PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Coins

Beartoe
10-26-2014, 10:08 AM
I have been researching various ways to clean copper coins. Electrolysis. Chemical. Acid /vinegar. Even ultrasound.

All the advice says YES you can do that BUT DON"T ! Over and over again I see "DO NOT clean coins unless they are only worth the face value or less. Or unless you do not mind degrading the worth of the coin."

One thought is ... if you really ,really fell like you must clean a coin... then soak it in olive oil for years. The oil will preserve the coin and will eventually allow some of the crud to fall off gently.

I stuck my coppers in olive oil and will check them out next year. :interesting:

Happy Hunting Everyone

Nesdore
10-26-2014, 11:39 AM
Bear I have to agree with you about that but its just so hard to resist and be patient but I'm gonna try really hard not to lol

Beartoe
10-26-2014, 12:33 PM
Bear I have to agree with you about that but its just so hard to resist and be patient but I'm gonna try really hard not to lol

Hey Nesdore.

Those two Large Cents I found the other day appear to have some nice detail but they are both covered over with crud. I would really like to see what the 1813 looks like.

I put them in a small plastic jar with olive oil and marked the lid "Do Not Open Till Christmas 2015"

Maybe I will take a peek next Spring!

Nesdore
10-26-2014, 06:16 PM
:rofl: your a man with will power :lol:

The Rebel
10-27-2014, 09:09 AM
No need to do the olive oil soak. I dry brush mine (use a tooth pick on the stubborn crud), rinse off with water, pat dry, coat with ren wax and then slap in a 2x2.

giant056
10-29-2014, 02:49 PM
Lately I've been putting my copper coins in the bottom of a plastic coffee can, then I'll sprinkle baking soda on them and pour enough boiling water on it then let them sit til they cool and the dirt brushes off pretty good and repeat if necessary :grin: