PDA

View Full Version : Remember Pearl Harbor

Full Metal Digger
11-02-2014, 06:00 PM
Hey diggers,

I spent 5 hours doing sidewalk strips and an old park (it actually sleeted on me for a couple minutes!). Slim pickings today but I did manage 2 pieces of sterling! The ring was only an inch deep and rang up crazy loud. It is marked 925 Thailand SK. At first I thought it was a fake mark (might still be for all I know) but the more I researched it I have come to the conclusion that it is sterling with a Palladium plating. The plating is starting to come off and it looks suspiciously cheap!

The other sterling item is a WWII patriotic pin. It was 10 inches deep and mixed with nails. I was 99.9% sure I was digging up a false signal and was a little surprised to see a silver edge in my dirt pile. The red and blue enamel pretty much vaporized as soon as the dirt dried. The pearl centerpiece is of course, missing. It probably rotted away decades ago. I am also attaching a picture of what it looked like originally.

I also dug 18 nickels today, two of which are buffaloes. 1934 and 1937. Thanks for looking and happy hunting, Dave.

Digger Don
11-02-2014, 06:30 PM
Nice digs Dave. Pretty cool Pearl Harbor Pin.
It's nice that both Buffs have dates.
As far as the sleet, I think we all need to get used to it. Unfortunately, winters on it's way :(

aloldstuff
11-02-2014, 06:54 PM
Got to agree, winters on the way. Nice recovery on the Pearl Harbor pin. That's an awful lot of nickels and congrats on the two dated buffs. :thumbsup02:

Skamaniac
11-02-2014, 08:17 PM
What a super cool find! :thumbsup02:

Jayson's Treasure Hunting
11-02-2014, 09:02 PM
Great finds!

Full Metal Digger
11-03-2014, 07:18 PM
Nice digs Dave. Pretty cool Pearl Harbor Pin.
It's nice that both Buffs have dates.
As far as the sleet, I think we all need to get used to it. Unfortunately, winters on it's way :(

Thanks Don. I love the WWII patriotic stuff. Can you believe I have found 12 buffalo nickels this year and those are the first 2 with dates!

Got to agree, winters on the way. Nice recovery on the Pearl Harbor pin. That's an awful lot of nickels and congrats on the two dated buffs. :thumbsup02:

Thank Tony Two-cent for teaching me how to catch those faint nickel signals! I'm surprised how many I find in hunted out areas.

What a super cool find! :thumbsup02:

Thanks man!

Great finds!

Thanks, I appreciate it.

del
11-04-2014, 04:51 PM
Dave with that large stone on that ring it would have made me :shocked05::bananadance:for a few seconds until I seen the 925 mark :lol: but the Pearl Harbor pin would of made up for any disappointment as I love old military memorabilia and thats a very cool piece of history.:clapping: