PDA

View Full Version : Hunting an old camp with Illdigger

Fire Fighter 43
10-26-2014, 05:37 PM
A few weeks ago I obtained permission to hunt a camp that is about 100 years old. I wanted the first hunt to be an all day hunt to give me time to get a feel for the area. I also did not want to hunt it alone so I invited my favorite hunting partner form Il (Tim) to join me. We met early last Friday and were swinging the coils by 9am. Within 5 minutes I had my first deep wheat that was a screamer on the CTX. It is always a good sign when you get an obvious signal that's an oldie. By lunch break I had a pile of wheats and no silver Tim and the Etrac were kicking my butt. After lunch I regrouped and said I wasn't leaving without a silver. Within a few minutes I had a deep silver signal and was just hoping it wasn't another wheat. To my surprise it was a 1914 Barber dime. I guess that madeup for the slow start. The next silver was a 54 Rosie, then a Buffalo showed up with no date. The last two hours produced another pile of wheats and it was getting time to call it a day. I was 30 feet from the car and I got a nice 12-46 at 5 inches. A 42 Washington was in the hole. I filled in the hole and took one last swing, about a foot away I got almost the exact same signal. This time it was the find of the day a 1945 Walking Liberty Half. I ended the day with 45 wheats and $6.64 in clad. A great day of hunting with a good friend. Thanks for looking.

aloldstuff
10-26-2014, 06:02 PM
Great hunting on both your parts. A Barber and a WLH plus others and 45 wheat's......:congrats:

I hope that you will be returning as this site sounds absolutely fantastic.

I think that I saw a date on the buff, the last # being a 5 :dontknow:

wisconsin digger
10-26-2014, 06:53 PM
That's a great hunt. Nice group of solver WD

Digger Don
10-26-2014, 07:31 PM
Looks like you found a great site. You both did extremely well.
Congrats on all your finds, especially the Walker.
Great Job.

Ill Digger
10-26-2014, 11:09 PM
Yes sir! :yes: Now that was a good time!! :thumbsup02:
I can't thank you enough for thinking of me and inviting me along! :notworthy:You surely saved the best for last! Heck the 2 best for the last! :shocked04:
The Washington and Walker at the last minute is the best. What a way to end a great day of detecting!
Congrats on those beauties! :grin:

It was kind of weird and nice, hunting with you in nice weather for once. :yes::lol:
No :badday:, No :frozen:. Just:detecting: ,and :happydance01:! Good time!
That buff came out pretty cool lookin'. It has a redish/chocolate look to it in the picture.:cool:

Tony Two-Cent
10-27-2014, 08:08 AM
Looks like you found another great site to hunt, Jeff! You and Tim both got several silver coins, and a LOT of wheat cents!

Congrats on all you finds, especially the Barber Dime and the Walker! :clapping:

milco
11-03-2014, 07:34 PM
Great finds, sounds like a great time! Glad to hear you got permission for the camp!

del
11-04-2014, 04:53 PM
very sweet barber and walker Jeff :clapping: