PDA

View Full Version : A few finds and my oldest coin - 10/18

Trooper Bri
10-18-2014, 05:27 PM
Did basically the same thing as last Sunday. Spotted a couple walls on Google, then took a ride. Got in a couple hours before a downpour chased me out.

First spot was a nice level area that looked promising. Was getting iron targets scattered about, but nothing good sounding. So, started digging to see what it was. Square nails, mystery iron chunks, and other stuff you'd hope to find in the woods. Surprise was the 2-piece iron monkey. I think it's a monkey anyways. 4" tall. Too back the back piece was broken, but it was maybe a foot from the front half. Didn't find anything else of interest, and moved on after 45 minutes. I wonder if it's been hit before.

Wandered down an old path and got the rest of my finds. 2 small buckles, a thin 2-piece tin, a Zincoln, and what my detector told me was a 2'nd Zincoln even deeper, turned out to be my oldest coin yet. A crusty 1880 IH! Hoping it'll clean up. Found a bit more crunk, checked out a couple more of those nice level areas, and after some light rain I was OK with, it started raining hard. Wasn't ready for that. Had a ziploc over the head, but all I had for the box was the small towel I always carry. Time to go!

Thanks for reading, and on with the pics. Monkey input is welcome. My guess is maybe a piece off a cast iron bank? I'm hitting the local hardware store tomorrow for distilled water. I want to tinker with electrolysis soon, and have something other than farming crunk to do it with.

Tony Two-Cent
10-18-2014, 05:36 PM
Congrats on the Indian Head! :clapping:

Being a comic book collector, I recognized the cast iron figure immediately. It isn't a monkey, it's the Yellow Kid. Do a Google image search for "Yellow Kid cast iron" and you will see several examples.

Here's one currently on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1920s-Cast-Iron-Kenton-Yellow-Kid-w-Buster-Brown-Dog-Tige-Cart-7-3-4-long-/361084209332?pt=Vintage_Antique_Toys_US&hash=item54124bc8b4

aloldstuff
10-18-2014, 05:39 PM
Glad ya got out, hope to see that monkey after you do your electrolysis thing. WTG on getting your oldest coin yet. Thanks for putting up the picture of the ziplock on your detector and not "your" head.:lol:

Trooper Bri
10-18-2014, 05:51 PM
Wow, that was quick! Thanks Tony. Now I have to go back and try and find the cart & dog/goat. :lol:

del
10-18-2014, 05:57 PM
hey Brian , congrats on your oldest coin :cheering: hope the indian cleans up . the Yellow kid cast iron is pretty cool (Tony don't know how you id'ed that thing :wow: , what is the story on it anyways ??)

Trooper Bri
10-18-2014, 06:16 PM
I'm chipping away at the obv side with a toothpick now Dan. The edges a little eroded, but the detail on the face is in great shape, and has nice patina.

What's the best way to get rid of the remaining dirt the toothpick can't get and not wreck the patina? Distilled water soak and a light brush?

del
10-18-2014, 06:24 PM
Brian, if the coin has the nice slick green patina under the crust the toothpick can't hurt the coin's surface but the edges can be brittle so you have to be careful near them. sometimes a ice long soak in water then sitting the coin very close to a heat lamp or flood light will loosen the crust more.

OxShoeDrew
10-18-2014, 06:29 PM
Nice ID Tony. I'm certainly no expert on cleaning coins but when I use a tooth pick I use it in small circular motions...and I stay away from the edges of IHs...they always chip. I ruin more IHs than I improve :lol: Nice going Brian....do they make a rain cover for your detector?

Trooper Bri
10-18-2014, 07:08 PM
Yeah, saw that on a cleaning vid Drew. Circular motion. Edges were beat up out of the hole. Rev side isn't going to clean up as nice.
Don't know Drew. Really don't see covers specifically for the Spectra, but the box is the same as the other series I think. The stand bracket I bought fit. So technically I could use one if they make it. I want to replace the oddball cover on it now.

del
10-18-2014, 07:18 PM
nice picture Brian , great job on the cleaning :clapping:

The Rebel
10-18-2014, 07:47 PM
WTG on your oldest IH! I got my V3i cover from these guys http://www.amazon.com/Whites-Spectra-Metal-Detector-COVER/dp/B008G7Y0LO/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1413679441&sr=8-2-fkmr0&keywords=BTD+Custom+Covers+LLC

I like the idea of the Digital ACU Camo as black might attract to much heat from the sun.
This is a message I got from them when I was looking at them:

We fill all orders in black unless otherwise requested. Current color choices are the digital ACU camo, woodland camo that is the traditional old school camo, coyote brown it is tan, foliage green it is almost silvery/gray with a green hue like the underside if a tree leaf and Realtree AP But that is a thinner 500 denier material. And black.

If you place an order just send another message with your actual color choice as soon as you order. We make all covers to order, current lead time is 24 hours.

Thank you for your interest in our products.

John Emerson
BTD Custom Covers LLC

Digger Don
10-18-2014, 10:03 PM
Congrats on digging your oldest coin. You did a nice job cleaning it.

HEAVYMETALNUT
10-19-2014, 10:05 AM
nice job on IH and the cast iron toy is pretty cool!

MangoAve
10-19-2014, 10:27 AM
Yeah I can see how the thing would make you think monkey at first. I would think curious George. Lol. I did yard work before the rain hit. It doesn't even look like I did anything due to the heavy rain and wind. As for the strange reading. I actually was reading a full copper penny to a dime on the machine at one of the recent parks. I pulled out a nickel.

Nesdore
10-19-2014, 10:32 AM
Congrats on your oldest coin and one of my favorites to dig :thumbsup02: nice hunt

Robbie
10-19-2014, 02:13 PM
Nice going with cleaning your IH and your oldest. I used the electrolysis method myself just last week on a mercury that looked like it had a steel penny that caked on it. A long soapy bath and a toothpick would not do anything.

Lodge Scent
10-19-2014, 05:17 PM
That IHP cleaned pretty well. That cast piece is pretty cool.

Bell-Two
10-19-2014, 10:49 PM
Very nice finds and congrats on the Indian cleaning job!