PDA

View Full Version : Any thoughts on this Button and Buckle

Bell-Two
11-03-2014, 04:24 PM
Just dug these, a different style button and a small buckle with a pattern on it what would it be used for. Button is different with concave back.

Full Metal Digger
11-03-2014, 05:55 PM
Those are INTENSE Tony! That buckle looks 1700's to me (as if I knew what a 1700s buckle would look like!) and the button looks like glass or enamel inlaid! Excellent finds! COngrats, Dave.

The Rebel
11-04-2014, 07:25 AM
Love the finds, especially the button. The blue & the gold gilt really makes it pop. I'm guessing the buckle is a sash buckle (and button) from the late 1700's or early 1800's.

del
11-04-2014, 08:29 PM
Tony , i would really like to see the back to that buckle and the button is definitely giving off some confusing looks . the overall look of the button's construction and even design is saying "older " type but the colors on the front look to be enameling paint which was very popular in use around 1900 give or take about ten or fifteen years.

Bell-Two
11-06-2014, 09:16 AM
Tony , i would really like to see the back to that buckle and the button is definitely giving off some confusing looks . the overall look of the button's construction and even design is saying "older " type but the colors on the front look to be enameling paint which was very popular in use around 1900 give or take about ten or fifteen years.

Here are a couple more pics of front and back. The site that this came from was on the 1855 map which is the earliest I have from this area. Of course the house was earlier than that other finds that could be accurately dated were some buttons including a nice Benedict and Burnham which was from 1835-1840.

del
11-06-2014, 04:37 PM
Tony is the back of that buckle just dirt filled or pretty thick with a flat back??

Bell-Two
11-06-2014, 05:05 PM
Tony is the back of that buckle just dirt filled or pretty thick with a flat back??

it is slightly curved and is somewhat thick. NO dirt in it in the picture.

del
11-07-2014, 06:38 PM
Tony , after looking around and you describing it i would say from its construction and looks its pre civil war era and mayber as early as 1800. what it may go to still puzzles me though , from its small size it maybe to a powder horn strap , cartridge box or the like .