PDA

View Full Version : yesterday.....a coinweight and a small cross.

Willems
10-26-2014, 06:48 AM
Yesterday i went for some old fields i never hunt before.
10 bad copper coins from the 1700.
And i found a nice coinweight and a verry old cross.
Greetings again from the other side.

MangoAve
10-26-2014, 09:21 AM
I didn't realize that was a cross at first glance. Especially near the feet. Ugh. I copied text but I hit the wrong icon to paste and new stuff copied. Oh well. But from the hand it's Antwerp style. Copper or brass obvi. 16th century. Somewhere under the Tudor section.

I knew counterfeits happened here in the late 1700s thru 1800s so I'm sure we had those weights here in the US. Most sites say it was only Europe, mostly England and France that had those. Nice finds.

http://www.colchestertreasurehunting.co.uk/c/coinweights.htm

Willems
10-26-2014, 05:38 PM
I didn't realize that was a cross at first glance. Especially near the feet. Ugh. I copied text but I hit the wrong icon to paste and new stuff copied. Oh well. But from the hand it's Antwerp style. Copper or brass obvi. 16th century. Somewhere under the Tudor section.

I knew counterfeits happened here in the late 1700s thru 1800s so I'm sure we had those weights here in the US. Most sites say it was only Europe, mostly England and France that had those. Nice finds.

http://www.colchestertreasurehunting.co.uk/c/coinweights.htm

Thanks, also we find the coinweights a lot in the Netherlands.
i have 8 of those.
Yess the hand is antwerp .
The cross is 17e century.
Thanks for your reaction.

aloldstuff
10-26-2014, 05:57 PM
Love those finds, :congrats:.

Fire Fighter 43
10-26-2014, 08:20 PM
Nice finds, congrats.

Tony Two-Cent
10-27-2014, 08:20 AM
Fantastic finds, Willems! Both came out of the ground in wonderful condition. How nice that you can clearly see the designs on both sides of the coin weight.

:congrats:

MangoAve
10-27-2014, 09:56 AM
Hmm. I remember something from a trip to Italy in '05. I had to research which of the non-overnight stops there were. Somewhere right after Perugia we hit Assisi and there was something about a cross on the field right out infront of the Basilica. I don't remember what the tour guide said exactly but seeing these pics sparked something from that trip. If your cross isn't broken at the top, it is most likely a Saint Francis of Assisi cross.

Willems
10-27-2014, 02:48 PM
Yess spot on.
It's indeed a 17e century italian cross.

Beartoe
10-28-2014, 08:50 AM
Most excellent finds. :congrats: