PDA

View Full Version : What do you know about the history of your area?

wescowood
06-18-2010, 10:56 PM
I live in Perkins, Ok. Some historic places or things that have happened in my area:
The town of Perkins used to be named Italy after the land run but was changed to Perkins shortly after.

Frank{Pistol Pete}Eaton. A famous law man in oklahoma used to live about 6 blocks from where I now live.

Twelve miles west sits the town of Coyle. The first recorded hand dug well in Oklahoma.

Roughly twenty miles away sits whats left of Ingalls, oklahoma. Bill Doolin and his outlaw gang known as The Wild Bunch used to use Ingalls as a safe haven. An old story I have heard for years is that Bills wife wanted to go hear a preacher that had traveled to their area to preach a sermon. Some folks got rowdy during the sermon, giving the preacher a hard time while trying to preach his sermon. Bill Doolin stands up and pulls his gun and tells those causing trouble that he would kill them if they didnt quiet down or leave. I can only wonder how the preachers sermon continued after that.

Ingalls, Oklahoma is also where Bill Doollin and his Wild Bunch got into a shootout with deputy marshals that ended badly for the marshals.
These are a few of the things that have happened around my area. What about your area
HH, Wes

coinnut
06-19-2010, 08:28 PM
Sounds like the wild west lol I used to watch Cowboy films with my grandma when I was young and that brought back memories :yes: Around here (MA) we mostly had battles with the Indians. There are many accounts of villages burned and revenge taken. It started with colonists taking land and pushing around the Native Americans. For about a year there was King Philip's War (@1675). This was the first major battle against the natives. We also had a counterfeiting ring operating around the hills of Westfield, MA in the 1800's. New York's Machin Mills was counterfeiting King George's Coinage and is better known then our little operation. lol There is so much history in our country that is almost forgotten.

tanacat
06-20-2010, 11:05 PM
Great topic!!! I feel fortunate to have such a great database online- Kentucky Historical Society... I wonder if it's like this everywhere but here in Lexington, Ky, everywhere you turn there's a historical marker! (I wonder how many wrecks occur from people slowing down to read them lol)

In the heart of downtown reads: Under Vine Street flows the Town Branch of Elkhorn, the stream upon whose banks Lexington was established in 1779. Used in the early days to bring merchandise to Lexington from Ohio River. On Town Branch was launched Edward West's steamboat in 1793. Heavy floods troubled Lexington until a large underground channel was built in 1930s.

Here in my parts is horse country, so there's LOTS of horse related history. Camp Nelson National Cemetary you've prob heard about and surely Daniel Boone! I think he has about 12 cabins you can visit in my parts lol He moved around! This is making me want to look up more detailed history...

tanacat
06-20-2010, 11:06 PM
During the Civil War, Camp Nelson had an important role in supplying the U.S. Army, caring for the sick and wounded and acting as an enlistment station for African-American soldiers. The post was established in 1863 and contained numerous shops for blacksmith work and the construction of wagons and ambulances, as well as buildings for storing supplies and artillery equipment. Camp Nelson included barracks, headquarters buildings and a 700-bed hospital. There were three types of medical facilities on the post: a hospital for military prisoners; an acute general hospital; and the rehabilitation unit. In addition, Camp Nelson served as a major center for the recruitment of black soldiers of the U.S. Colored Troops (USCT). After the war, the base was designated an official refugee camp by the federal government and placed under the direction of the Freedmen’s Bureau.

By 1863, the Army had selected a small plot of land next to the hospital as a graveyard for the men who died at Camp Nelson. Life at the military camp was often harsh and men fell victim to disease and common illnesses. A total of 379 men were buried here, designated Graveyard No. 1, between June 1863 and July 1865. A second area, Graveyard No. 2, was later added; it is the present location of the national cemetery. According the cemetery records, approximately 1,180 men were buried here by February 1866.

After the end of the Civil War, the federal government initiated a program to locate and reinter Union dead in national cemeteries. As a result, in June and July 1868, a total of 2,023 remains were removed from areas in Kentucky such as Frankfort, Richmond, London and Covington and reinterred at Camp Nelson National Cemetery. Because of the camp’s significance as a USCT recruiting base, a large number of these soldiers are interred at Camp Nelson. The remains of Confederate prisoners of war originally buried at Camp Nelson National Cemetery were all removed, either to the Confederate lot in the cemetery at Nicholasville or local private cemeteries. With the exception of two graves removed from Covington and alleged to be Confederate soldiers, there are no Confederates interred at Camp Nelson.

The cemetery has been substantially expanded, although the historic section is enclosed by a stone wall and features a fully restored superintendent’s lodge built in 1870. Camp Nelson National Cemetery was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1998.

sjv
06-21-2010, 08:35 AM
I'm with you coinnut. Been doing alot of research in our area and it seems like there's just as many counterfeits than genuine coins especially with the Copper panic, the silver/ gold confiscating by the Government among other things like private coin maker's (Higleycoppers, Machin mills, fugios etc. ). I read that each person could only have so much silver and gold at one time which wasn't much. That's why they hid their coins, The problem is finding the caches. I believe at most cellar holes is a secret hiding spot. Might be too deep to locate unless you have the money for a ground penetrator. You see that documentary on Jesse James lost treasure. It's a good one. They found coins feet down. What the heck, Maybe it's more lucrative to go meteorite hunting in the desert. One meteor could earn you hundreds of thousands in cash. :crazy: but i'm sure it's worth it. :happydance01: