think I found a 2 center!! the coin is sooooo dirty and worn and is a bit thin but after a very cursory clean up it turns out I was wrong it was not a two-center after all :shocked04: the we realize what it is...
its a draped bust HALF-CENT :shocked05: I believe it is dated 1804. Cant tell what variety but its definitely 1804. So im just floating on air since then. Not only did I get my baby back but a bucket list coin that I probably wouldnt have even put on that list in the first place based on where we live in Illinois and the rarity of one being found. I posting a couple of contrasting pics that I hope shows the details enough to share with you folks here on the forum. Man what a day.

Nesdore
10-14-2014, 05:03 PM
:shocked05: Wow that is an awesome find Congrats.....glad you found your detector good thing you left it at an honest persons house people like him are hard to find nowadays :thumbsup01:

aloldstuff
10-14-2014, 05:03 PM
And what a day you had. Getting back your V3i is tremendous, sorry to say much better than your 1/2 cent. Not saying that the 1/2 cent isn't a great find but.....but....you got your baby back.

:congrats:on a fantastic day and for posting this. It put a smile on my face.....:)

Isaac
10-14-2014, 05:44 PM
All I can say is WOW!!! What a spectacular day you had!!!!!!

whammy
10-14-2014, 06:03 PM
What an awesome day and find. Think I would have bought a lottery ticket on the way home.

Cheap Thrills
10-14-2014, 06:09 PM
What an amazing turn of events !!!:shocked05:Congrats on both recoveries .:thumbsup02::yahoo:

Digger Don
10-14-2014, 06:11 PM
That was was one awesome day you had. First your detector, then the half cent.WOW.
I wish I could describe to the readers how excited you were both times. Bu I guess they could imagine.
I can't really see the date in the photos, But when we cleaned at the yard, I clearly saw the 1804 !!
Great Job, I guess your detector missed you too.

Tony Two-Cent
10-14-2014, 06:53 PM
What an amazing turn of events, getting your V3i back AND finding a spectacular coin! I hope that people appreciate how incredible it is finding a draped bust coin in Illinois! It is a VERY rare occurrence. In fact, off the top of my head I can't think of anyone else who's done it.

HUGE congrats, Ricky! :notworthy: :clapping:

zrickkid
10-14-2014, 07:21 PM
Thanks Tony. Oh and Don im so glad you were able to witness both events. This day will rank up there for a while.

Fire Fighter 43
10-14-2014, 10:37 PM
Nice find and I'm happy to hear you got your detector back, WTG.

Beartoe
10-15-2014, 08:20 AM
I would probably cry if I lost my V3i. :crying02:

del
10-17-2014, 02:56 AM
what a "roller coaster " ride of emotions that day was Ricky , mega congrats on the draped bust copper :notworthy:

The Rebel
10-18-2014, 08:01 PM
WTG on hitting it outta the park (Recovering your tector, the DB & the permission)! WHEW big relief that your tector wasn't stolen