PDA

View Full Version : Return trip to my new cellar yields a COPPER and other Goodies.

RIdirtdigger
10-14-2014, 06:48 PM
I headed up to Massachusetts today after my college class got out to make a return trip to the cellar. The weather was a lot nicer this time around and it was actually quite warm. I headed into the woods with my AT pro and traveled to the cellar hole. I got a modern wrist watch a little way from the hole, only about 2 inches down and made of stainless steel. I get a mid tone to the side of it and out pops a colonial buckle frame. This got me very excited. After that I didn't find anything for a little bit until I got another mid tone close to the surface and out pops a gorgeous buckle with the iron clip inside. I was getting pretty excited. A little bit later I dug a flat button on the edge of the hole. So far no high tones though. After digging a few iron objects, I move a little bit to the side of the cellar and finally here that sweet melody of a high tone. The signal is coming in around 80-82. I have a feeling it is going to be a coin. I dig down 4 inches and hear a signal with my propointer. I then see a copper disk down in the hole. I pick it up wondering what it is, draped bust, CT copper? I very very lightly rub some dirt off of it and I see Britannica on the back so I immediately knew it was old. I was pretty pumped. After that copper I dug a piece to a colonial buckle. I was getting tired and was sweating like a pig. I started to head back to the house but got a 60's-70's signal on the path. I dig down about 5 inches and pull out a musket ball! This thing was fired too. I had a great day
After cleaning off my finds, I discover that my coin is a Woods Hibernia King George I halfpenny. This coin is my oldest coin ever although I can't quite get the date at the moment due to some gunk where the date is. What a great find!!! This cellar hole must be super old, probably pre revolutionary war. I can't wait to go back and hopefully dig some even better relics!!!4329443295432964329743298432994330043301

The Rebel
10-14-2014, 08:25 PM
Awesome finds!

Isaac
10-14-2014, 10:05 PM
Great digs today Jim. I'm happy that you got a copper and in such good condition :clapping: That copper I think is 1722-1724 which makes it almost 300 years old . Based on the relics that is for sure an earlier site. Keep pounding it, HH

Fire Fighter 43
10-14-2014, 10:30 PM
Great finds, WTG!

del
10-15-2014, 07:07 AM
nice buckles and copper , hope you find a few more around that area .

Tony Two-Cent
10-15-2014, 07:19 AM
Congrats on the Woods Hibernia and the other colonial relics! That's really cool! :thumbsup02:

It looks like the copper is in pretty good shape too with nice details. That's a terrific find! :clapping:

Drew will be jealous of your ox shoe. :lol:

Beartoe
10-15-2014, 08:13 AM
I was looking at the watch. I believe it says it is time to go back and look for more treasure.

Most excellent finds. :thumbsup01:

aloldstuff
10-15-2014, 03:27 PM
Very nice copper and relics. The copper looks to be in great shape for being almost 300 years old. Keep us posted on your future finds from this site.

RIdirtdigger
10-16-2014, 02:29 PM
The coin is a 1724 Hibernia