PDA

View Full Version : A Couple Of Hunts , A couple of Rosies

Digger Don
10-29-2014, 09:37 PM
Saturday,Alec and I went out for a few hours and did a little door knocking. We each got a Silver. I dug a 1950 Rosie and a 1987 dog tag. Alec dug a Sterling Silver religious medal. It is stamped sterling and has a blue plastic coating on it. He also dug some sort of porcelain bracelet, A Stainless Steel watch band and a golfers belt buckle.
Wednesday, I stopped at a house on the way home from work for about 45 minutes. I was able to dig a 1960 Rosie and some odds & ends.The 2 days netted us 9 wheats combined.
I find it a little strange that even though I'm hunting houses from the 1870s to around 1910, all I've been finding lately is Rosies. Some as deep as 9 inches. I'm not complaining, but I wouldn't mind an occasional Merc. LOL

aloldstuff
10-29-2014, 10:17 PM
Some times coins come in streaks. Right now you're on a rosie streak. I noticed in your signature that you have more rosies than mercs, I am just the opposite, more mercs than rosies. As the saying goes.....silver is silver and :congrats:on your and DiggerAl's keepers.

MangoAve
10-30-2014, 07:29 AM
I agree a bit with Al on that one. I too have more mercs than rosies, but mercs had more years for minting than the rosie had for the silver ones. Were these hunts in the afternoon? The 1800 house I hit a few weeks back where the guy said he had his own detector, he came out to say that for some reason late afternoon just around dusk is when you can find really deep things. I belive he did even say "like dimes at 9 inches deep that you wouldn't normally find".

Digger Don
10-30-2014, 09:28 AM
I agree a bit with Al on that one. I too have more mercs than rosies, but mercs had more years for minting than the rosie had for the silver ones. Were these hunts in the afternoon? The 1800 house I hit a few weeks back where the guy said he had his own detector, he came out to say that for some reason late afternoon just around dusk is when you can find really deep things. I belive he did even say "like dimes at 9 inches deep that you wouldn't normally find".
I've never heard that before. I know that a good rain helps for deeper targets. All my weekday hunts lately have been just before dark.
Maybe i'll hunt a few newer homes, and find a few Mercs. LOL

MangoAve
10-30-2014, 11:09 AM
I've never heard that before. I know that a good rain helps for deeper targets. All my weekday hunts lately have been just before dark.

I wouldn't doubt the plausibility. Different materials, such as dirt and metals, heat and expand at different rates and at dusk the heat is now radiated upward. And obvi the frost line is 18" which most detectors don't reach so ground temp constantly changes. I am not saying it does happen, just saying there can be reason to explain that it can happen. I hunt the majority of the times afternoons to late evening so to compare at like a 10:1 ratio, where, beyond that place X is still inhabited so fill might have been brought in many times while a cellar hole has been uninhabited and landscape hasn't changed depth much, yet now the alkalinity of soil changed. So many factors surround this so until there is hard evidence..... And yes, from him was the first time I heard it as well.

GKman
10-30-2014, 01:10 PM
Nice Finds.. I hope you start finding Mercs, and Barbers too...

wisconsin digger
10-30-2014, 03:54 PM
You know what they say Silver is silver. I actually need to find one more Rosie to hit my yearly goal. save one for me WD

POKIE73
10-30-2014, 05:15 PM
you guys are doing well door knocking i would have trouble approching people congrats on a good hunt

Cheap Thrills
10-30-2014, 11:29 PM
A very nice assortment of finds . Over the years The silver Roosies have been my most common silver finds about 4 to 1 over Mercs .

Fire Fighter 43
10-31-2014, 06:15 PM
Congrats on the silver and relics, WTG.