PDA

View Full Version : 31 Cats Eyes and 1940's Jefferson

MangoAve
10-29-2014, 06:38 AM
Yesterday I went out a bit after work. Stopped by this 1840's house but no one was home. The realtor I personally know as a friend. I worked with him for years at my first job. I saw across the street people were outside at an 1880's house. The guys were very friendly and trying to mention other possible places. He said he didn't have many great finds which was surprising. But eventually he said he had found hundreds of coins between the two properties. He has a Whites and said he did the yard himself many times. He was shocked there was a mill/distillery nearby. I learned that the house near where I found my musket balls there was a gold coin found. Gahh. Why wasnt that me who found it?.. Anyway. I still managed to pop a few coins out and a nice relic. I don't understand why lately nickels have been in a different range. A 1990 nickel I found at 2 inches rang up as expected, about 25 or 26. But the deeper nickels were much older and were ringing up just below a solid copper penny, around 74 -79. Copper usually is 80-90. I managed a 1940 Jefferson. Second year minting. And I pulled up this antique Cat's eye reflector. Something from the 30's. I didn't take a picture of the junk. One piece the guy's nephew mentioned it might be a snow mobile tread. I copied info for an ebay item I found exactly like the reflector.

1930's NO.32 PARSONS TOMBSTONE REFLECTOR WITH 31 CAT EYES. 5 1/8th INCHES TALL TO BOTTOM OF MOUNTING BRACKET. STAMPED PERSONS-MAJESTIC MFG. CO. WORCESTER MASS. U.S.A. & PERSONS NO. 33 & PAT. JUNE 18 1929, NOV.7 1933, FEB.6 1934.

Beartoe
10-29-2014, 01:19 PM
Cool cateye reflector

MangoAve
10-29-2014, 02:17 PM
Got this today.

Skamaniac
10-29-2014, 04:24 PM
I remember seeing those reflectors around older homes when I was a kid. Cool find.

OxShoeDrew
10-29-2014, 04:40 PM
"A 1990 nickel I found at 2 inches rang up as expected, about 25 or 26." Geesh, I never dig anything that low :lol: I'm being a jerk, I know you meant 55 or 56.
A war nickel today? Wow, the god of nickels is looking out for you of late. Maybe his/her name is HoboZeus?

Hey was that war nickel from the place the guy did "many times?"
I don't know why your deep nickels rang up higher :shocked01: Maybe someone will chime in.

Bell-Two
10-29-2014, 04:52 PM
When I saw the Catseye heading in your post I was thinking..How did anyone lose that many marbles! :lol:

aloldstuff
10-29-2014, 04:53 PM
Nice reflector. Your war nickel is great, what did it ring in at? Your 1940 Jefferson is actually the 3rd year of minting, 1938 being the 1st.

MangoAve
10-29-2014, 06:59 PM
Drew...wth!?!? Jk. Gold rings are 21 for me. Nickels 25 and solid pennies 88. Mine is 0-255 scale with silver dollars around 150 so yes I mean 25. Nickels are really low. But, lately they been reading around the 80-100 range in the ground. Maybe something with the colder ground or it being moist lately. I have no idea. Yet today a wheat rang up much higher for me. Like higher than a quarter. That was central ct. Back at my "honey hole" near my house the coins rang up as expected. Even a nickel. Could be mineralization.

The war nickel was at a park in central ct.

Bell, some people have lost all their marbles. Lol. It was the highlight being an uncommon find.

AL, I'm corrected. I am gonna have to check out of ground but it was high like a dime reading.

Trooper Bri
10-29-2014, 08:29 PM
Nice couple of finds Jim. Congrats on the war nickel. If a silver dollar rings 150, what the heck rings the higher end of that rig?

I've definitely lost a few marbles after the past year at work.

OxShoeDrew
10-30-2014, 04:04 AM
:lol: sorry, I thought because your coppers hit between 80 and 90 like mine do I assumed you went up to 100. Why would silver dollars ring at 150 on a 1- 255 scale? :shocked01:

Isaac
10-30-2014, 05:09 AM
The reason nickels read high when deep is because of the "halo effect" a strange phenomenon in which when the coin is not disturbed for several years some of the minerals will deep into the dirt or something or the coin will create some type of electronic field which makes it read higher. Nickels always read higher for me when deep... it's very odd. Congrats on the war nickel and other cool finds!

lee
10-30-2014, 06:13 AM
good day yesterday jim , thanks for joining me.
bri, i got two more silvers out of that park yesterday a 52 rosie and a 24 merc plus another wheat and what i think is a silver shield thingie.

MangoAve
10-30-2014, 06:46 AM
Thanks all about finds.. I kinda didn't add that to first reply. I was too busy heckling Drew to stick it right back at him. :lol: Good when you can joke on things .. like even leaving keys in the car. :grin: And apparently you can always tell when I post from my phone. I believe you have seen those autocorrect fails.

Bri/Drew, I haven't actually dug anything that was repeatable over 170. The falsing usually is a qwuick ping of 254. We all know the 'repeatable' canslaw signals are there but readings are inconsistant. Sometimes the canslaw jumps up over 180. I am guessing there is something to do with the program of my machine. I don't have a logic analyser to decode processor instructions nor a way to see the code on the memory chips, but I believe it has something to do with the fact that it needs movement in programs 1-3 to actually read something in the ground. I pulled a disc yesterday that was stainless steel. I thought aluminum when I got it out. It's as big as a silver dollar and rang up like one, even tho we know stainless is iron. I think the machine reads the phase shift AND duration of reflected signal to determine a guess what is in the ground. In pinpoint mode I can swing too fast to not hear the signal (the single frequency where intensity is proportional to how close you are to item) that pinged in the normal program modes. If any of you have a huge chunk of silver like a silver bar we can test that theory. It should read a really high number.

Isaac, it's probably a combination of the halo effect and mineralization. They prob use different fertilizers on farms than they do on park grass. Maybe the dog owners try and correct that. :lol:

Lee, thanks for inviting me. I just knew that daylight savings is coming next week so around 8a it was striking me to get out of work early. There's still some vaca time left (which I do get paid for if I dont take) but with daylight savings I think I might have to utilize during work week just to get some time in before it gets dark. You just happened to be around on for a Wed. Those lights were a thought for summer but may be more tailored for fall. That merc was only a little worn around the edges but the date was still quite prominent. Umm... I am :shocked01: you didn't mention when I pulled my Jefferson out.

Trooper Bri
10-30-2014, 01:30 PM
Good deal Lee. Your dropped Wheatie was a 37, and I haven't identified the makers marks on that plastic fork yet. ;)

lee
10-30-2014, 06:11 PM
the plastic fork was quite a find bri , did it ring up like a copper :lolsign:

Jayson's Treasure Hunting
11-01-2014, 09:36 PM
Nice reflector, the cat eye in the title also made me think you were picking up marbles while hunting.