PDA

View Full Version : An hour in Buckle Field

GKman
10-26-2014, 09:46 PM
Todd and I had a very productive hunt this afternoon. Several weeks ago I had sent Todd a lead on a place that my research lead me to believe showed some promise. Yesterday he checked in with a very nice landowner and got us permission. It is a field now, but at least 164 years ago it was a homestead. Unfortunately, I had to work today so I only had an hour to spend there and that was after a 40 minute ride there and a 45 minute ride back the other way to work.
Todd started working the adjacent corn field before I got there and when I arrived I started working my way to where I believe the house was. I started hearing iron and the first shards of pottery started to appear. Before too long the first button of the day came to the surface. Unfortunately the field was still wet from rain last night, and the field was pretty high so I had to swing hard to keep up the momentum but determination to make a couple more finds kept me going. In the end I walked out of there with a handful of buttons, two nice buckles and a half cent.
Todd stayed a bit longer than I did and very well too. We look forward to the field being cut or springtime so that we can get our coils a lot closer to the ground instead of about six inches above with all of the plant growth.

A video of today's hunt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tnexzgc8bSk&list=UUWzTgbwVf8eljqlbolU41vg

aloldstuff
10-27-2014, 06:47 AM
Some very nice finds. That field does look very thick to be swinging in. Is the middle item in the bottom row a coin?

:congrats:on some good research and getting the permission plus all you keepers

Tony Two-Cent
10-27-2014, 08:01 AM
That field definitely has promise! If you found that much with the vegetation so high, imagine how much you would find when it's shorter.

Can you tell the type on the half cent?

Fire Fighter 43
10-27-2014, 06:11 PM
Nice digs, congrats on a good hunt, WTG.